Hydraulic whining noise

campdg24

Equipment
Kubota 1860 with power angle snow blade
Feb 12, 2010
Wexford, PA, United States
As a proud new owner of a BX 1860, I've noticed a progressively longer whining noise when raising the 3 pt hitch. It operates fine after 10-15 min warm up, however when operating for 30+ min, the pump whines for a couple of seconds before it abruptly slams the 3 pt hitch at the top of it's lift. This occurs even when trying to slowly raise the hitch. The dealer said the unit's raising speed was appropriately adjusted upon purchase. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the noise?

Thanks

ldunlap

Equipment
B6100
May 26, 2018
Palestine, IL
I recently bought a B6100E. It was tasked with lifting and running a 5 foot brush hog mower all it's life. When I raise the 3 point lever very slightly, it makes a very loud squeal. If I open the lever fully, there isn't any noise. The noise also sounds expensive.

I'm slowly going over the tractor. The fluid looks clear and slightly straw colored. The fluid is also full. I haven't checked the filter screen yet. I do have a new one in standby. Any ideas?

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
As a proud new owner of a BX 1860, I've noticed a progressively longer whining noise when raising the 3 pt hitch. It operates fine after 10-15 min warm up, however when operating for 30+ min, the pump whines for a couple of seconds before it abruptly slams the 3 pt hitch at the top of it's lift. This occurs even when trying to slowly raise the hitch. The dealer said the unit's raising speed was appropriately adjusted upon purchase. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the noise?

Thanks
I have the same tractor that you do. While I cannot say what is causing your issue I will say that mine exhibited the same behavior when I changed my hydraulic fluid from the original fluid to SUDT2. When I changed the fluid to Wal-Mart Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor hydraulic and transmission oil it operated normally again. I don't think too many people on this forum will recommend using the Wal-Mart brand hydraulic fluid but it worked for me. I think that the Kubota SUDT2 was too viscous for my tractor hydraulic system. That is just my theory and there will be many other who will disagree with me but again, it worked for me. Do whatever you think is right for your tractor but remember that my model and yours came from the factory with fluid developed before SUDT2 came on the market. The Wal-Mart brand of fluid meets the same specification as what originally came in your tractor.

Last edited:

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho

Thanks
That whining sound generally means the pump is sucking air.

How cold is the fluid? Is there any water condensate in it? If it's cold the viscosity may be really high and/or the water can be frozen reducing pump inflow and that can cause the relief valve to open by passing fluid away from the lift cylinder. if the engine is left running, the fluid will warm up a bit. If that valve closes suddenly, then suddenly you have fluid to the lift cylinder and depending on the hitch load the relief valve can suddenly close and if the lift control is at the highest position it can suddenly lift.

Using a fluid with a lower viscosity or getting some heat on the hydraulic reservoir can help prevent this.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a feedback control rod on the tractor attached to the small lift arms of the 3PH (rockshafts I believe is the proper name).

If it is loose or maladjusted then that can allow the system to actuate the pressure relief valve which creates a high pitched squeal. Usually occurs at the highest lift position but maybe yours is way out.

Do you have a work shop manual? It will provide troubleshooting steps. You may be able to find a free one online. Search on this site for suggestions on where to go to get one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk