Fuel cap missing L3901

Roundround

Equipment
L3901 HST
Aug 25, 2016
Beards town, IL
Went out to my property to mow with my 2015 L3901 and found the fuel filler cap missing. The tractor was sitting within sight of chip road so I don't know if I left loose, raccoon spun it off, or someone else lost theirs and mine was a handy replacement. I lean towards the last scenario, but it really doesn't matter, I got to deal with results now. I haven't used the tractor for several weeks and we've had quite a bit of rain. I'm sure I need to drain and remove the tank, rinse and refill. Change fuel filter and clean out water separator. Is there anything else I need to do to it?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Yes! Buy a new fuel filler cap. :D

Not certain if I would remove the tank... I'd drain the fuel into a clean white bucket and observe what contamination is evident. If bad clean tank. If relatively clean refuel with clean fuel. (I'm assuming it is a good bit of work to remove tank. If easy, I'd clean it.)

Good luck.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I would also drain the tank, refill with a couple gallons, and drain again. To reclaim the fuel, a great product is a filtering funnel called "Mr Funnel". It will not pass water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think I'm with 200, and not remove the tank just yet.

I would do exactly as he and others suggested.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have looked at the WSM on removing the fuel tank about a year ago and I decided not to go down that road.

Did they just take the fuel cap or did they help themselves to some fuel also?

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I would do as some of the others have suggested. If you do not want to remove the tank to do a little bit better of a cleaning, drain tank by pulling a fuel line coming out of the tank as far away from the tank as possible to remove any water that may have got past the tank into the line, water is heavier than fuel. Rinse with fuel and drain again. When you refill, top off, and use an additive that specifically deals with water in the fuel. High pressure fuel pumps and common rail fuel systems DO NOT like water.
Good luck.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I know it don’t help now, but I would put a trail camera up where you keep your tractor. Might help with future incidents

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Drain, refill some, drain again, The treat fue with Biocide, I use Soltron, not startron (you can get it at napa auto parts).

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I would also drain the tank, refill with a couple gallons, and drain again. To reclaim the fuel, a great product is a filtering funnel called "Mr Funnel". It will not pass water.

As much as I like and use the Mr Funnels, I would recommend against trying to reclaim rhe fuel. The Mr Funnels will not remove dust particles and mold spores that will have blown in while the cap was off. Given the cost of common rail components, now would not be the time to be frugal.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
As much as I like and use the Mr Funnels, I would recommend against trying to reclaim rhe fuel. The Mr Funnels will not remove dust particles and mold spores that will have blown in while the cap was off. Given the cost of common rail components, now would not be the time to be frugal.

I didn't consider the other contaminants involved in the op's case. Who knows what's in the fuel now, perhaps even vandalized.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would recommend against trying to reclaim rhe fuel. The Mr Funnels will not remove dust particles and mold spores that will have blown in while the cap was off.
I didn't consider the other contaminants involved in the op's case. Who knows what's in the fuel now, perhaps even vandalized.
If I were the OP, I wouldn't re-use the fuel, but not for any objective reasons why....

You guys have great points I hadn't thought of.

Roundround

Equipment
L3901 HST
Aug 25, 2016
Beards town, IL

I stopped by and looked at tractor on my through today to check on a few things mentioned. Pic shows water definitely in system. Tank was still full of fuel so, siphoning going on.

I think I will drain fuel from tank and see how it goes and get the additive from Napa to help with moisture. I’ve got some gravel that needs weed killing so that’s we’re I think old fuel will go.

Thanks a million for all the input and suggestions. Big Orange comes through again!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Be mindful of the size of your Pic's too large of pic's make a thread unreadable. ;)

Note: I resized the pic.

Last edited:

Roundround

Equipment
L3901 HST
Aug 25, 2016
Beards town, IL
Update: Drained tank, flushed lines to spin on filter, replaced filter. Partial filled tank with fuel and additive. Run a short time and separator full again, there must be some area that held water and slimy gunk. Drained separator again and had partial refill after running mower a few minutes. Decided to remove tank and power wash inside to clean well. Will rinse with alcohol and leave in sun to dry out well. Refill tank, clean separator, flush lines, and replace spin filter.

The stuff coming out of tank is slimy and chunky. No bueno.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Update: Drained tank, flushed lines to spin on filter, replaced filter. Partial filled tank with fuel and additive. Run a short time and separator full again, there must be some area that held water and slimy gunk. Drained separator again and had partial refill after running mower a few minutes. Decided to remove tank and power wash inside to clean well. Will rinse with alcohol and leave in sun to dry out well. Refill tank, clean separator, flush lines, and replace spin filter.

The stuff coming out of tank is slimy and chunky. No bueno.
You might want to power wash it inside with Purple Zep or Purple power and then rinse it with acetone, not alcohol.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The common rail engines are "extremely" intolerant of water, so make sure you get it all out. Well they'll tolerate a tiny bit (as in parts per million) but if/when the supply pump fails, you'll be out thousands. They-and the rail, injectors, and sensors that all come into contact with the fuel-are NOT cheap! They also don't like gasoline in the fuel.