L2850 V1702 di > V2203 di conversion

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Well here are some teaser pics of the new to me newer version V2203 di engine I got from member cviola for my L2850 engine swap project.
For those in question of this project a quick update is I purchased the L2850 with known bad engine for a song and dance price with numerous attatchements. Found out the crankshaft had broken and upon doing some research found that the V2203 enginges would be a direct swap so the search started. Took a couple months to nail down an engine which took me off guard. Was being picky and wanted a lower hour engine and this one according to cviolas supplier cam out of a wrecked trucks refer and "Supposedly" has roughly 3k hours on it unlike the norm of 10K+ hour refer engines.
Here is a link to my original post with pics of the engine damage of the v1702.
Now the fun begins. i will keep things updated but will be a few weeks before getting too deep into it as work and vacation schedule the next few weeks and then getting a parts list of basics like gasket kits and seals ect ordered for it will take a bit.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25377
First pic was having it loaded up yesterday afternoon in back of my pickup at work where I had it shipped to.

The little B2150 got put to work unloading the engine this morning.

There was a question as to wether or not the exhaust manifold from my old V1702 would fit and work on the V2203 so I did a quick fit test and it will work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
When I swap the oil pans and drill the block for the dipstick i am going to pull a main and rod cap to inspect the bearings and crank journals before going any farther in case this engine is in need of some deeper work which I hope not.
Then I am going to do a valve adjust right away as well. And then pull the injectors and take them to the injection shop for a quick pop test and clean and adjust if needed and do a compression test at the same time.
Not going through this much work to blindly install a used engine of unknown maintenance and history without doing some investigation of my own.;)

Now I am in need of an engine manual or torque specs for things like rod and main cap torque, flywheel housing to block and flywheel to crank bolt torques and sequences if anyone has this and would be kind enough to share would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

clark_bailey and I have been corresponding quite a bit as he is doing a v1902 > v2203 conversion on a different model tractor and he has been in search of an engine as well so we will be walking each other through the challenges we find together, he has his own threads started as well, he went all fancy and built a splitting stand to make his project look all professional and all:p, but as of yesterday still didn't have an engine procured yet.:(

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Did a side by side look over to see what i am getting into and two main things are obvious, the entire front cover of the engine will need to be swapped over from one to the other as the new style engine has no mechanical tach drive and the oil filter position will not work as it will be in the way of the steering hydraulic lines and frame rails of the tractor and the side panel probably won't fit around it either and the front crank pulley diameter is wrong too so that will need to be swapped around.

The second is the valve cover has no oil fill cap so will need to figure out a way to add that or find a used top fill valve cover. I guess this is what I get for wanting a "New style DI" rather than an older style, some parts won't be inter changeable like the valve cover now.

Good thing i got the tractor for a good price as the nickel and dime process of this project is going to be cutting into the "Deal".:rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check your PM for a manual for the engine. ;)

My front cover has an adapter for the oil, but I didn't swap the front covers, so I too had the issue of no valve cover oil fill.

You can tap the valve cover for the oil cap out of the old head, it's a 1" NPT fitting.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Took a closer look at the valve cover and it does have the casting area in the cover that just needs to be drilled and tapped as you say, it is even cast with the bevel in it for the cap o-ring.

Do you know what size drill bit I need to use to drill the block for the dip stick?
I can just fit a bit into the hole and size it that way but thought i would ask if you know off the top of your head.
Where would you suggest for all my gasket set, exh studs, seals ect?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Took a closer look at the valve cover and it does have the casting area in the cover that just needs to be drilled and tapped as you say, it is even cast with the bevel in it for the cap o-ring.

Do you know what size drill bit I need to use to drill the block for the dip stick?
I can just fit a bit into the hole and size it that way but thought i would ask if you know off the top of your head.
Where would you suggest for all my gasket set, exh studs, seals ect?
I did the same match of the old hole on the drill bit trick.
Only trick is match the angle of the hole! ;)

I made the mistake of cheaping out and going with gaskets and seals from Kumar bros, most everything was fine but the rear seal blew out after about 3 hours of running, pain having to re-pull the motor and put a new seal in, second seal was from coleman's and true Kubota, and there seals are way better quality than aftermarket. ;)

For the exhaust studs here is one source, yea more parts then you need, but cheap enough.
Also when you put new studs in it use teflon pipe dope in the head side, as the studs go into the water jackets and they will leak if you don't use sealer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kubota-...59b1321&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=191632789836

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
In addition to the front cover, exhaust, and others, are you going to use the factory kubota tractor intake manifold and injector lines or the v2203 engine ones?

