Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tractor Operating

Tractor Operating Wondering what that strange lever does, how to safely hill climb or get into 4WD? Discover and share how to get the most out of your tractor.

Old 08-23-2013   #11
hodge

Master Tech

Equipment: John Deere 790
Default Re: B6000 PTO hydraulics downward force

Using the a forward rotation tiller on a tractor with a reverse-rotation pto, or vice-versa, would have the back of the tines digging in. Turning the tines around would allow the cutting edge to work. Changing the tines didn't change the direction, he made it work with the direction it was already turning.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2013   #12
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

Seems a common mistake a lot of guys make is they try to take a BIG bite first time through,, yes I was one of those guys too,,, start by setting it maybe an inch down and run it through, that will kick up all the sod and weeds,,, then drop it another inch or 2 and same thing again,, until you get all the way down,, and yes you aint gona do it in one pass!!! Depending on how large a plot your tilling you might really think about adding some things to the dirt, like grass clippings and LIME and sand,, If you are really interested send a large cross area sample to your agriculture center, state or local,, they will tell you what you need for the soil to grow what ever it is you want to grow and how to amend the soil,, Just remember all those adds you see with a tiller digging like a mole on speed are done in dirt that has been worked over many many many times.. Just MHO mind you
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #13
freewheel3
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B6000DT B6200HSTD B6200HSTE B7100HSTD L185 T1700HX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge View Post
Using the a forward rotation tiller on a tractor with a reverse-rotation pto, or vice-versa, would have the back of the tines digging in. Turning the tines around would allow the cutting edge to work. Changing the tines didn't change the direction, he made it work with the direction it was already turning.
Tines are directional. So the PO must have had them on backwards? Ahh, I see now. Thanks for the clarification. I do know that my B6000 with the factory S850 tiller turns in a forward rotation. No reverser on it.
freewheel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #14
Stubbyie
4th Yr. Apprentice

My experience is that even the best tillers are not designed to break hard virgin soil. I've seen them literally throw sparks trying a first pass on new soil. Can't be good on tines or gearbox.

Break with a single- or two-bottom plow or disk [harrow] first, even if you have to rent or borrow one for a half-day. Then use the tiller to finish working the soil. You don't want to pulverize it to dust.

In some of my "garden" areas I've had to wait on a rainy spell to make soil semi-manageable then use a backhoe to turn it over the first time. Then tilling gets easy going into the future. In this case soil amendments were necessary but paid off.
Stubbyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #15
hodge

Master Tech

Equipment: John Deere 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbyie View Post
My experience is that even the best tillers are not designed to break hard virgin soil. I've seen them literally throw sparks trying a first pass on new soil. Can't be good on tines or gearbox.

Break with a single- or two-bottom plow or disk [harrow] first, even if you have to rent or borrow one for a half-day. Then use the tiller to finish working the soil. You don't want to pulverize it to dust.

In some of my "garden" areas I've had to wait on a rainy spell to make soil semi-manageable then use a backhoe to turn it over the first time. Then tilling gets easy going into the future. In this case soil amendments were necessary but paid off.
I agree. Break the ground in steps, instead of trying to till it right off.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b-6000, b6000, hydraulic, hydraulics, pto