Question for those with a Piranha tooth bar.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm thinking about purchasing a Piranha tooth bar. The inside of the bucket measures 64 3/8".

The toothbar selection is in 1/4" increments. Do I order the 64.25" or 64.5" bar. From what I have seen online, video reviews and such, it always seems like the tooth bar mounting tabs seems to measure a little less in width than what is actually indicated.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
IDo I order the 64.25" or 63.5" bar. From what I have seen online, video reviews and such, it always seems like the tooth bar mounting tabs seems to measure a little less in width than what is actually indicated.[/QUOTE

I do not have a Piranha Bar, best would be to order what their Web Site suggests.. a 63.5"er sounds to short

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This is a rhetorical question, correct? This is a tooth bar for a loader bucket to pick in dirt and other materials. It is not a crown for your front tooth! It just has to fit inside your bucket.

The toothbar get bolted into the inside of the bucket. The ears on the toothbar can be hammered outward (contrary to some folks opinions) or have flat washers inserted to fill any gap, or drawn out by the attaching bolts.

If your bucket measures 64 3/8 inches, and you get one that measures 64"....that means you'll have 3/16" gap on each side. Probably be easy to live with for most folks.

But when you measured the inside of the bucket did you put the tape measure inside the bucket and push against the opposite side and read the number at the other end? You could be off in your measurement, because the tape will move 1/16" on the end with the clip.:D

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Sorry about the typo. I mistakenly typed 63.5" instead of 64.5. I corrected that.

D2Cat, nah I clamped a flat file inside each end of the bucket and measured between the two with pulling action.

From what I have seen, it probably won't matter much going with a bit shorter measurement as the wings will bend outward with tightening the bolts upon installation.

It just appears from the videos that BXpanded sends the tooth bars with wings spaced noticeably shorter than actually ordered to account for discrepancies. I was trying to confirm that more than anything.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I've had mine for a couple of years. I seem to think that Piranha asks you to take the measurement then order the next size smaller.
Although the mounting tabs are very substantial, when you bolt it in place you tighten it up and draw them tight against the bucket. As one of the other posters mentioned you can always insert some washers. But if you measure it as they suggest you will tighten it up nicely.
Mine came with one tab bent in about 1". At first I was a bit upset but I bolted the straight side then used a large C clamp to pull the other side to the bucket.
No problem. They are very well made and protect the bucket edge.
They are able to pluck saplings out of the ground easily.
I have used mine to grade the driveway, first with the teeth to break up the hardened gravel then with the bucket back dragging.
I am sure you will use and enjoy it and make the most out of it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
There website says "Choose the ACTUAL bucket inside width (nearest 1/4 inch)"
Just do that and they will select the proper size. Worked for me.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Sorry about the typo. I mistakenly typed 63.5" instead of 64.5. I corrected that.

D2Cat, nah I clamped a flat file inside each end of the bucket and measured between the two with pulling action.

From what I have seen, it probably won't matter much going with a bit shorter measurement as the wings will bend outward with tightening the bolts upon installation.

It just appears from the videos that BXpanded sends the tooth bars with wings spaced noticeably shorter than actually ordered to account for discrepancies. I was trying to confirm that more than anything.

When I ordered mine I swore I set my beer down to measure,had it to the nearest quarter inch. I could have went up a quarter inch to get a tighter fit,but I bolted it on and it’s been through hell without a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you do buy one be very careful how you leave the bucket when you are off the tractor, the edge is very sharp and it can bite. Only takes one time. I have to be extremely mindful of that having a 2 and 4 yr old that love tractor time or playing on the tractor when it’s parked.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
When I ordered mine I swore I set my beer down to measure,had it to the nearest quarter inch. I could have went up a quarter inch to get a tighter fit,but I bolted it on and it***8217;s been through hell without a problem.
66" bucket? If so, what width did you order?

If you do buy one be very careful how you leave the bucket when you are off the tractor, the edge is very sharp and it can bite. Only takes one time. I have to be extremely mindful of that having a 2 and 4 yr old that love tractor time or playing on the tractor when it***8217;s parked.
Yeah, I read of how sharp it is. I have seen a post or two of leg wounds from it. It certainly looks mean. I was planning on making a simple wooden guard to go on it when not it use. But, thanks for reminding me.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
66" bucket? If so, what width did you order?

