bh77 backhoe swing problem

Manhut

Mar 10, 2018
tannersville,pa.
Hi,it's Tim
My bh77 backhoe won't swing to the left very fast, it's extremely slow. It does swing right no problem.If I operate it for a while it starts working ok. I admit sometimes I did push it myself sideways not running to fit in garage. Did i damage a valve or what could I look for ? Thanks in advance....T

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I don't think you can hurt it pushing it by hand but I think if you can push it and it moves you may have a problem. I have the same hoe and although I have never tried I doubt I could move it. Someone really smart will be along shortly and tell us what is up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you can move the swing by hand or really any other means of pushing, you have a blown cylinder seal. ;)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
If you can move the swing by hand or really any other means of pushing, you have a blown cylinder seal. ;)
I have the same issue...but also have bleed down on another cylinder and weak jerky movement on a couple of other different rams...I was suspecting the main valve block was screwed up...as it has been a problem since day one.

Is there any chance that both swivel cylinders blow at the same time...as both would need to have failed for it to move by hand?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there any chance that both swivel cylinders blow at the same time...as both would need to have failed for it to move by hand?
Not necessarily, as they are plumbed in a reverse tandem, so one bleeding off will let the other move. ;)

Manhut

Mar 10, 2018
tannersville,pa.
I've used mine for many years no kind of problems. Yes you can move boom side to side but it takes alot of push and moves slow. but i think i might have done something too it. mine also does that on and off lunging as it moves to the side.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Try pulling the cover off the BH to expose the control lever linkage. Make sure that the lever connections are not bound. There are three bolts that attach the levers to the rod end joints. If they are not aligned correctly, it can cause the valve to not open up enough to get full flow to the cylinder. Simply stated, check the position of all of the control rod connections to see if any are causing binding when you move the control sticks.

These are the little buggers I'm referring to...

Attachments

Last edited:

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
Try pulling the cover off the BH to expose the control lever linkage. Make sure that the lever connections are not bound. There are three bolts that attach the levers to the rod end joints. If they are not aligned correctly, it can cause the valve to not open up enough to get full flow to the cylinder. Simply stated, check the position of all of the control rod connections to see if any are causing binding when you move the control sticks.

These are the little buggers I'm referring to...
I came here to comment on this. The nuts that hold the rod links on came loose and I slowly lost movement in my BH since the rod was moving on the bolts. Eventually one fell off and I noticed when I couldn't move my stick! I took a punch and indented the threads so the nut at least wont come off again.

DavidLott

Equipment
L3301HST, BH77, Rotary mower, box blade
Apr 2, 2019
SALEM
I've fixed it. As suggested, I took off the covers. All my linkage was fine. On a whim, I adjusted the adjustment screw on the swing control valve ccw about 1&1/2 turns and now it works fine. Mine was not swinging to the right at normal speed.

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
I've fixed it. As suggested, I took off the covers. All my linkage was fine. On a whim, I adjusted the adjustment screw on the swing control valve ccw about 1&1/2 turns and now it works fine. Mine was not swinging to the right at normal speed.
I have the same problem. Where did you find information on the adjustment screw? My old BT603 backhoe felt very precise but the swing on my new BH77 feels pretty unusual. There’s only 15 hours on my B2650 and most of that is backhoe time.