Land Pride SGC1060 Welds Ripping!!

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Update: Sept 12; Land Pride SGC1060 Welds Ripping!!

I have just purchased this grapple along with my tractor.. I have 34 hours on the tractor. Of it, about 31 hours with the grapple being used. Im clearing a road thru my property, moving trees, logs, stumps, (not many stumps, but about 4 decent sized ones thus far is all), and rocks/boulders, (some of these being huge,.... On average, the boulders are probably about 3 1/2' to 4' in diameter.... I'd say about 75 of them thus far.

Today I was using the grapple, which is working just fine. But, I noticed the welds look to be ripping/tearing @ the point where the quick attach attaches... I don't have many experiences with welding, except in high school, but it "seems" to me like the welds may not have been deep enough?

Can anyone tell me what the best advice would be to do? Should I contact the dealer? This, understandably, would mean delaying any work I can get done. Or, should I just contact a weld shop and have them repair it? Im not sure if it can be repaired or not, but I sure hope so.

Thanks to you all for your help and advice in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
picture1, 2, and 3 are not of much help with out pointing out what/where the damage in the pic is we are to be looking at. Granted someone who knows what it is suppose to look like might be able to pick up on it.

Penetration---- yeah those welds shown in Pics 4 & 5 suck. Look like a pretty weld but no penetration IMHO. Was taking a weld course only a couple years ago. Saw pleny of ugly welds but they had better penetration when we cut them open to inspect than those nice ones do.

Last edited:

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Understand what you are saying of first few pictures. Sorry about that. I believe as well the welds are not good. I will have to talk to the dealer and hopefully they will come up with a solution. Thanks again, & as always, I'm still open to more advice or suggestions.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wouldn't hurt to reweld it. Sounds like the manufacturer concentrated more on pretty instead of good strong welds. Machine/ welding shop would probably do a better job of fixing it. But since it's under warranty, that would be between you and the dealer as far as the fix.

Post back and let us know how you make out with it

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Coach is right, lousy penetration. I'd get much better pictures and use a pencil or other pointer to point to the problem. Can you get the attachment off and tip it over to better show the problem?

I'd then say what your schedule is and put that in writing and then have a welding shop fix it. Looks like that has to be done anyhow.

Your shop may decide to reinforce some bad areas, but picture before and after.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Don't know for sure but me and the dealer would have a real heart to heart

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I wouldn't use it till it's fixed. If it comes apart when you have a good size rock or log in there, you could end up doing a lot more damage, and voiding the warranty. Better to let it sit for a minor fix, then a major one;) judging from the sounds of things, you definitely getting your moneys worth out it :D

Last edited:

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Yes,.... I'm going to. Too bad. The grapple is the most impressive piece of equipment I've ever seen. With that said , I'm hopeful it can be corrected. "Hopefully ", the dealer will replace the attached section of the grapple. We will see

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
If you fix it, "it's yours". Make the dealer/mfg fix. Then with future issues (hopefully won't be any) you have the history of known issue(s).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RobbAR

Equipment
B3200
Aug 18, 2014
NW Arkansas
No doubt the welds are not good or at least the ones that I can see from your pictures...cold welds with no penetration...dealer and manufacturer should see the pictures and get something done...Manufacturer needs to see the pictures and offer a replacement. From what I can see it is a manufacturers defect and should be taken care of...I have been welding for 30 years welds may have been pretty but not strong...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Looks like not only cold welds, but not enough-should have been a pass on the underside behind the latch window. Looks like the mount could have been a heavier material.
Nice unit, but looks like a generic QA plate was used.

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
EZlife, this is an amazing piece of equipment.... It'll be my #1 go to attachment. It looks like a great unit as well.... Of course, it does nobody any good to be able to "look" at it, and not be able to use it. We'll see,.... If they stand behind it, which I'd think they should, hopefully the next one will have sufficient welds.

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Update: Recieved message back from Dealership. They told me to bring grapple in & they will have land pride rep look at it for warranty repair. Taking tomorrow night.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 They used to light of a SSQA plate, they do that to keep the weight down.

Yes the welds are bad, no penetration, but the real reason is the plate thickness is just to light for the amount of force being applied to it.

Get the dealer to fix it, then if it does it again have the SSQA plate cut off of it and put a heavier plate on it! ;)