M7060 won't disengage from 4 wheel drive

Bobc

Equipment
M7060
Oct 26, 2016
Madison, Florida, USA
My 2 year old M7060 will not come out of 4 wheel drive. The lever appears to work fine up to engage down to disengage, but nothing happens when I try to disengage. 4 wheel green light is on and front wheels remain in 4 wheel drive. Lever does not seem to function.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Bobc
I have a 7040 which is likely quite similar.
The 4 wd lever does not immediately pull the fwd out of engagement.
As I continue to drive and turn the light will suddenly go off.
The front and rear axles do not run at exactly the same speed and you can build up some twist in the system which tends to hold it in gear.
Hard surface operation does not allow much slippage and tends to prolong the release.
Backing up and turning will sometime release it. I have not tried this but likely lifting the front end with the loader and with the front wheels in the air back up.
The more I watch the light the longer it tends to stay on :)

Dave M7040

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Two things are you still under the 2 year base warranty on the tractor? If so the dealer will take of it for you!

If you are outside of warranty, I would check the switch for the FWA lever and see if it's misadjusted! I was helping one of the techs in the shop and I was operating the lever and he was adjusting the switch from underneath wilst I watched the light. Same model with cab IIRC.

Pat

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
While I have a L4600 I have the same issue some times, to adapt I take out of 4x4 and back up a few feet then go forward. this has worked each time.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
My M7040 MFWD light is the same. I push lever down to disengage frt wheels and 4WD light stays on for a little while until stress on drive components equalizes. Ditto on need to back up to relieve tension on MFWD drive components. I've had to back up to disengage when using 4WD on some of my older 4WD pickups.

Last edited:

Bobc

Equipment
M7060
Oct 26, 2016
Madison, Florida, USA
Thanks for the assistance. Tried all of your suggestion with no success.

However, I am doing a lot of mowing and there was a lot of grass trimming buildup under the tractor where the 4wd switch and mechanism is. I did a thorough cleaning of the area, but it did not disengage. More cleaning and compressed air in the area expelled additional dust and trimmings and the 4wd finally disengaged.

Thanks for all your help. It appears that this area is not well protected and needs to be kept clean at all times!