HST Whine

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Setting on 122 hours, new Feb 18.

Followed the book and at 50hrs changed engine oil, filter and transmission filter only.

HST seems whining a little louder. Seen a post where that calms down some after couple fluid changes. If i read service matrix correctly it is not due until 200 hours. Fluid level correct and appears fine.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds correct, and they do quiet down after a change w/ SUDT2.

I have changed hydraulic fluid in my BX well before required intervals 3 times. It has less whine each time.

Given it's a small machine, it doesn't take a lot of time or $$ to do.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Sounds correct, and they do quiet down after a change w/ SUDT2.

I have changed hydraulic fluid in my BX well before required intervals 3 times. It has less whine each time.

Given it's a small machine, it doesn't take a lot of time or $$ to do.
Same here. I changed the hydraulic fluid to SUDT2 at the 50 hour mark and the HST seemed to be much quieter.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
This didnt come factory filled with UDT2?
Well I cant argue with success from the previous two posts, but it is more expensive. I mentioned UDT2 to the dealer and I gleaned from his non-verbals not much to gain....my interpretation. Assume he was thinking regular service intervals and no big deal.

Do ya know what it comes with from factory? I assume they are not going to put prime-time synthetic in from there. Gotta cut into their $$$ margins.

At the 50hr engine service I used 15-40 regular stuff. Sitting on 124 now, thinking maybe an upgrade prior to winter.

Still loving this 3901. Been weaned on older tractors and it sure is nice not to climb 8 stories to the seat with a breaker bar to assist with steering ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It may depend on when you got your tractor, but my understanding is current new tractors come with SUDT2 in transmission and hydraulics as well as front axle. UDT and SUDT2 are mixable just fine.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
It may depend on when you got your tractor, but my understanding is current new tractors come with SUDT2 in transmission and hydraulics as well as front axle. UDT and SUDT2 are mixable just fine.

Thats interesting. I did notice when i checked my oil, it was not as clean and factory oil change at 50hr. Got me thinking they used expensive stuff. Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
They all come factory filled with super UDT2.

Engines come filled with 10w30.

Exact same stuff you buy at the dealer, and I mean exactly the same stuff (difference being that the assembly line gets it out of a series of 55 gal drums and pump it in with a measured pumping device).

Has been this way since at least 2013. Maybe earlier.

The excavators and skid steer's are different of course.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The L3901 interval is the same as my L4060. HST (transmission) filter at 50h, 200h, and every 200h thereafter. The Hydraulic filter and fluid are changed at 400h, and every 400h thereafter.
Many change all fluids and filters at 50h.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CurtisC

Equipment
B26TLB
Sep 12, 2011
Elk Park, NC
Setting on 122 hours, new Feb 18.

Followed the book and at 50hrs changed engine oil, filter and transmission filter only.

HST seems whining a little louder. Seen a post where that calms down some after couple fluid changes. If i read service matrix correctly it is not due until 200 hours. Fluid level correct and appears fine.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks
Did you use Kubota filter for transmission? Kubota HST's are very filter sensitive (something I learned the hard way). Got a bad WIX filter that gave me increased whine and degraded cold weather performance, finally changed both Hydraulic and Transmission WIX filters I used for Kubota and problem went away.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
They all come factory filled with super UDT2.

Engines come filled with 10w30.

Exact same stuff you buy at the dealer, and I mean exactly the same stuff (difference being that the assembly line gets it out of a series of 55 gal drums and pump it in with a measured pumping device).

Has been this way since at least 2013. Maybe earlier.

The excavators and skid steer's are different of course.
10w30 is interesting. Makes me want to rethink my 15w40.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
My brand new 2501 whines a lot. I was initially a little concerned with how loud it was, especially in High gear. From reading it seems its pretty normal however. I am curious what actually is the source of the whining, like what mechanically is actually the source of that noise we hear? What are we actually hearing that is occuring? Im just curious

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Did you use Kubota filter for transmission? Kubota HST's are very filter sensitive (something I learned the hard way). Got a bad WIX filter that gave me increased whine and degraded cold weather performance, finally changed both Hydraulic and Transmission WIX filters I used for Kubota and problem went away.
Yes Sir, obtained from the dealer. Maybe all ok when i change next time. Thanks

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
My brand new 2501 whines a lot. I was initially a little concerned with how loud it was, especially in High gear. From reading it seems its pretty normal however. I am curious what actually is the source of the whining, like what mechanically is actually the source of that noise we hear? What are we actually hearing that is occuring? Im just curious
Syntheyic from factory and 10-30. That is interesting. Thanks. I may rethink my 15-40 this fall. Thanks

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
I just performed my 50 hr maintenance also.I used Valvoline premiun blue 10/30
and super udt2 and kubota filters all around.My tractor is noticeably quieter when cold now but has more whine when at operating temp now.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I may rethink my 15-40 this fall. Thanks
Spend the extra $5/gal For 5w-40 T6 full synthetic. There are no viscosity improvers in full synthetic oils, it's all handled in the refining process. Which means they are substantially less affected by temperature swings. You'll see a huge improvement in cranking when winter hits.

Last edited: