L4610 loader very slow and sticking

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
I have a L4610, the joystick in the cold is very hard to move. When I raise the bucket it keeps going and I have to force it to stop. The tractor has a cab. Does the joystick need some kind of lubricant? Does the joystick operate the valve body with cables? Thanks Mopar2ya

2Huskies

Equipment
B3000
Jun 11, 2018
Glenburn, ND
I don't have an L series, so not sure if any of this applies to your problem, but I had the same issue on my B3000 with my front mount snowblower. On the B3000, the valve body is controlled through cables connected to the joystick.

I did initially attempt to lubricate the joystick, thinking that it was causing the problem, but it didn't help any.

Upon investigation, I found a spot where the plastic sheath on one of the cables was worn through to the steel inner core. Turns out the cable was rubbing on part of the frame under the tractor. This allowed moisture to get into the inside of the cable. When cold enough, the moisture in the cable would freeze, making joystick movement very difficult, almost to the point of being impossible. I ended up removing the cable from the tractor and brought it inside to thaw out. I dried it out as good as I could with heat and compressed air and put some weatherproofing heat shrink tubing over the area to seal it. I may replace the cable eventually, but for now, it is working fine after the repair.

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
Thanks I will have a look and put some heat on the cables with a hair dryer, that's what I was thinking water somewhere in the cables. We are talking minus 25c up here Eh!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I think the valve is down low on the tractor. Look for the quick couplers as they will be on the valve or very close to it.
Cables run from the joystick to the valve.

Try and get your hands on a large syringe like for animals. TSC in Canada usually has them.

Get gas line antifreeze, i.e. methanol and inject it into the cables up high so it runs down to the ice. You cannot put too much in.

Consider it a temp fix and start saving for new cables.

Dave

Last edited: