My new old B6000 will not start

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
I purchases a B6000 this past week, the seller said it starts hard but runs fine. He said he tried to start it before I arrived and run the battery dead. I bought it anyway, got it home charged the battery, changed the filters and fuel, changed the oil and cleaned the filter. I bled the lines and getting fuel to the end of the lines but it will not start. dark grey smoke comes out the exhaust and almost fired once but will not. I glow plug the heck out of it but still nothing. Can someone please help? Is there a way to check the compression and what should it be? Thanks in advance for a solution.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the orange tractor.

In this picture, notice the small square cover with four 10mm screws, right in front of the light blue rag. Remove that cover and make sure that the pin/peg of the fuel rack can move. If the rack is all the way toward the rear of the tractor the fuel is shut off to the injector pump. A screw driver and slight pressure can move it forward if it is stuck which opens the fuel to the injector pump.

Gray smoke is still not enough fuel. There should be black smoke if there is enough fuel to start the engine.

Good luck

Attachments

stewy

Jul 17, 2009
Ont Canada
Have a closer look at the glow plugs
With a well charged battery, check the voltage at the glow plugs and
perhaps throw in a new set. They aren't very expensive

dark grey smoke comes out the exhaust and almost fired once
Cheers
Stewy

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
I replaced the glow plugs with new ones and it still will not start. I pulled the injector nozzels out and cleaned them and one was clogged and I cleared it but when I put them back in fuel was coming out around the injector so I need to replace the washer on the bottom but should it still start. What about the timing, could the previous owner have done something to change this? It seems he tried many things but he could not get it started either. I tried to do a compression test but I do not have the proper adapter to fit in the glow plug hole. Can someone please help with this problem?

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
A compression test is key to find out if there is enough to fire the fuel. I have seen many many many engines both gas and diesel DESTROYED by starting either. :mad::mad::mad:

Compression is key if you are convinced there is adequate fuel.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
When I bought my B6100E for $250 it wouldn't start. I had a friend pull it to get it started. It sounded fine and everything worked on it other than a lot of blowby. I found two bad glow plugs. That was over a year ago. Still blowing and doing fine. Towing does wonders and save on the starter. If it starts go from there.

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
Yesterday I did the tow trick and after a long time the beast finally started. There was a lot of blue smoke at first but when it warmed up the smoke went away and it ran just fine. I shut it off and it started, but when I shut it off and let it cool it will not start by the battery and starter. I have ordered a compression tester and it should be in on saturday and I will go from there.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The blue smoke is of course oil burning which would come from the rings and having this much difficulty starting makes me think the compression is low due to worn/weak rings.

Keep us informed and glad you got it started. :)

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
It sounds better than mine. If mine cools off a couple of minutes it needs glow plugs to restart. Put a test light on the glow plugs and see if it comes on when the glow plugs are supposed to be on.

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
Recieved my compression tester today. Front cylinder has 30 psi, rear cylinder did not even register. Tomorrow I will be tearing into it to see how many internal parts need replacing. Rings for sure.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
You will be very lucky if the cylinder head is ok. For your sake I hope it is but these heads are frequently cracked in the firing grooves. :(:(:(

Good luck to you. :)

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
The cylinder head is OK. But I do need sleeves, rings, rod bearings, and gaskets. Reseat the valves and I should be good to go.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
That is great; you don't have a head failure.

Not to bad for a freshen up then.

Keep us posted. :)

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
Pulled the engine out and removed the pistons and the top ring on both pistons were broken. One of them was in about 6 pieces. The kubota mechanic said the sleeves were good with minimal ridge on one side of the cylinder. He said replacing it would not be worth the effort. just give it a good hone. The pistons were also in good shape. The previous owner was most likely hitting it with starter fluid and I am extremly lucky only the rings were shot. After putting it all back together and getting the valves adjusted properly which took me awhile due to the fact the owners manual does not indicate any marks on the flywheel to line up. I had to find a service manual for that information. It started up fine and has started the first try every time so far. Now that this problem is solved I will begin complete restoration . Hopefully finishing by next summer. Thanks to all helpful posts.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The previous owner was most likely hitting it with starter fluid and I am extremly lucky only the rings were shot.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: I hate starting fluid :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yep you are lucky that the rings are the only damage, but still DAMAGE is what results from that stuff.:mad:

I have seen so much damage from that stuff and many times it is a mechanic who does it.:eek:

Where I work now, I have replaced more engines from either damage than any other place I have ever seen. Crazy!!!