Antifreeze ??

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I think I asked this question a couple years ago. Which coolant to use in my L3800. I see my overflow is down and would like to top it off.
My understanding of coolant is you match the color. If its factory green coolant. You use aftermarket green. If its chevy orange, you replace the coolant with orange. ect ect. My Kubota was down once before, the Kubota dealer sold me Polaris coolant , he said they did not stock Kubota and the Polaris was fine. And it was green. SO. If Texaco coolant is green. I'm all set ? I'd like to know what others are using Brand ect.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Diesel engine cooling systems should have coolant that is formulated for them, and it is different than that used in gasoline engine systems. The extended life coolant manufacturers use in today's advanced diesel engines is pretty good stuff. Supposed to last a considerable bit longer than coolants used to.

I recommend it over anything else. Buy it premixed, no muss no fuss, just pour it in.

And should you find the need to have to drain and replace it, don't feed it to the neighbor's cat, take it to town with you next time you go and drop it off at the recycle place.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Diesel engine cooling systems should have coolant that is formulated for them, and it is different than that used in gasoline engine systems. The extended life coolant manufacturers use in today's advanced diesel engines is pretty good stuff. Supposed to last a considerable bit longer than coolants used to.

I recommend it over anything else. Buy it premixed, no muss no fuss, just pour it in.

And should you find the need to have to drain and replace it, don't feed it to the neighbor's cat, take it to town with you next time you go and drop it off at the recycle place.
To expand on this..... Engineers discovered that the sleeves within diesel engines (piston slides within the sleeves) tend to suffer from cavitation which forms microbubbles. Over time, this cavitation can corrode the sleeves from the outside-in.

Bottom line, use the antifreeze specified by manufacturer who has spent years experimenting to find out what works best.... you do not have to repeat the failed experiments :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
To expand on this..... Engineers discovered that the sleeves within diesel engines (piston slides within the sleeves) tend to suffer from cavitation which forms microbubbles. Over time, this cavitation can corrode the sleeves from the outside-in.

Bottom line, use the antifreeze specified by manufacturer who has spent years experimenting to find out what works best.... you do not have to repeat the failed experiments :)
Not many people mention the cavitation. The additive to minimize it was at one point in time iodine.
I use a universal coolant,long life and considered heavy duty. Celcius. It has served me well and its all i stock in my shop. Only time i use oem coolant is when
vehicle is less than 5 years old and im repairing a leak.

Last edited:

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
I didn't mean to say that only OEM coolant should be used. Any quality brand coolant of the correct specification will work just fine.

Same for oils and lubes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

This is not an issue with Kubota engines as they are dry sleeve engines (no coolant touches the sleeves). ;)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
You are on the right track... Just topping off, use the same coolant type. In your case standard green, which is the same type factory fill in my last 3 Kubotas. I have switched out to HOAT coolant at the first scheduled coolant service, but that involves a complete flush of the system.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
What is HOAT coolant?
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology.
It is a low silicate, phosphate free coolant that uses OAT and benzoate as an inhibitor. Basically a long life coolant (5y / 150k) that doesn't use the same corrosion inhibitor as other long life coolants.
I switched multiple vehicles / tractors to Zerex G05 (HOAT) after some extremely bad experiences with DexCool (OAT) with some type of corrosion inhibitor that caused significant problems. I believe the inhibitor is 2eh (?) that remains the active ingredient in DexCool and Ford Specialty Orange.
That said, Ford and GM have both designed their recent engines and cooling systems around DexCool type coolants.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not to be a smart arse but please explain what you just said in simple English to those of us that have not been educated in anti freeze jargen

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Cummins Fleet Guard makes a lifetime (1 million miles) coolant that can be used in our Kubotas, it never needs to be changed and does not require yearly testing.

PN CC36077

Our tractors come with ethylene glycol coolant where most cars have gone to Propylene glycol because of the bitter taste to animals and because it is less toxic.

TTW

Equipment
M135GX, B2320
Jan 27, 2019
Edmond, OK
I try not pay the exorbitant prices that the OEMs (e.g. Kubota) charge for fluids (or for that matter many filters available from respectable manufacturers like Baldwin or Fram). I did some research on anti-freeze/coolant- yes it was tough. Is Dex-Cool the same as Ford - hard to say based on the information posted - some say look at the color and that is the definition of "same". Getting specs (e.g. SAE J814C) per my Kubota manual from the anti-freeze manufacturers was unfulfilling to say the least. You do have better luck with getting specs on oil. I decided to use Zerex G-05 for my two Kubotas and my 2017 F-350 - all diesels. Got a decent deal on Amazon for 6 gallons.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
And lots of smaller kubotas have no sleeves. Buy a diesel type antifreeze and drive away.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And lots of smaller kubotas have no sleeves. Buy a diesel type antifreeze and drive away.
That is simply not true, many of the kubota engines of all sizes have sleeves.

They have dry sleeves, so it makes no difference on the antifreeze type. ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My Kubota M4700 Owner's Manual doesn't specify what type of antifreeze other than to mention it's a "glycol" type. Ordinary green Prestone ought to work if you don't mind replacing it more frequently but the 5-year types are likely better for long term use.