8560 50hr service

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
This is new technology so I am not sure that there is anything wrong with the way it is performing. I bought this Kubota after owning 2 New Hollands neither of which had a DPF system. I am sure that Kubota makes a great product or I would not have taken the chance. I make a living with these things. I burn low sulfur off road diesel. I appreciate you mentioning this I might try a little test on my own and burn on road fuel for a little while to see if that changes things. I will keep on posting the information for all to see. I hope this helps others in the future. I myself have been appreciative of information I have found on forums many times. (Just don't do a lot of posting usually)

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Ya if I pick up crappy fuel some where I know in my f350 because it will regen a lot tell the tanks burnt up and better fuel is in it .

I try to only buy fuel at places that sell a lot .

I can for see the system having problems on tractors because of fuel that mite not be that fresh and great .

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
DPF regen #7 today. Pulled up to customers house, unloaded tractor, pulled tractor into customers yard and the regen light starts flashing. Was going to park the tractor and run back to the shop for the dump truck and start hauling dirt but I had to let the regen finish. This one happened at 63.5hrs. only 7.5 hrs since the last one. Emailed Kubota, waiting for a reply. Here is what I E-Mailed them.

I have just recently purchased my Kubota M8560HD12 Tractor. I have a question about the DPF Filtration system. My tractor is regenerating at what I would consider to be quite frequent intervals and the time between intervals is getting shorter. I only have 65 hrs. on this tractor and have had 7 regenerations to date. I operate the tractor at no lower rpm than 1850-1900 (Loader Work) and at other times when running a PTO driven implement I run at 2300rpm or 540rpm pto speed. The only time that my tractor idles is when I am hooking up to or unhooking an attatchment even then I have been keeping the rpm's above 1200. My regeneration intervals are as follows: 1st-11Hrs., 2nd-20Hrs.,3rd-29Hrs., 4th-36.7 Hrs., 5th-47.4hrs., 6th-56Hrs., 7th-63.5Hrs.

This seems rather frequent to me, my question is should I be concerned or is this normal?

When I receive a reply I will post the info.

I received a call today from a Kubota Technician regarding the e-mail that I sent to them regarding my concerns about the frequency of regeneration cycles on my 8560. We talked for quite a while about this new technology and how it works. He said that there are many variables that will cause a regen to happen and told me that I should not be concerned over the frequency at which they are happening. I was also informed by him that when the DPF filter finally does need to be serviced (They are saying around 3000hrs.) the cost to do so will not be nearly as high as they were thinking in the beginning. Kubota is going to have a program in place that should bring the cost down to around $400.00 This is a lot better than the $3000.00 that I was previously told by the dealer. All in all this is very new technology and even though they are confident in their product they could not totally reassure me that there will not be any trouble with it. I came away from the conversation feeling better about the cost when it is time to service the filter but really not feeling any more knowledgeable about the effects that this new technology will have on the longevity of my tractor, But then I came away feeling that they really don't know yet either!
I will continue to post information about regeneration cycles and maintenance issues as they occur.

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Almost forgot, He did mention that it is imperative that you use good clean fuel (Off road diesel is fine) and you do your oil changes on time, also there is a black canister on the right side of the engine with a filter in it. This filter catches any oil and debris from engine blow by. He said checking this filter at regular intervals can give you a good idea of how the engine is performing. This filter should be clean for the most part at all times. a dirty oil soaked filter shows that there is blow by and a problem somewhere. Not anything that we did not already know. maintenance is vital to the longevity of any machine.

78-79fordman

Equipment
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Shame there ain't someone making tuners and deletes for tractors .

Crazy you can get tuners and delete it on a truck for off road use .

And now we have this stuff on our tractors which are off road use .

Makes no since to me .

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Regen #8 today. Tractor job pushing dirt and final grade work. Happened at 75.7Hrs. this would make it 11.9 hrs. since the last regen. It caught me at a bad time again. I had finished up the final grade work and was pulling the tractor out of the way and parking it. I needed to jump in the dump truck and run a load of dirt to another customer then return and pick up the tractor. The regen light started flashing before I stopped the tractor so I let it do its thing. Took about 3/10s of an hour according to the hour meter. I could have shut it off and not let the regen happen until I picked the tractor up later but what the heck I was just working it and everything was already warmed up so I let her rip.

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Regen #9 @ 84Hrs. this is 8.3hrs. since the last regen. My math is not that great but I figured (if I have this right) at the present cost of fuel (3.80 Gal.) I use about $1.30 per regeneration. The regen's seem to be consistent in taking approx. 3/10s of an hour (going by the tractors hr. meter) This means I have spent $11.70 in fuel and 2.7hrs. in run time with the current 9 regens. The regens happen very often while you are working the tractor anyway so the runtime and fuel usage really does not matter unless you are doing parked regen's all of the time in which case the tractor is just running and doing nothing productive. Also the tractors fuel usage meter is showing that it is using 1.2 gal. per hr. during the parked regen process.

