Another mandatory recall, for L3560, 4060 etc series

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Stopped by my dealer to ask some questions, and tech happened to look up my tractor and found this "Mandatory Campaign" for the L --60 series tractors that was issued in December after my tractor had been delivered. It is for a "Closed Crankcase Vent" problem, where, at temperatures below 0, a part might accumulate water and freeze shut. Damage to engine could result. A kit has to be installed. It involves serial numbers 30000 through 40700 approximately. Your dealer should contact you, but it never hurts to be proactive.

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
At my dealership yesterday and owner mentioned the same.

No timetable on warranty fix yet.

If tractor is going in will check on installing hydraulics to the fel for snow plow. Plow came with a cylinder but have it off and working it by hand. ..Wonder what cost is....?

SheepFarmer plz post when your repair is made.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Will do. They have to order a kit to install. Hope it comes soon, we are not out of cold weather, and I would not like to risk damage to the engine.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Iron peddler, I am bumping this thread to get it next to the other two campaigns. It will be interesting to see what they do when the techs come out.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
SheepFarmer plz post when your repair is made.
The tech came out today and replaced the "breather" and the "oil separator" and all the associated breather tubes. The names are from the parts diagrams which can be downloaded from Messick's website. I have labeled them as best I can from those diagrams and on a photo of my engine, which is taken of the left side. The new parts are covered with an aluminum foil insulation, and the breather has a diaphragm-like part that was susceptible to freezing replaced with a more open looking structure. The tech was on the clock, and it was cold out, so had to limit my questions, and so I am not actually sure how this is supposed to work? Gases come out the breather from engine, go to separator, then go to this other part on the input side???? Oil drains down to crankcase? or the other way around? Where is the water vapor coming from? Combustion by product? Seems like this would not be a new problem. If someone can help me understand this, that would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Bypass gasses come out the breather, and they could have some water vapor to them, just from condensation.
The bypass gases go through a oil separator to clean the oil out of the gasses send the oil to the pan, and then it sends the gasses on to the intake to be recycled and re-burned.
Excess oil would be bad, gums up the motor combustion chamber.

If the breather got condensation or water in it and froze it could blow seals and gaskets right out of the motor. :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We've had to do something similar to green motors that are farther north. Temps get so low, that any condensation coming out of the engine through the crank case vent will freeze and plug the vent. This causes pressure to build in the motor. Pressure has to release some where :rolleyes: So it will either show up as a weird leak or something strange and bizarre. We had a 300hp motor that would make a loud bang and shoot a tar ball out the exhaust every twenty minutes like clock work :eek: They ended up having to reroute the crank case vent back into the intake manifold to keep it from freezing. No more tar ball :D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If the breather got condensation or water in it and froze it could blow seals and gaskets right out of the motor. :eek:
Thanks NIW!

That would account for why he was sent right out as soon as the kit came in...the kit itself apparently costs around $400.

How much pressure is the breather part of the circuit under? It was not a nice place to work on, and there was an uncooperative O ring because of the cold, and I can imagine it not staying perfectly in its groove as the new breather was stuffed back in there.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Daren, this is a stupid question, but is crank case vent the same thing as the breather? :confused: Or is it a term for the whole shooting match? The mandatory campaign was labeled that, and I spent a long time looking through the diagrams for something labeled crankcase vent and didn't find it.

And I really hope my little orange friend never shoots tar balls out the exhaust!!!:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
They are the same :D Last one I had to deal with was on a deutz so their terminology popped into my head for it.

The breather doesn't have a lot of pressure normally, but if it's blocked then it will build up and increase. It's the same as cramming an apple in the end of a tail pipe on a car :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sheepfarmer, if you have any strange oil leaks appear on your tractor there is a quick easy way to test if the breather is clogged.

Have someone stand next to where the dip stick is. Start the tractor, run the rpms up for about 10 seconds. Run your rpms back down real quick and shut it down. As soon as the engine is quiet, have the other person pull the dip stick. If you hear air escaping when the dip stick is pulled. Then the breather is plugged :D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We had a 300hp motor that would make a loud bang and shoot a tar ball out the exhaust every twenty minutes like clock work
I'd pay a dollar to see that!:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'd pay a dollar to see that!:D

I missed that one too!! Coworker has been going to North Dakota to help with that location. He got to witness it in person. With the breather plugged, it was pushing out oil into the turbo, loading up the muffler, partially cooking it. once the ball in the exhaust got big enough to clog the muffler, it would blow :) scared the living hell out of the tool pushers on the rig the first time it happened:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I missed that one too!! Coworker has been going to North Dakota to help with that location. He got to witness it in person. With the breather plugged, it was pushing out oil into the turbo, loading up the muffler, partially cooking it. once the ball in the exhaust got big enough to clog the muffler, it would blow :) scared the living hell out of the tool pushers on the rig the first time it happened:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would make for one funny video if they had recorded it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer, if you have any strange oil leaks appear on your tractor there is a quick easy way to test if the breather is clogged.

Have someone stand next to where the dip stick is. Start the tractor, run the rpms up for about 10 seconds. Run your rpms back down real quick and shut it down. As soon as the engine is quiet, have the other person pull the dip stick. If you hear air escaping when the dip stick is pulled. Then the breather is plugged :D
Thanks Daren, makes sense, and it surprised me as to how snugly the dipstick seals into the tube, have to get a pair of plyers to get it out to check the oil.