L3410 Steering directional problem

Westridge

Equipment
ME9000, L3410, G1800
Feb 27, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I have an L3410 that has a directional issue with its steering. When travelling at road speed it is very hard to keep it in a straight line, its continually wanting to dart to the left or right and needs constant correction. Its only done 1600 hours and all of the steering joints look to be good and tight so I'm wondering if:

* It needs its Toe ( in or out) checked and adjusted?
* There is something else I should check?

It is a 4WD HST model with turf tyres and underbelly mower. The steering is very direct only taking a few turns to take it from lock to lock. Could it be that it is just the fact that the steering is so direct and that this leads to a bit of directional issue at speed?

Any thoughts or sugestions would be appreciated.:)

Cheers

Westridge

Equipment
ME9000, L3410, G1800
Feb 27, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Could be an issue of not enough 'toe in'. The toe allows the tire to slightly 'bite' the surface of the road. Zero toe will cause the tractor to wander and display the side to side darting you describe.

Here's what I'd be checking and working on if that service issue showed up at my shop:

Tire pressures-all four at correct prressure, both fronts have or do not have tubes.
If rear tires are ballasted with liquid, ensure both had exact volume and lbs of load.
Tires in front are the same size, load rating, ply, construction and make
Check Toe-In, adjust as needed
Check and adjust steering box sector shaft free play
Raise front end, check front axle pivot/support for wear
Check front axle stub shafts for play in bearings
Ensure lug nuts are installed correctly, no wheel seperation/ broken welds or flex cracks on wheel hub mounting plate
Check all tie rod and drag link ends for radial/axial movement
Raise back end and check operation and free wheeling of brakes

Thanks for that, I'll work through the list and see how I go. Where can I find out the correct "toe in" settings for the L3410 :confused: