Kubota Orange paint @ Home Depot

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Hi all,

New to the Kubota world so forgive me if I ask something stupid.

Apparently there are more than one shade of Kubota orange paint, correct?

I have been looking online for Kubota Orange spray paint so that when My EA pine needle rake arrives, I can paint it orange before assembly.

Low and behold, KO paint is expensive! Cheapest I found was about $12/can until I ran across this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...ge-Enamel-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-280142/206269514

At $25/case of six cans, seems like a deal even if it's not whatever the current KO shade is.

Has anyone here got experience or knowledge of which shade this is?

Thanks.

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Correct.... there is the 'old' - and the 'new' Kubota orange. The age of your machine dictates which one you may want to use.
Since mine is a brand new BX23S, new version then.

Any way to tell which Rust-Oleum is new vs. old?

Ah, what the heck. Ordered a case.

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Some other folks have used Rust-oleum 214084, and 250704 Lobster Red. If only doing an implement by itself the match is in the eye of the sprayer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Here is the real deal....

Rustoleum Kubota Orange is a dead match for Orange II which is late model (after 1970 build tractors). The Magic Kubota Orange that TSC sells is Orange I which is early model before 1970 orange.

If I were you, I'd buy the Rustoleum in a pint can and get hardener and add that. Makes the paint more glossy and it lasts longer too but you'll have to have a spray gun.

So if you have an old say B7100 and you want to paint something, use the Magic Kubota Orange and be happy. If you have a later model, use the Rustoleum and be happy. The ROPS grey and the transmission blue /grey have to come from Kubota. Never found a match on any store shelf.

I think Wolfman has a link to a supplier but the cans at the dealer are probably the same price and my dealer sells both ROPS grey and blue / grey trans paint in pints and quarts too (besides spray cans).

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
This Rust-Oleum Kubota Orange matched my BX2660 perfectly

Last edited:

traumadoc2b

Equipment
B2650 LA534 BH77 bucket forks snow blade box blade flail grapple harrow rake
Oct 31, 2017
Indiana
The ROPS grey and the transmission blue /grey have to come from Kubota. Never found a match on any store shelf.
I just did some work on my tractor, made and installed some rear remotes. I used the Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel (7784 charcoal gray). I think the color is a pretty good match to the factory ROPS/Kubota gray. Certainly cheaper and I can't imagine the Rustoleum is any less of a quality paint.

See for yourself - photo attached.

My tractor is a 2017 B2650.

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'll get a can. Does it come in pints and quarts or only in spray?

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
I wish Kubota would re-evaluate their paint qualities? Currently the manufacturer's orange fades to pink - which would not be my choice for a tractor!:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I know all too well. 2 M's another one coming and the 2 I have now are Mary Kay pink.... Seems like the non metal parts really fade. My fenders are fiberglass and a nice shade of pink.

Need a Mary Kay sticker for the window....:eek:

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I got some from Napa.

Did a quick spray on my snowblower, around the fan. Looked okay, but I will not recommend it based on that quick little spray with no prep.

It was only about $6 a can.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The "Majic" brand of paint TSC sells has a "new" spray nozzle that delivers the paint in a "circle" or "dough-nut" shaped spray. The problem with that is the center is too light and the circumference creates "runs" if you attempt to make the distribution evenly. If you pass the can left/right... then the band of paint will have a heavy top-line and bottom-line and will be too lightly applied in the center. If you use a circular painting motion it will be difficult to obtain consistent results.
Additionally the Majic brand has inconsistent drying characteristics from can-to-can. I've had some cans that dried in an hour ...and some that took all night and the next day to lose the tacky- ness.
The Rustoleum product is much better despite it's higher cost, issues an even spray pattern, and is dry to the touch in 30 mins on a warm day and within an hour or two on cold/wet days..
The only problem with the Rustoleum product is to be CERTAIN to remove the nozzle and clean it out with a good aerosol electronic cleaner or such if you don't use the entire can and wish to store it. Also, clean out the standing "snorkel" on top of the can with the same spray cleaner. (holding the paint can upside down to clear it will not work because Rustoleum is designed to spray paint in all attitudes... also a good thing if you consider it.)
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
The "Majic" brand of paint TSC sells has a "new" spray nozzle that delivers the paint in a "circle" or "dough-nut" shaped spray. The problem with that is the center is too light and the circumference creates "runs" if you attempt to make the distribution evenly. If you pass the can left/right... then the band of paint will have a heavy top-line and bottom-line and will be too lightly applied in the center. If you use a circular painting motion it will be difficult to obtain consistent results.
Additionally the Majic brand has inconsistent drying characteristics from can-to-can. I've had some cans that dried in an hour ...and some that took all night and the next day to lose the tacky- ness.
The Rustoleum product is much better despite it's higher cost, issues an even spray pattern, and is dry to the touch in 30 mins on a warm day and within an hour or two on cold/wet days..
The only problem with the Rustoleum product is to be CERTAIN to remove the nozzle and clean it out with a good aerosol electronic cleaner or such if you don't use the entire can and wish to store it. Also, clean out the standing "snorkel" on top of the can with the same spray cleaner. (holding the paint can upside down to clear it will not work because Rustoleum is designed to spray paint in all attitudes... also a good thing if you consider it.)
Hope this helps.
TSC used to sell Valspar spray cans and a couple years ago went to this majic brand which is terrible.
And don’t get me going on rustoleum. I hardly ever use a whole can at once. Their cans seem to plug up inside the stem. I tried storing the nozzles in solvent and cleaning out the stem with carb cleaner, but had to throw away several almost full cans. I’ll never buy another rustoleum product again. Lowe’s still sells valspar and some of the Ace hardware spray cans store fine. Plastikote is another one that is ok.

Sometimes you can find the Kubota branded spray paint somewhat cheap on eBay.

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
Bought Kubota orange rustoleum at tractor supply for about $8.50 per rattle can. The light orange in the before picture is “Kubota orange “ BPS (best paint sold) from TSC a few years ago. I think the rustoleum color is a close enough match. I am not a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks good to me. Besides the Rustoleum comes in pints and quarts and I have a spray gun so no nozzle issues with me....:eek:

I do add hardener to mine. Improves the gloss, speeds dry time too. I use the 'Majic' hardener that TSC sells. Works just fine.

Keep in mind though, if you use hardener in the paint, be sure to use it all up or it will turn to goo in your spray gun.

OEM Kubota parts use a white primer that I cannot find anywhere so I just use a white undercoat, let it dry and overcoat it with the Rustoleum orange. Need to do the tins on the M9 I just acquired.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Fat as I'm concerned there is nothing Magic about that paint at all.:D I will say their New Holland Red and yellow are a perfect match on my NH equipment though.

Hanksvwmech

Equipment
L185DT, BX23S, Woods Finish mower, 2006, 2023 Suzuki KingQuads, motorcycles.
Jun 24, 2019
Ashland, Oregon USA
Welded 3 chain hooks on my new BX23S and of all the different oranges I had nothing matched. Not red enough. Box store search for rustoleum or krylon in kabota/tractor orange, or Chevrolet high-heat engine (forum recom.)and no one had any. Auto parts house ha" Dupli-Color" brand Chevrolet engine Orange DE1620. Looks much closer, and for 7 bananas I'll try it! Near perfect.