RTV with D1105 fuel problems,pump??

Dell427

Equipment
F2000,m9000,zd28,L series
Aug 29, 2012
Woodbine,md
Have a D1105 in a 1100 RTV that quits. Found sediment in the tank with some rust in the pickup. Cleaned the tank, changed the filter and the pump. Starts rough smooths out, run for 5 minutes and then dies. Will not do anything but idle. Bled the lines same thing all over again. Has never had great power, I feel the older 900 had more juice. Fuel system seems fairly straight forward, have search the threads and it appears the injector pump is the most likely culprit. Dealer wanted ridiculous money to repair it so here I am. Are the pumps serviceable or repairable? Or should I be looking more towards the injectors themselves. Is there any way to check the injectors performance? Been down for 30 days, any input would be greatly appreciated,
thanks, Dell:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First, sounds like the injectors need cleaned. You can do that yourself, but to get an accurate answer in how they are performing you really need to take them to a shop to have them cleaned/tuned.
As far as the injection pump goes, very little the average person can do to service them, that one your going to have to take to a shop and have it tested, cleaned and / or rebuilt.
With it not wanting to do anything more than an Idle, sounds like it could even have a governor problem, But I would start at the easiest/cheapest first and work your way down the list.

Dell427

Equipment
Aug 29, 2012
Woodbine,md
Well sounds like your typical very simple complicated problem. What type of shops test the injectors and pumps. I know our local dealer doesn't do it. Thanks for the input:confused::confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most of the larger Semi repair places do it. Hopefully some one in your area will chime in with some better direction.;)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm curious how you decide to proceed with the injector(s).

My guess is that the total investment of time, effort, and cost to pull the set and have them tested would get close to or exceed half the price of new--and you'd be down in the interim waiting on a report from a shop--and you'd still have used injector(s).

Please post back your continuing efforts and results so we may all learn.

Dell427

Equipment
Aug 29, 2012
Woodbine,md
I have suspected a fuel problem since it was new. Only has about 300 hrs on it but has never had the power the old 900 did. Ran ok but had no ass to it. Could not even imagine putting a plow on it, so I guess I wanted to know for sure. Found a local shop that all they do are injectors and pumps for all engines, figured the injectors had plenty of life in them and might as well get the pump check too. Also found water, rust and crap in the tank, has to go through those parts too! keep you posted:confused:

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Just a suggestion. Get an inline filter that has the magnets inside will pick up most ferrous particles due to the internal magnets. The one I have on my desk is made by automatic transmission parts.inc It says it is suitable for transmission fluid.Made to be permanently closed. About the size of a small coffee cup.Should work well for diesel fuel attaches with hoses and band clamps.So when you think its done its job just replace it. Then bust it open to see how much rust didn't make it into your enging.

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Check out any good tranny repair shop for the filter, the one I spoke about was made by ATP automatic transmission parts. Course may not run into that particular brand but you got the gist of it. Filter is about the size of a small cup and has inlets on the top and bottom. Check direction of flow you want it to be in the direrction of the filter. Otherwise your tank will have to be removed and checked out and possibily cleaned. Hope this works for you. Frank

Dell427

Equipment
Aug 29, 2012
Woodbine,md
Well I found a local shop that specializes in injectors and pumps. Pretty big outfit. Had several kubota pumps they were working on. Turns out two injectors were not producing much and the plunger was bad on the pump. Less than half of a new one to overhaul. Before there was no fuel coming out of the pump, now I get steady small pulses.Dont think its enough but not sure what to expect, So I am wondering if the cams or rollers on the bottom of the pump are wearing some. I understand the shims are critical to the pump and I am not familiar with the procedures for adjusting or changing shims. Will need to investigate. Was wondering if this theory makes sense or if this has happened to anyone or if there might be any other suggestions. System does not seem to be that complicated but...........:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I get steady small pulses.Dont think its enough
It doesn't take a lot of fuel to do what it does, and even with the small pulses it still will bypass some of the fuel back to the tank. This is the reason these little engines can go and go and go on minimal fuel use.