L1500 trans fluid?

rajun.cajun

Equipment
L1500 with beat up 4 ft. Bush hog used mainly to mow overgrown ditches.
Mar 6, 2010
sigourney Ia
about to change the fluid in my l1500. Can some one tell me what type of fluid I need and give me a quick run down of the process and any things I should do while the fluid is drained out?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just use the cheap fluid. Universal tractor hydraulic fluid. While the tranny is drained. Check the filter screen. Follow the hydraulic lines from the pump by the brake pedal to where it ties into the tranny. The access to the screen is on the opposite side of the tranny. It's a spring loaded cap thats held in place by a couple bolts. There are three drain plugs for the tranny. One directly underneath the gear shift and two drain plugs that are on the drives for the axle. They are the oblong flatish housings with a crap load of bolts holding them together by each of the back tires.

rajun.cajun

Equipment
Mar 6, 2010
sigourney Ia
Fluid change and working on brakes will be next weekends project.

Thanks for the help!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If your gonna work on the brakes and tear into the axles. Make sure you do it while the tranny is drained :D

rajun.cajun

Equipment
Mar 6, 2010
sigourney Ia
If that's the case I may hold off till winter and do fluid, clutch, brakes, water pump, radiator hoses and steering all at the same time. Be a hell of a winter project but all needs to be done! Thanks for the tips! If you think of anything else that would be helpful with all the things I just listed please let me know!

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
There's a small plate held by 2 bolts by your right foot when seated.
Throw out bearing is behind it.
Mine has a white plug (recently installed)

Attachments