It's a good thing stupid doesn't hurt.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
The last three years, I've gone to fire up the AC in the Cabota (my B2650) and it didn't work. Each time it's been a blown o-ring, two in the compressor and one in the evaporator.

So, this spring the AC isn't working AGAIN, and I assume there's another issue, probably a @#)$(*ing o-ring. So, this morning I took it to my favorite mechanic and said "fix it".

He called this afternoon and said "Come get your tractor."

"Cool," sez I, "What'd ya find?"

"Nothing, working fine"

"???"

So I went over and picked it up and we talked a bit.

Turns out, after you turn the temp control to cold and turn the fan to high, there's this little button marked "AC" that you push, a green light comes on and cold air comes out of the vents...

Doh...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Paul - -
I’ve NEVER done anything stupid like that......and I’m lying big time!!![emoji15]
We’ve all been there; good you can laugh at yourself about it...I know sometimes I really crack myself up!![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I still laugh at my stupidity when I bought my first M9 cab way back when. Was at the dealer and he said 'Your tractor is out back, keys are in it go fire it up', so I trundle out, get in it and turn the key and nothing, so I turn the key back off, take it out, put it in and repeat...nothing.

Did that a few times. Went back inside and asked when they were delivering it, answer was 2 days. I said cool but never said it would not crank.

When the owner delivered it and gave me the owners manual, before I tried it that time I read the manual and it plainly stated there were 3 distinct positions on the key switch. Preheat start and run (switch returned to a half position by itself).

At the dealer I wasn't going past preheat. Never engaged the starter at all.

Oh well, what a manual is for.:eek:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Paul you are not alone. Get stuff like that weekly at work. Just the other day had a car come in that’s been at three different dealers for the lane keeping assist not work and the light on the dash, other dealers said no codes in the system, and they don’t know what’s wrong. So I get in it and go drive it, light is on, press the button on the dash that turns the system on and guess what, it works and the light goes off.

My favorite ones though are the ones that have the car towed cause it doesn’t start, battery test and it needs a battery, they then say our battery is too expensive, they can get one at wherever for so much less. We jump it off and send them on there way. Later in the day it comes back on the wrecker, won’t start, they are pissed cause we said it needed a battery. Go out, pop the hood, take the cable off, pull the plastic cap off the battery terminal, and start the car. How expensive was our battery now? That happens a lot.

Glad I’ve never done anything stupid!;):rolleyes:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
@Fordtech86 - Similar story.

Car needed new wipers. Stopped at NAPA and picked up a set of Bosch Premium wipers and put them on.

Started raining on the way home so I turned them on. GOOD GOLLY what a mess. Smearing, streaking, actually easier to see with them turned off. Hung a u-ey and went storming right back to NAPA. Got out to take the wipers back off so I could suggest a couple of things NAPA could do with them when I noticed the protective plastic sleeves over the rubber blades...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've had that exact sort of thing happen many times in my life, but in my case, it was because the button in question had warped into another dimension, only to return when someone else comes over to demonstrate the correct procedure.

:rolleyes:

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

Car needed new wipers. Stopped at NAPA and picked up a set of Bosch Premium wipers and put them on.

Started raining on the way home so I turned them on. GOOD GOLLY what a mess. Smearing, streaking, actually easier to see with them turned off. Hung a u-ey and went storming right back to NAPA. Got out to take the wipers back off so I could suggest a couple of things NAPA could do with them when I noticed the protective plastic sleeves over the rubber blades...
Did this when I put new wipers on the wifes car some time ago. It rained the next day. She had quite the laugh at my expense. As did I.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

I always tell the new kids at work to leave them on cause the wipers last longer! And I hope you didn’t take my reply in a bad way, I was laughing with you not at you. Those things happen everyday.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
And stupid can get you hurt, luckily in your case “stupid” didn’t. I’ve been on the side of stupid hurts many of times;)

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Had been in new home about 4 years when septic started smelling real bad. I always do yearly service by dropping in chlorine tabs & cleaning aerator pump. Called the folks that installed it asking what could be wrong. They asked when was last time the filter had been cleaned. My response was, " filter..what filter?".

Wife called me at work one super cold winter day saying furnace not working. Being I wouldn't be home until many hours later, I told her call service man. Local outfit & really nice folks. They showed up pronto and replaced the AA's in thermostat. That one cost $75!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A few years ago I had mounted my Hiniker snow plow on the truck but I couldn't get my headlights to work. I finally took it over to a neighbor mechanic. I left to go to the farm and asked him to call me when he had it figured out. About 3 miles down the road he call and said it was ready.

I asked him what the problem was. He said "operator error". I didn't turn the switch on the remote control on.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Boy I am glad I aint never done nuttin like youz guys,,,,, coff coff coff

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LMAO,, 6 inches higher and I would have been singing soprano..lol

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My son in law bought a house, the back deck was sagging at one corner. Underneath the deck were 4x4 posts about 8 ft high. I set a temporary post under the corner on a jack, propped a ladder against one of the posts I needed to remove and begin to remove the nail. One fourth of a second later, on my back I asked myself. What made you think that post and ladder was going to stay there when you removed those nails. At least the deck didn't fall on me!!!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Doing an oil change on one of my cars a few years back and chatting with the neighbor. Forgot to look at the old filter when I spun it off and spun the new one on with the seal from the old filter still attached to the engine. Finished the drain/fill and started it up. What's that sound? Oh, about 4 qts of nice new clean oil spraying over the driveway and underside of the car.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Bought a Honda EU2000 inverter generator because I wanted something that would start when I needed it so paid the premium. Start it every few months or find something to use it on to make sure it is ready to go in case of emergencies. One time I had a heck of a time starting it, not normal for Honda right? Pulled the plug, cleaned the air filter, squirted in some starter fluid, added some Seafoam in a progression of trying to get it to run normally. Got it started a few times but it choked and sputtered. Then I noticed that the ECO switch was on, turned it to Normal and it ran like a Honda should, lol.

Had an MGB when I was a kid. Developed a leak in my radiator. Looking at it with some friends and I saw where it was leaking, stuck my hand down there to show my friends and discovered the fan blades turning so fast I did not see them. Luckily did not lose any digits, just a lot of blood from sliced finger tips. A lesson for youth, just because you can't see it does not mean that it won't hurt you.