Brand new L4701 lost oil plug and run dry

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man I dont know who this dealer IS, and I dont know their NAME, or where they are LOCATED, of the owners NAME,,
It would be interesting to see what happens if word got out about this DEALER on FACEBOOK or some OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA.. or if maybe the local TV STATION got a call explaining about the games this DEALER is trying to play
Please understand I am not a vindictive man, though it would seem to me that you are probably NOT THE FIRST to be jerked around by this dealer. You know its tit for tat,,,,, you kick my dog I kill your cat

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
The more I read about this the more it sickens me. Skeets I think your right, get the media involved and put some pressure on them.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I am a big one for paybacks when someone has earned it. And it looks like this dealership has earned it. Hopefully, corporate will step up & do the right thing.
I'd begin planning for the media & maybe legal assault they deserve.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Sound like alot of assuming is being done by the insurance company and the dealer.

Ian SAVS

Equipment
L4701 HST 4WD
Sep 4, 2017
NC
I don't plan to name the dealer unless the issue becomes worse or unresolved. I'm not here to smear anybody's name, just to source advice from knowledgeable people. At this point in time the dealer stated he still plans to replace the engine. I am glad that I will be able to tell a new engine from the original because I feel like honesty has not currently been the policy.
I will not alert media, social media etc. because I don't want to defame Kubota, who is not at fault. I believe I pretty much laid it out when the dealer called me, and I let him know that I would not be jerked around and that it was my belief that the PDI was not correctly and thoroughly done. (He said in all his 20 years of selling tractors this had never happened before) nonetheless if the situation is resolved to my satisfaction I will be happy just to have my tractor back and running.

I promise to keep the thread updated as events transpire.

Thank you all again for your input.

FossilFuelPhil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701
Sep 22, 2017
Canyon Lake TX
Terrible. I'm not sure if the dealer fills the oil or the factory does it, I know it's all coated with the grey paint. Can you tell at the other oil plug if it was sealed or if the original paint seal was broken.
The other thing might be to also make sure you find the copper washer from the oil plug. If it was missing, it might have contributed to premature failure and also inspect to see if there is evidence of a washer on the oil pan or if the oem plug just scored the pan without a washer when new.

I just did my 50 hour service on mine and everything was sealed and tight, when I broke the seals, although the HST filter was crazy freakin tight and I finally got it off with a pipe wrench and a full leg into it after crawling underneath. Now I'm wondering if I tightened everything back hard enough!

I know it's been a while since the post but if you took pics of the oil trail, the oil pan like you did, just leave the tractor sit where is as is perhaps under a tarp. It's still $30K plus. Somebody needs to take responsibility.

I'm happy with mine so far at 56 Hours, but I REALLY wish I would have read this forum before purchase so I could peg my dealer down in key details.

The only issue with equipment dealers is on lack of follow up, courtesy contact and even a nice phone call after the sale to see if I was happy. My dealer has around 6 Kubota dealerships around San Antonio, so maybe they don't really care after the sale. They figure you will die before you ever come back and the Kubota will last forever so why bother with a courtesy call ???

Ian SAVS

Equipment
L4701 HST 4WD
Sep 4, 2017
NC
The Hands of Corporate

The dealer called me yesterday morning and asked me when he could drop off a loaner tractor, an L4701 HST 4WD with my FEL on the front of it and about 37 hours on the clock.

It was delivered to my farm a couple of hours later. Everybody was VERY friendly. I was able to get my implements out of the weather and finish bush hogging all the areas I had planned to do several weeks ago.

The tractor is on loan until they finish the work on mine which will entail replacing the engine with a new one. I'm suddenly feeling a good bit better about the whole situation and I think I see the obvious hand of corporate at work here.

Is there anything I need to look for or be aware of/ pay close attention to in this process of receiving a tractor with a replacement engine? I was considering asking for extended warranty in both hours and years on the tractor due to this situation, and I'm wondering how corporate would take that given events surrounding this story.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Seems like you would want a new dpf filter with it just in case that burning oil smoke went through it?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ian,,, It maybe of some interest to you to know that the big "K"as well as other manufacturers follow these sites. Dealers of which we have a few in here as well as techs and some very knowledgeable indys. HD reads the HD sites,or I should say they have people that read them, so yes "K" has them as well. I happy your dealer is at least trying to work with you,, and what sheepfarmer makes a lot of sense , we know your trying to do the right thing, and we all hope our dealers will do the right thing as well.
Sometimes help comes from unlikely places.