Yeah, I read of how sharp it is. I have seen a post or two of leg wounds from it. It certainly looks mean. I was planning on making a simple wooden guard to go on it when not it use. But, thanks for reminding me.
My bucket measured 58 3/8”, I ordered 58 1/4 bar. Also some guys on bear took a piece of pvc and cut a slot to slip over the edge.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My bucket measured 58 3/8”, I ordered 58 1/4 bar. Also some guys on bear took a piece of pvc and cut a slot to slip over the edge.
So, somewhat similar to my situation. Mine measures 64 3/8". I thought about ordering the 64 1/2" since it appears that they undersize their bar width to ensure it fits.

Good idea on the PVC. I may do that since I have some old stuff around the barn.

Thanks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
So, somewhat similar to my situation. Mine measures 64 3/8". I thought about ordering the 64 1/2" since it appears that they undersize their bar width to ensure it fits.

Good idea on the PVC. I may do that since I have some old stuff around the barn.

Thanks.
If I were to do it again I would have gone 58 1/2 inch but oh well, it works and works well. 66” bucket seems kind of big for the 525 loader. Is that the light material bucket and do you have the quick attach loader?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I just looked at the Piranah website. There is a section during the checkout process for your tractor info and comments. After you choose the size according to your measurement just tell them the exact size in the comment section.
However I doubt that 1/8" will make any difference. But it won't hurt to add the information for precision.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
If I were to do it again I would have gone 58 1/2 inch but oh well, it works and works well. 66” bucket seems kind of big for the 525 loader. Is that the light material bucket and do you have the quick attach loader?
I have the quick attach loader. I have no idea about the bucket. I assume it is most likely the light material bucket. 66" bucket is the bucket dimensions on the Build Your Kubota page for the L2501.

I just looked at the Piranah website. There is a section during the checkout process for your tractor info and comments. After you choose the size according to your measurement just tell them the exact size in the comment section.
However I doubt that 1/8" will make any difference. But it won't hurt to add the information for precision.
That's good to know. Thanks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
After I posted I went and looked at the Kubota site and they only showed the 66. I got my tractor along with the purchase of my house so I don’t know much about buying it new. My buddy at work brought his 2501 in to do some work and it couldn’t do it, where I thought mine wouldn’t have an issue. I got pretty much the same tractor just the previous series.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm gonna find out what mine can and can't do. I know it will have many limitations being a small tractor, plus 25hp rating. I bought it mostly to run a grapple and use the backhoe. I think it will be fine for that. I would have gladly paid extra for the L3901, but didn't want the Diesel Particulate Filter.

I wish I got a Kubota with my house purchase.:)

Wilderness

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6200, L3901, rear blade, York rake, EA grapple, bush hog, forks
May 22, 2019
Deerfield
Installed one today on same bucket you have. I entered the width of bucket, received a bar sized a bit smaller and the mounting flanges were pitched toward the center, one of them quite a bit. Clamps took care of it. Fits just fine. You don't tell them what size to make, you tell them what size bucket you have. They take it from there.

Not to worry - don't overthink it. Tell them your measurement.

Wilderness

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Installed one today on same bucket you have. I entered the width of bucket, received a bar sized a bit smaller and the mounting flanges were pitched toward the center, one of them quite a bit. Clamps took care of it. Fits just fine. You don't tell them what size to make, you tell them what size bucket you have. They take it from there.

Not to worry - don't overthink it. Tell them your measurement.

Wilderness

I'm assuming you sent them the measurement for the inside width of your bucket? It just sorta sounds like you ordered a 66" bar.

I chose 64.5" and included my tractor model, as it asks for it in one box at checkout. In another comment box, I told them exact inside width is 64 3/8" I'm thinking it will work out OK.

How long did it take for you to receive your bar?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm assuming you sent them the measurement for the inside width of your bucket? It just sorta sounds like you ordered a 66" bar.

I chose 64.5" and included my tractor model, as it asks for it in one box at checkout. In another comment box, I told them exact inside width is 64 3/8" I'm thinking it will work out OK.

How long did it take for you to receive your bar?
I put my order in on a Friday night after hours, was shipped the following Monday and I got it that Wednesday. After hearing of recent delays on here it could be different. I did order mine in the fall so maybe it wasn’t there busy time. I’m debating ordering their thumb for the backhoe I just ordered or if I should just go with the Kubota one.