RCK60B23BX gear box problem after seal change

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
The gear box lower seal was leaking on my 60" mower deck. I took it apart installed the new seal and put everything back together. Now this is the problem [not sure if it was like this before] I can move the blade in and out about 1/4" now. The shaft moves up and down inside the gear box as well. What I did was take it apart and the lower bearing inside the center pulley holder moves up and down inside the aluminum housing. I my housing worn out this much. Looking at parts diagram there is a snap ring just above the seal that is supposed to hold the lower bearing inside the housing. What I'am wondering is why can I move the bearing up into the housing this far.The blade boss is supposed to push against the bearing supposedly keep the shaft from moving up and down. What do you suppose is wrong with mine.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
There is a spacer called a "boss spline" that goes into the seal & spaces the bearing up onto the shaft to the snap ring. I have just replaced mine & you need to be careful to set the space when installing the lower seal & bearing, tight fit. Caution, there appears to be 2 listings usually depending on serial number of your deck if you need to order one.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
There is a spacer called a "boss spline" that goes into the seal & spaces the bearing up onto the shaft to the snap ring. I have just replaced mine & you need to be careful to set the space when installing the lower seal & bearing, tight fit. Caution, there appears to be 2 listings usually depending on serial number of your deck if you need to order one.
This is like my RCK60-24B gear box...

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I understand what your saying about the boss spline. it fits onto the shaft and is held up by a snap ring. It goes through the seal and pushes onto the center of the bearing [or is supposed to. With mine it does that but the bearing is loose enough in the housing that it will allow the bearing to slide upwards into the housing making a space of about 1/4" between the bearing and the internal snap ring .To me this isn't right because it lets the shaft move in and out or up and down into the gear box. What I'm wondering is the inside of the aluminum housing worn out. To me the bearing should fit into the housing snuggly and then the snap ring should just fit in to keep the bearing from coming or dropping back out.
Looks like I might have to take the seal out and pull the bearing out to see if the housing has worn out.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I hear you, my seal & bearing was a very tight press fit, not even close to being loose.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I meant to ask before, is the large snap ring above the bearing in place & seated. Hopefully did not move or come out while installing new seal. Not the small snap ring at the bottom next to the blade.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I meant to ask before, is the large snap ring above the bearing in place & seated. Hopefully did not move or come out while installing new seal. Not the small snap ring at the bottom next to the blade.
I never took that apart because it was the seal in the bottom of the gear box that was leaking oil.
I didn't take the
Center Pulley holder apart other then taking it off in one completed piece.
I suspect something is worn out because a bearing shouldn't move up and down inside this housing.Guess I'll have to take the Center Pulley Holder completly apart to see whats wrong and more then likely worn.
Thanks for all the info from everyone.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
The new parts finally came in so I took the Center Pulley Holder apart today. So to my surprise the large snap ring that's supposed to hold the bearing up was missing. So this is why the shaft going into the gear box would move up and down. I have about 850 cutting hrs on it so due the bearing being able to move up and down in the housing it worn the housing out. With the new parts and a snap ring installed there's no more movement. So it's fixed and ready to go.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
Glad you found the problem. I am amazed with that many hours it didn't lock up & take out the gear box shaft. Replaced mine when I heard the bearing squealing at 600 hrs & prayed it was only the lower bearing & not the $1400 gear box.