M6040 weak loader, steering

Ralls Grove Farms

Equipment
M6040
Apr 19, 2015
Creal Springs, Il USA
Hello! I have a M6040 that has a weak loader since day one. Been back to dealer and says is fine. At low RPM the steering pulses as you turn the wheel. Tried to use the draft while using a hay king pasture renovator but wouldn't pull implement out of ground before spinning out. While using the loader with pallet forks picking up less than rated amount of weight you will have to curl down then lift as high as it will go then curl to get off the ground. When it was at the dealer they said loader cables were out of adjustment. When it returned it was worse. It is now out of warranty and I would like to try and adjust the hydraulic pressure myself. I made a test gauge adapter to fit into one of the outlets on the rear of tractor. I downloaded a manual online. If I read it correctly the adjustment is external and beside the rear outlets. The dealer said it was inside the case and had to be shimmed. Will this adjustment on the rear adjust the steering, loader, lift arms and the rear outlets? Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My tractor is a M7040 so my comments may or may not give you some clues.
I have learned that at least two relief valves are involved with the 3pt and the FEL since they all are tied into the same circuit.
My 3 pt had a hard time lifting a heavy snow blower. My manual showed how to adjust the relief valve pressure near the rear remotes and no shims were required. It increased the max pressure on the rear remotes a few hundred psi but not enough to make a difference.
Spoke to the dealer's mechanic who said also need to adjust the relief valve incorporated into the FEL valve. He said it will limit the pressure on the overall circuit as well and limit both what the 3 pt and fel will do. This valve required removing a couple of plates near the right foot step and since it was winter I have not done it yet.
I have the Kubota shop manual and it is not very helpful.
Dave M7040

Ralls Grove Farms

Equipment
M6040
Apr 19, 2015
Creal Springs, Il USA
I built a gauge to fit on quick couplers. I tested one outlet on rear, it was a hair below 2500psi. I adjusted the relief valve one turn in and it raised it to a touch below 2700 at idle or full throttle. another half turn in didn't raise it any. I adapted to fit loader outlet and it was the same psi. Didn't get out and try to see if it helped. I did see an adjustment that looked like the relief on the rear that was on loader spool. The pressure would drop as son as you let off the isa
The way I am seeing the hydraulic schematic is the loader gets a full supply from 2 lines in from outlet block on belly of tractor. The 3 point arms get another line from pump to outlet relief block on rear of tractor.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I think 2770 psi would be about right. I agree with how you think FEL & 3 pt are supplied. When you had Hay King attached did you have centerlink attached to lower hole in tractor centerlink bracket? When I 1st bought my M7040 I could hear thumping sounds that appeared to be power steering related. I now have nearly 1000 hrs on it and don't hear the sounds but I have no idea when noise stopped.

Last edited:

Ralls Grove Farms

Equipment
M6040
Apr 19, 2015
Creal Springs, Il USA
Tx Jim, I don't recall what position the center link was in. What baffles me is when I put the gauge in a rear outlet and move lever to supply pressure to gauge as soon as I let lever return to center the gauge starts dropping in pressure. Will drop at a rapid rate until 500 psi and it slows but will continue to drop. When mine was new it had a sound as you describe also. I don't notice it now. It reminded me of a pulsing sound when a hyd pump is not getting oil.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I've got a M5140 (only 50 hrs) and so far the hydraulics work fine with the exception of needing a little throttle to work properly. Not sure if a sound I'm hearing is the same as you describe. Near the front of the tractor is this percolation sound for lack of a better description. Kind of like a coffee pot. What years are you guys M6040's and M7040's? I remember a thread from a while back talking about this sound.

Fruitfarmer131

Equipment
M6040, M8540, M5950, M7040
Nov 1, 2013
Kewadin, Mi 49648
I have both the 7040 and 6040 steering is OK, but both 3 pt won't pick up what they should. Have to believe that it is in the valving, not exactly sure where that is, the remotes are mounted on the rear. I'm also having an issue with the tilt on one of them, it will completely whether there are forks, or bucket mounted or not extend overnight. I'm thinking there may some internal o-rings in the valve spool that are worn out.