B8200 Timing

agtech970

Jan 25, 2015
Scio Ohio
I have a customer tractor in shop that he had just rebuilt engine and it smokes really bad like its out of time it has all new injectors and injection pump when front cover is removed a have marks on injection pump gear cam and idler gear but none to be found on crank gear im wondering which way to go about checking timing and trying to get machine not to smoke any help would be greatly appicated

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum from Alabama.

agtech970

Jan 25, 2015
Scio Ohio
Thanks for the book website that will come in handy but my problem is there are no marks on bottem crank gear at all no dots so where do I put the crank at then line all other dots up most engines time tdc compression stroke but ive also came into some that time before tdc and this my be my problem.

TDC= Top Dead Center Piston at its top of travel

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Thanks for the book website that will come in handy but my problem is there are no marks on bottem crank gear at all no dots so where do I put the crank at then line all other dots up most engines time tdc compression stroke but ive also came into some that time before tdc and this my be my problem.

TDC= Top Dead Center Piston at its top of travel
Well, if you have #1 at TDC on compression, verifiable with a dial indicator, then the book should tell you either before or after TDC and you can set the crank gear at the right degree for the timing, lining up all the other marks appropriately. TDC on compression is usually what sets the crank gear at a known position, but it is nice when they mark it for you. You can also check the back side of the crank gear, someone may have put it on backwards.

You can only be a few degrees off one direction or the other. If you are more than that it won't start or it will run-away on you (So keep some kind of air choke device handy in case it starts to run off on ya)

Thank heavens I've only had to time diesel motors a few times and it's nerve wracking every time I do it... pun partially intended! :eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry that book I told you to download is lacking detail.
You can go back on Kubotabooks.com and download the manual for the B7100, it is in three parts, it's a D750 but is timed and set up the same as the D950.

As far as the crank gear not having a mark, well take it off and turn it around, bet the mark in on the other side of the gear. ;)
If for some strange reason it's not order a new gear,
P/N 15261-24110 $102.18
http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=538295

You do know the timing is adjusted by shims under the timing pump, Hope your client installed all of them when he replaced the pump.

Attachments

agtech970

Jan 25, 2015
Scio Ohio
Thanks for all the help I will pull gear off now and check

Im a AG Mechanics Instuctor at a career center so this has been a good one for the students to learn on with not everything being as easy as the book sometimes states haha

Thanks again and i will keep you all updated