Update: L35 Won't Move

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3750, L4310, B20, Genie Boom
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
Per Wolfman, I measured the ports on the GST valve and all were within range, and checked all linkages. After a couple of days removing the FEL and everything else. I was finally ready to split the tractor.

Today I split the tractor expecting to go into the GST.

I found the clutch disc completely worn on the pressure plate side. The pics shows the disc material collected in the clutch housing. The disc material was completely gone and the rivets were mating with the pressure plate.

I am hoping that the worn disc is the reason why the tractor would attempt to move forward or reverse, but would not. I am surprised that the rivets on the pressure plate did not make any noise of any kind.

The question is whether I need to do anything in addition to replacing the disc, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bearing?

Also, Anyone have experience with aftermarket clutch parts?

Attachments

Last edited:

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I would absolutely remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced if possible or replace. This is a must when redoing the clutch.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would absolutely remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced if possible or replace. This is a must when redoing the clutch.
I've worked on a few Kubotas that needed clutch replacement and have never had a flywheel resurfaced. Just never was a problem.

One thing to be aware of is there is a bolt alignment required. Make a mark somewhere to indicate where the flywheel is in relation to the crank, and when you reinstall be sure to hand thread all the bolts to be sure you got them correct. The holes are real close and if you force them with a wrench you can cross thread and cause problems.

Here's a clutch I took out of an L2050. Flywheel cleaned up nice, but I didn't have it resurfaced.

Attachments

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Is something leaking as well?rear main or transmission input shaft seal? Picture of the clutch disc it looks like it’s wet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You never want to resurface a Kubota flywheel, especially any dual clutch flywheel, the tolerances are too tight to mess with them. ;)

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
Good catch...the disc is wet. It fell into my pan to catch hydraulic fluid when I fumbled the pressure plate.

I haven't taken off the fly wheel, but are there some hints about removing the pilot bearing? I think it is pressed into the crank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've used both OEM and Aftermarket and never really noticed a difference in length of service or performance.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've worked on a few Kubotas that needed clutch replacement and have never had a flywheel resurfaced. Just never was a problem.

One thing to be aware of is there is a bolt alignment required. Make a mark somewhere to indicate where the flywheel is in relation to the crank, and when you reinstall be sure to hand thread all the bolts to be sure you got them correct. The holes are real close and if you force them with a wrench you can cross thread and cause problems.

Here's a clutch I took out of an L2050. Flywheel cleaned up nice, but I didn't have it resurfaced.
That is fugly....

More 'hair':eek: on the clutch parts that I have on my head..........

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

Did an L3400 last year, strikingly similar condition. Flywheel cleaned up fine. The big problem was that once it was split, it couldn't be moved-so it had to sit in the shop for a week...and it STUNK so bad that it would literally make you puke. Or it did me anyway. I used it as an opportunity to take a few vacation days. Man it was nasty.

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
Good catch...the disc is wet. It fell into my pan to catch hydraulic fluid when I fumbled the pressure plate.

I haven't taken off the fly wheel, but are there some hints about removing the pilot bearing? I think it is pressed into the crank.
Yep, a dowel that just fits in the pilot bearing, grease, and pressure.
Thanks, super hint!

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
A less messy alternative you can stuff a piece of white bread in there and that will work as well!