Junior390

Equipment
M8560, L3400
Aug 16, 2013
East Texas
Been a while since I have been on...I haven't kept up with my regens quite like you tractorman02, but I know mine hasn't regened as frequently as yours. I do know the last one was around the 100hr mark and I just turned over 114hrs a few days ago. I have yet to burn any off road diesel in the machine. Maybe that's the difference?

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
Been a while since I have been on...I haven't kept up with my regens quite like you tractorman02, but I know mine hasn't regened as frequently as yours. I do know the last one was around the 100hr mark and I just turned over 114hrs a few days ago. I have yet to burn any off road diesel in the machine. Maybe that's the difference?
Good to hear from someone else with the same tractor to compare experiences. Someone else in this thread had mentioned burning on road diesel and seeing if it made a difference. I do plan on doing that shortly. I think that running on road fuel will be a good test and I am looking forward to seeing the results myself. There is supposed to be no difference between the 2 fuels except for the dye. We shall see.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We have run on and off road diesel in or tractors with no discernible difference.

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
We have run on and off road diesel in or tractors with no discernible difference.
I take it that your tractors are equipped with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)? If so how long between regens for you and what type of work are you using your equipment in?

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I take it that your tractors are equipped with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)? If so how long between regens for you and what type of work are you using your equipment in?
No, our tractors are L40. M40 and older, but my father in law owned the local bulk fuel dealership before retiring and selling it to another family member. They haul all their own fuel from the terminal to bulk storage or service stations or farmers and the only difference is in the red dye added.

There use to be a difference, but not anymore, at least not in my area.

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
TripleR
I agree with you, I have been told that there is no difference by others as well. My supplier sells a lot of off road diesel so freshness of the fuel is not really in question either. Might try running over the road fuel for kicks and giggles though just to eliminate the idea that the fuel I am using may not be fresh enough.

78-79fordman

Equipment
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Red fuel burns hotter . The dye makes it burn hotter and makes it soot a little more .

I know this from running it in a old 7.3 no turbo ford . U can feel the Difference and see a little more smoke .

There for I can see it being bad for the dpf filters .
I know the red fuel has messed up some of the newer diesel pickups .

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
78-79fordman
Personally I think that's a fairy tale about "dye causing red diesel" to burn hotter. What time frame are you referring to on breaking the law by burning red fuel in your PU? Several yrs back there was a sulfur content difference between on & off road fuel but not anymore at least where I live. Also several yrs back one could buy a "fuel permit" and legally run off road fuel in Texas in on road vehicle but that good deal ended.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
TripleR
I agree with you, I have been told that there is no difference by others as well. My supplier sells a lot of off road diesel so freshness of the fuel is not really in question either. Might try running over the road fuel for kicks and giggles though just to eliminate the idea that the fuel I am using may not be fresh enough.
Sure won't hurt anything to try it out. Right now we are burning fuel that we bought last April and seems to burn no differently now than when we bought it. My brother is a mechanic and we've been down the road with various fuels, fluids and such. He doesn't burn a lot of diesel, so he runs fresh fuel from a local station and I use fuel out of above ground storage tanks on two of our farms. I have used on road when we ran out until I could get some delivered.

I can only speak of my experience and that of local farmers who have fuel in storage tanks for months at a time. Others may have different experiences assome suppliers may not be as careful with fuel handling etc.

78-79fordman

Equipment
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
78-79fordman
Personally I think that's a fairy tale about "dye causing red diesel" to burn hotter. What time frame are you referring to on breaking the law by burning red fuel in your PU? Several yrs back there was a sulfur content difference between on & off road fuel but not anymore at least where I live. Also several yrs back one could buy a "fuel permit" and legally run off road fuel in Texas in on road vehicle but that good deal ended.
Last two years or less . I have bought two diesels that where both full red diesel. I wouldn't run it red fuel it was already in the tanks .

But my dad ran red fuel futher back when we was doing storm clean up . Wasn't breaking the law then because we bought it strait out the hwy diesel pump at a store because it was all they could get .

It does burn hotter because of the dye that's a fact I know and I know it soots more .
The dye wasn't designed to be ran in these new dpf rigs .

I wouldn't burn red fuel in a dpf system . Heck I don't buy it anyway for anything . Not worth the store problems for me . Diesel station on road only is only a 1/4 mile from the house on the way to my farms . So I just swing in as needed .

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It does burn hotter because of the dye that's a fact I know and I know it soots more .
The dye wasn't designed to be ran in these new dpf rigs .

I wouldn't burn red fuel in a dpf system . .
If red fuel burned hotter all the off-road equipment would melt down in the summer. I can't think of anything that gets more abuse than a wheel loader at a quarry and they do fine on red fuel.

All the new off-road equipment that have DPF systems are designed to run on off-road fuel. If not every road crew, construction company and quarry in the country would be burning the on-road fuel in their new equipment. I guaranty that's not going to happen.

Now when ULSD first hit the stations there was a big difference between it and off-road fuel. For the last few years the only difference is color and that has nothing to do with the way fuel performs.

More smoke, if it was the old high sulfer off road fuel I could see it blowing more smoke. Now days with this junk fuel we are forced to use a higher level of smoke is caused by a over active imagination or some type of fuel additive. Dye has nothing to do with smoke. JMHO