Head Lights

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
We have a L2550. Just replaced the combination switch for the lights because in either of the two settings only one light comes on. Its odd because in the high beam selection one light comes on and in the low beam selection the other light comes on...... both lights will not burn in either of the two settings. All the dash lights work when the key is turned on. Any ideas?

I have two questions I need help with if some has any experience with this problem:

1. Does the L2550 REALLY have a low and high beam as the OEM switch suggests?

2. We put new tail lights on and they won't blink when the turn signal selector is moved to either side.

Are these options? I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We have a L2550. Just replaced the combination switch for the lights because in either of the two settings only one light comes on. Its odd because in the high beam selection one light comes on and in the low beam selection the other light comes on...... both lights will not burn in either of the two settings. All the dash lights work when the key is turned on. Any ideas?

I have two questions I need help with if some has any experience with this problem:

1. Does the L2550 REALLY have a low and high beam as the OEM switch suggests?

2. We put new tail lights on and they won't blink when the turn signal selector is moved to either side.

Are these options? I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
Check the color coating on your wires at the headlights. I'm betting both hi beam wires got hooked to one light and both low beam wires were hooked to the other.
It's pretty easy to do on old wires that look the same or have been painted over.

On the tail lights, there could be a bad blinker controller. Especially if they light up, but don't blink.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll second both of Daren's thoughts.

It could have directional or flashers.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Check the color coating on your wires at the headlights. I'm betting both hi beam wires got hooked to one light and both low beam wires were hooked to the other.
It's pretty easy to do on old wires that look the same or have been painted over.

On the tail lights, there could be a bad blinker controller. Especially if they light up, but don't blink.
Thanks for both of your quick replies!

Never thought of that on the head lights!! We'll check the wires. Where might the blinker controller be?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have two on mine, one for each side of the lights. Ones under the dash and ones by the rear clutch side fender. But mines an older grey market with turn signals. I believe on the newer ones had a computer board and was actually hazard lights in either position.

Go to this site and download the work shop manual for your tractor. It's a free download. It will have the wiring diagram in the manual to give you an idea of what your working with :D

Www.kubotabooks.com for parts manual.

For workshop manual. It costs 9.99$ but is legit

Www.servicemanualvault.com

Last edited:

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
BINGO! That was exactly what it was, both hooked to one light. I switched the wires and everything is working fine! Thank you..... that was a mystery to me.

Still trying to figure the tail lights?turn signals out.......... there is no mention of turn signals in the electrical diagram just hazard, working (left and right), tail (left and right) and hazard light left (if equipped).

From the diagram it appears all we have is a hazard light (left side only) and tail lights.

Now, my question is do all three come on when the key is turned on and STAY on or for example does the hazard light just come on when the tractor is in reverse?

Right now, the tail lights both come on when the key is turned to on. So my suspicion is they are always on?

Thanks again guys I really appreciate the help!

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
I have two on mine, one for each side of the lights. Ones under the dash and ones by the rear clutch side fender. But mines an older grey market with turn signals. I believe on the newer ones had a computer board and was actually hazard lights in either position.

Go to this site and download the work shop manual for your tractor. It's a free download. It will have the wiring diagram in the manual to give you an idea of what your working with :D

Www.kubotabooks.com for parts manual.

For workshop manual. It costs 9.99$ but is legit

Www.servicemanualvault.com
Thanks Daren, I did download the parts manual and will order the shop manual later..... boy coulda used the shop manual the last month! LOL

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's gonna be a simple set up on the lights, where they come on with the key. My bets is that it was just set up with hazard lights and not turn signals. If you look under the dash and trace the wires for the tail lights, it's either going to tie into a computer board, which should be attached to the switch. Or a little blinker module, which looks like a "C" battery with two screw terminals on top. Probably crome in color. At least they are that color on my tractor. Power wire comes from switch to the module, then out to the light.

I tend to refer to the parts manual more then the work shop manual. Parts manual gives you a decent picture to go by :D I could read the work shop manual a dozen times, but won't retain any of it till I actually do it myself. So I tend to just refer to it for torque specs if needed.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
OK..... I don't have blinkers. Got everything working with one exception. In trying to figure the headlight issue out I took the boot and bulbs out of the headlight, now I can't get the deadgums things back on! I have tried everything I know including putting grease on the boot and around the glass and I just cannot get that rubber boot to slip back over the glass flange.
Can anyone offer any tricks or experience getting them back on?