Cutting a PTO Shaft

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I just bought a 5 foot tiller from Tractor Supply and I need to cut the PTO shaft. I can use this tiller on either my B2650 or the Ford 3000 diesel we have at the farm. More than likely it's going to be used on the Ford 3000.

The shaft is currently 28 inches long when it's collapsed all the way down. It has a slip clutch on it.

From the Cat1 pins on the tiller to the middle of the PTO shaft on the gear box is 5.5 inches.

From the Cat1 hitch connection on the tractor to the end of the PTO shaft closest to the hitch is 18 inches.

This totals 23.5 inches. Take away 2 inches for safety, we're down to 21.5 inches.

With the shaft currently being 28 inches, that tells me I need to remove 6.5 inches from both sides of the PTO shaft.

Is that right? Seems like a lot to me.

I based this off of the YouTube video here.
https://youtu.be/0vBFJcvs5SE

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
first off - you need to cut both pieces! If you cut the outside and NOT the inside, the inside shaft will bottom out and crack something painful....like your checkbook!

Without placing it on the machine - raise and lower the 3 point to see what kinda numbers you are looking at, use a tape measure to get the number, and then cut it a bit shorter than that.

that video does a great job of explaining it - I have seen that before

RichM752

Equipment
L47TLB
Feb 28, 2017
Mount Shasta CA
I followed Ted's video instructions to fit my shaft on the snowblower. I'm not good with math so I used a calculator and everything worked out fine.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Keep in mind that the point where the pto drive shafts need to be the shortest is when the tiller gearbox shaft is inline(even) with the tractor pto shaft.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
An aspect not mentioned when considering changes to pto shaft length is how increasing the angle the pto shaft joints have to operate at makes a significant difference in how long the joints will last.

To reduce pto joint operating angles, some owners have found that the quick hitch kits push the implement back from the tractor thereby decreasing the pto joint angle.

Of course there are other factors to consider in such a decision such as hanging the tiller weight further off the back of the tractor will remove weight from the front axle.

The pto joint life can be a short as 20 hrs when operating at 25 degrees and as long as 450 hours when operating at 5 degrees.

Regardless of the angle you end up with, I suggest you estimate how many hours a pto joint has been in use and change it before it breaks as this avoids the damage to the end of the pto shaft supporting the joint.

The next photo shows a pto shaft with one of the yoke ears bent and now must be replaced.

Dave

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
I have now cut shafts for two tillers. Its seems like a lot to take off but I inevitably cut to little to be on the cautious side then have to cut more. As someone said above make sure you separate and cut both sides.