Maintenance questions

KJoeZ61

Equipment
BX1870
Jun 20, 2018
Northampton, Pa
I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, whats the best engine oil weight? The book says 10W-30 or 15W-40. And I know I'm late for an oil change should have been done at 50 hours. I'm now at 100 hours and 2-1/2 years old. Is it really necessary to flush the cooling system?

Joe

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
In your climate no noticeable difference in those weights.

Oil change at or past 50 hours to catch break-in fragments.

Engine oil needs to be changed yearly regardless of hours.

Coolant does need changing every two years because of additives. Flushing depends on how the coolant looks - rust or gunk should be flushed. Adding tap water and not distilled water will need a flush because of mineral deposits.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use 5-40 Rotella T6 in one of my tractors that gets used summer and winter. The other one sits all winter so it gets 15-40 Rotella T4. Kubota's can be hard starting in sub zero weather with heavier oil.

Far as changing yearly, I do as well. I don't pay attention to accumulated hours, just change them in the spring and use genuine Kubota filters too.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, whats the best engine oil weight? The book says 10W-30 or 15W-40. And I know I'm late for an oil change should have been done at 50 hours. I'm now at 100 hours and 2-1/2 years old. Is it really necessary to flush the cooling system?

Joe
Hey neighbor,

I've always used 15W-40 in my Kubotas (since 2006). It's never been an issue. I wouldn't worry about the radiator flush either at 2.5 years old. Maybe do it at 5 if you feel the need.

I would suggest adding a float charger (battery tender) in the winter if you use it for plowing snow.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Ive been curious about this as well, as I will have to do my first 50 hour maintenance before long. I live in North Florida. The tractor will never operate below 32F likely. In the summer of course it will operate a lot around 90F. What is the absolute top of the line oil I could put in this thing. The best I could possibly buy and the best for my tractor. Ive heard good things about Shell Rotella so that was where I was leaning, but what about the type of oil? Ive seen several different suggestions thrown around in places, and the manual makes like 3 different suggestions.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
you really can't go wrong with shell rotella. Either in dino or synthetic form.

Can typically be found at wallymart. I've also heard very good reports on oil sold by Amazon.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I run Amsoil 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil year round in my tractors. It's really good when it's cold but also does well in hot summer months. No matter how many hrs you put on yours the oil should be changed at least once a year.

On your anti-freeze it should be drained and flushed every 2 years unless you're running ELC. It will never freeze but it does loose it's ability to dissipate heat. $10 worth of coolant could save you thousands down the road.

My advise is if you plan to keep the tractor do the maintenance and don't cut corners on filters and fluids. Do it right from the start and it will take care of you for the rest of your life.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
For really hot climates, I would use Shell Rotella T6 in 15W-40...

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...tella-t6-15w-40-full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

It’s full synthetic, unlike most other 15W-40’s...
Thats kinda where I am leaning. The owners manual has 15w-40 as one of like 3 suggestions, and I just was unsure what was the best to use. I need to just go research engine oil standards so I know what the numbers actually mean better. Thanks for the suggestion!