2005 L3400 PTO ratcheting

orangetractorkid

Equipment
L3400
Jan 29, 2019
Minnesota
I have an early model l3400 serial number 59xxx. I have owned be machine since 160 hrs and when purchased it was near mint with little to no PTO usage. It now has about 230 hours and Have put maybe an hour at most on the PTO since purchasing. The PTO cable broke a week ago while blowing snow. Shocked by the $65 replacement upgrade, I purchased cable and wire clips and made a new one the same general length. I installed it and the PTO blower seemed to work fine without any weird noises or issues. Last night I fired up the snowblower and I could hear a horrid ratcheting sound and low idle and high idle. I tried tightening the cable on one end and it only seemed to make it worse.

I will upload the video to YouTube following this post. Do you think I wrecked the cams or should I pay the $65 for the cable and see if that’s the issue? I’d its the cams, I understand you have to split the tractor and is quite labor intensive. Are there any specific directions out there?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well just come back and make any comment you like and soon you'll have enough post!

How's the weather up there? What part of Mn. you located?

orangetractorkid

Equipment
L3400
Jan 29, 2019
Minnesota
Southwest Minnesota, it’s cold but not horrible. -10 now with no wind. Once the wind picks up it’s going to get bad. Low of -30 tonight.

orangetractorkid

Equipment
L3400
Jan 29, 2019
Minnesota
Just went and ordered an updated cable and pto lever should be here Friday. Unfortunately the two guys at the implement dealer haven***8217;t dealt with any l3400s and couldn***8217;t say much besides I didn***8217;t use genuine Kubota parts. I let them listen to the video and it was their interpretation that the cam isn***8217;t engaging into each other.

orangetractorkid

Equipment
L3400
Jan 29, 2019
Minnesota
I did. Tried it with and without. Last time I tried it without, tightened the cable and didn***8217;t hear it. Hooked up the pto shaft for the snowblower and it seemed to work until I tried to blow snow and then sounded horrible.

Myakka

Equipment
L3400HST-F
Aug 12, 2020
Myakka Florida
I have a 2005 l3400hst, and mine sounds like it is doing the same thing. It will engage the PTO when nothings attached, but makes a horrible clattering with the attachment, and will not engage the PTO. What was your solution?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a 2005 l3400hst, and mine sounds like it is doing the same thing. It will engage the PTO when nothings attached, but makes a horrible clattering with the attachment, and will not engage the PTO. What was your solution?

I know the youtube video is not your tractor.

When I listen to the video I think the blower fan is hitting the fan housing.

The lower part of the blower housing gets thin over time and can be easily dented up thus starting to be hit by the fan blades.

Dave