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
The intake that came on the v2203 is the same configuration as the one on the old engine and there is nothing that will need to be changed as fa as injection lines either.

clark_bailey

Equipment
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
last question until tomorrow :) the v2203 has the three wire start/stop solenoid and the old school like yours and mine have the single wire. Since the 3 wire solenoid is on the v2203, when you swap front covers and go with the 1 wire stop solenoid, is there a change inside the injector pump that has to be made to allow the engine to run?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You use the solenoid setup from the old motor not the new motor.

So nothing will need to be done to the new Injection pump.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Got some progress today, oil pans off pulled one rod cap and bearing looks like new put back on and torqued.
Got some pix of both engines on end and side by side to see the difference in front covers.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
View of the new style V2203 on left and the oldV1702 on the right with oil pans removed. I had already swapped the oil pickup tube over to the V1702 that i will not be using as the oil pans are different. You can also see the bigger crank pully on the v2203 on the left, not sure if i will keep the larger one or swap the smaller one over when doing the front cover swap, alternator and fan will spin just a bit faster but don't think the little difference in diameter will amount to a huge speed difference.

Close up view of the old V1702 front cover set up.

Close up view of the V2203 front cover set up.

V1702 closeup of tach drive and oil filter base mount on front cover.

Close up of the lack of tach drive and different style cover and oil filter base of the V2203.

View of the top of the engines side by side to see the similar intake manifold but other differences like valve cover from old on left to new on right.

View of the rod cap and bearing from #3 from front looks like brand new not a single mark on it. Reinstalled and retorqued.

Last edited:

clark_bailey

Equipment
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
the front end of your 1902 looks exactly like my 1903 so the front swap has gotta happen to fit the kubota tractor parts over the frame. Great job getting this info out, wolfman has to have been thru this a few times because he has been right on with the info. Can you school me on the bearing surface? not sure what i'm looking at, good, bad, more or less life left?

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
V1702 not V1902.
Bearing has no marks on it at all like brand new the oil sheen on it may make it look odd in pic

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Going to drop the valve cover off at the local machine shop tomorrow to drill and tap for the oil fill cap. I do not have any tools this big to drill a hole for a 1 inch NPT hole. Should only take them a few minutes so no biggy plus i drive right past their front door on my commute to work every day.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Machine shop dropped the valve cover off for me right at work and didn't even charge me for the project of drilling and tapping it for the oil fill cap. That's service, they had to bring other stuff out for us anyhow.:)

I feel the greatness returning to America already.:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Interesting to say the least. Wolfman is proving himself again,a great asset to this forum. And lastly, its great to have a good relationship with vendors like the machine shop where some tasks seem impossible but no big deal for someone with the tools.

Looking forward to seeing the smoke.....

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Interesting to say the least. Wolfman is proving himself again,a great asset to this forum. And lastly, its great to have a good relationship with vendors like the machine shop where some tasks seem impossible but no big deal for someone with the tools.

Looking forward to seeing the smoke.....
Yep, Feeling the greatness in America creeping back already.:D Can't say that enough, had the election gone the other way i would have likely been unemployed within the beasts term, being in the coal industry.
Will be a void of progress for a few weeks here out until about the first week of december, between having to work 11 days straight and getting off that work stretch going on a 10 day Florida vacation, hopefully the weather down there is as nice as it is in then upper plains states right now, set record high temps in the mid 70's twice in a few days for november already.:cool: 30+* higher than seasonal normal highs. Not a single person complaining here though.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Just ordered a complete v2203 engine gasket kit and exh studs from Kumhar brothers off e-bay.Should be here the day before i leave on vaca lol. :p

Well just spent some time trying to get the old half rotted off exhaust studs out, hit 50/50 there, got 4 out but they were extremely tight and rusted in the other 4 were rusted about half way through already and they just twisted off, they did do me a favor and left me about 1/4 inch sticking out of the head to work with though, time to break out the drill and drill them out now.

Last edited: