Kubota B5100 Rear Lift Problems

Abuddy

Equipment
l2550,b6200, b5100
Mar 30, 2010
Orange, Calif.
Hello,

I own an older Kubota B5100 4WD tractor that I use for rototilling my garden every spring. This year I started it up as usual and raised the rear lift, drove it over to the garden area, and lowered the lift. However, after I lowered the lift it would not raise again. There is no power on the rear lift now. I can pick it up freely but nothing happens when I move the control.

My first thought was to check the UDT fluid but that is topped off already. Also, all the other functions work fine (gears, speeds, rototiller, etc) just the lift has a complete loss of power.

Any idea what could be causing this? :confused: Thank you in advance!

Buddy

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First go to Kubotabooks.com and download the WSM (Work Shop Manual, or service manual) it's in 3 parts get all three as they hydraulic section is in parts 3 , and grab the Operators manual too while your there, they are great resources to have for now and the future.

Next check the engine oil, is it full or over full?
If it's overfull you blew a hydraulic pump seal.
If it's not lets move on.
Under the seat in the front is a cover with a plug on the side of it (see pic it's #66), it might have a selector valve or it might not, you will need to loosen the plug, a couple threads, do not take it out completely, start the tractor, with the tractor running operate the 3 point lever, fluid should come out of the loose plug, note if it looks foamy.
If it does then you have a blown piston seal or some other issue with the three point assembly and will need to take it apart to fix it.
If no fluid comes out we will need to back up and test right at the pump, loosen the smaller hydraulic line that comes out of the pump the larger line is the suction side, start the tractor and it should pump fluid out if it doesn't there is a problem with the pump, pump drive system, pump suction line, or the pick up screen/filter.

Attachments

Last edited:

clippy

Equipment
Kubota B6100D w/ Kubota FL1000 Tiller, Kubota Bedder, Brush Hog Mower
Wolfman, that's a great answer. I hope it helps Abuddy get his problem solved. From previous posts I've read I've got the impression you are a service technician on Kubota tractors. So it makes perfect sense you can give such a detailed answer like you did here. But tell me, when writing up a reply like this, is it all off the top of your head? Or do you have notes or documentation you refer to? Just curious.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Wolfman, that's a great answer. I hope it helps Abuddy get his problem solved. From previous posts I've read I've got the impression you are a service technician on Kubota tractors. So it makes perfect sense you can give such a detailed answer like you did here. But tell me, when writing up a reply like this, is it all off the top of your head? Or do you have notes or documentation you refer to? Just curious.
SSSsssh! Never ask a magician to divulge secrets!

Abuddy

Equipment
l2550,b6200, b5100
Mar 30, 2010
Orange, Calif.
Wolfman thanks for taking the time to write such detailed instructions! I checked the oil level and that is fine so we can rule that one out. I'll try checking that plug and then the hydraulic pump and try and get back to you guys with the results.

Thanks again!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im guessing wolfman is working off the top of his head,as its not like hes quoting from a manual. Do enough of this stuff and it becomes second nature,like the torque spec for 350 vortec intake 132 inch pounds. Done enough of them to last a lifetime.i have driven thousands of different cars. I know a little bit about a lot and vise versa.

Im betting wolfman's wardrobe is 50%kubota......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All smoke and mirrors.;)

I'm actually an unemployed bum. :(

Top of my head sounds better than the alternative.:D