Land plane

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I see a land plane in my future. I am getting better with the box blade but I know a plane would be better. That being said.......does anyone actually use a land plane on LAND (dirt)? I see what it can do for a roadway but can it be used as effectively on dirt? It seems to me that a box blade would be a better choice for dirt work while the plane would be better for gravel.
Anyone have thought or experience either way?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
I have experience.

The land plane does not move dirt, but I think you knew that.

What it does do well is smooth out dirt. I use it on virgin dirt to repair the cabin driveway and it was very effective at smoothing things out. I used the shanks to break up the dirt where the tires made ruts, then pulled the shanks and smoothed it off.

Our dirt is a mix of glacial rocks and clay. I did have to pick the big rocks before the smoothing operation, which is what children are for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I see a land plane in my future. I am getting better with the box blade but I know a plane would be better. That being said.......does anyone actually use a land plane on LAND (dirt)? I see what it can do for a roadway but can it be used as effectively on dirt? It seems to me that a box blade would be a better choice for dirt work while the plane would be better for gravel.
Anyone have thought or experience either way?
I use my land plane on dirt all the time, works like a charm, levels out everything nicely when I make ruts with the tractors and bobcat. :D

I leveled my pad for the house build, got it within an inch across 4000 sf.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thank you Wolfman....I suspected as much but nobody seems to talk about anything but their roads and driveways.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Never used a land plane on dirt personally but have seen one used on dirt driveways. Its very similar to a box blade except it will not drag and move the dirt. It will scrape off the top layer of dirt and settle it right back down in an even pattern. In the cases Ive seen it used it was to smooth a road back out after like lots of rain where water had cut some small ruts and channels in the road, or to smooth out other wear on the raod. It will leave the road looking nice and even, and smooth out any ruts. But yes, it will most certainly work on dirt, and works well on dirt imo.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I've used mine on dirt and it works well but not without limitations.

The following will limit the flow of dirt out the rear; pine straw, leaves, sticks, roots, etc. It clogs up and the median does not flow smoothly out.

When I use mine I try to remove the above by using a blower mostly and a rake when necessary.

Does a fine job if the above is not present, drop 3 pt. and go.

I'll be using mine tonight on my road to level it back out after I used my rake to pull up my ditches and create some speed bumps/ rain diverters.

Jay

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Late to the party, but I’ll toss my nickel in the pot.

I use a dirt dog land plane at work. We have large gravel lots to keep up. People love to spin doughnuts in them, the land plane works well.

We also have heavy use softball fields to upkeep. I’ve started dragging them with the land plane to cut the higher spots down around the bases from sliding in. Works great for that. Then I come back in with the field rake to smooth and make a nice finish.

It works well for the infield skin of clay,sand and conditioner. Fresh clumps of dug dirt, I wouldn’t see it working as designed.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I pull a Land Pride GS2584 around on our camp roads it works great in stone and dirt. The TNT comes in handy when using Land Planes and box Scrapers.

If you have a heavy box scraper with hydraulic operated ripper teeth along with the top and tilt cylinders you can pretty much shape your dirt/stone roads any way you want them.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I use my land plane to groom my walking trails and quad trails too. Sticks and branches will clog it up, so take or cultivate out the branches. It works on all ground except when really muddy.
.....and yes, your shop should be twice the size of the house!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep shop should always be larger cause you will not believe the things that will find a home in your shop, and I aint even talkin about the creepy crawlies either :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea I don't know what I was thinking... :eek:

Oh yea now I remember... ;)

Happy wife, Happy life! :cool:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yup, we're getting a new kitchen and I'm the one who cooks, mostly. I try to keep her to one project at a time...
So the wife does the remodeling and you do the cooking... Nice task switch! ;)

Is her next task, a remodel on the bathroom? :D