Kubota BX24 Mechanical Thumb Bolt Position Question

Shelby04861

Jul 13, 2019
Thomaston, Maine
So. I received the mechanical thumb from Amazon the other day(wish I could say the same for the long list of parts from the dealership for the tractor). There are no specific instructions that come with it. While it does make sense how to install it for the most part, I want to make sure that I tighten it down at the correct location on the dipper. Also, there are many locations in which to install the 4 provided through bolts. I want to make sure that I am putting them in the correct holes is all, so that I don't damage anything during use. Below is the one I received and it seems well built. I am heading out now to bolt it on how I am seen in the product photos, and see if it will hold correctly. My model has 4 smaller and 1 larger bolt as you can see in the product photo. I will post photos if I figure it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXTJ7K5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I have the Titan thumb on my BX24. It looks to be exactly the same as yours. Mine needed a 1/4 inch spacer between the thumb and stick. Watch for clearance between the thumb and bucket cylinder. I ended up cutting off the side plates above the holes I used and I made a new channel piece to replace the one that came with the thumb.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shelby04861

Jul 13, 2019
Thomaston, Maine
This is how I have it on loosely at the moment with the bolts where I saw in some of the photos. I want to have it in the correct position on the dipper, but if not, I can see how it limits bucket movement, and how it can break the hose as I have shown. Would it be correct to assume the thumb will limit bucket extension to an extent?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OUCH ! I don't like the 'fit',too close to 'stuff' ! I'd probably cut off above the 3 holes, keep say 1/2" above. I don't see a 2nd hole along the bottom for securing it either. Maybe it's a 'black hole' and I can't see it ?
You maybe able to use Google to find 'images' of that unit installed.
The further 'up the boom' the bigger round the log you can grab, but then can't grab toothpicks... so placement is a compromise.
Just be sure to GENTLY move everything to see NOTHING can hit and damage the BH !

Shelby04861

Jul 13, 2019
Thomaston, Maine
I think I have it close to where it should be. I did Google a bunch to see what others look like. I have seen the other brand BXpandit or whatever, which I hear a lot of guys mention on here so far from what I have read. I also emailed the seller to see if they could get me the actual company name and email address, so that I might get the best answer. I realize this is part of buying a universal model. Once I figure it out I should be fine. It definitely seems really well built!

Shelby04861

Jul 13, 2019
Thomaston, Maine
I have the Titan thumb on my BX24. It looks to be exactly the same as yours. Mine needed a 1/4 inch spacer between the thumb and stick. Watch for clearance between the thumb and bucket cylinder. I ended up cutting off the side plates above the holes I used and I made a new channel piece to replace the one that came with the thumb.
It does look very similar. I will look up that brand and see what they have for info as well. When you have a few can you take some closer up photos showing what you mentioned just to see better. I do feel like it should have some spacer plates as well, as mine does not have a tight fit on the dipper.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Here are some close up pics. As you can see, there is very little clearance between the thumb and fitting on the cylinder when the cylinder is extended. The bucket linkage hits the bolt when the cylinder is retracted. I plan to countersink the holes on the thumb and use flathead bolts there to prevent the linkage hitting. I made a new channel piece that fits tightly against the outside of the dipper stick. I made it from a piece of square tube. I also added a channel piece to the inside of the dipper stick. The 2 channel pieces keep the thumb from sliding up the stick because it it tapered.

Attachments

Shelby04861

Jul 13, 2019
Thomaston, Maine
Here are some close up pics. As you can see, there is very little clearance between the thumb and fitting on the cylinder when the cylinder is extended. The bucket linkage hits the bolt when the cylinder is retracted. I plan to countersink the holes on the thumb and use flathead bolts there to prevent the linkage hitting. I made a new channel piece that fits tightly against the outside of the dipper stick. I made it from a piece of square tube. I also added a channel piece to the inside of the dipper stick. The 2 channel pieces keep the thumb from sliding up the stick because it it tapered.
It does look very similar. I might have to make the modifications like you did, or set it at a certain point and keep that limitation in mind. The seller and or company is being less than helpful. Your modifications seem like exactly what I would do, but always better to consult before cutting.