New to tractors, looking at a BX, & need advice!

Cerviperus

Jul 12, 2019
Oreana, IL
My wife & I are looking into getting a new sub-compact. Well, I'm looking, she's just ready for me to buy something so I quit talking about it. My biggest problem is simply my complete unfamiliarity with tractors, other than borrowing a buddy's older BX1800. So I know what functionality I want, but I don't know what exactly I need to get me there. I'm hoping those of you with direct experience will have more valuable input than someone trying to sell me one.

I'm sure like everyone else in my position, I don't want to over-buy, but I also don't want to get a new tractor home and soon realize it won't do what I need. I've talked to three different dealers, and seem to get different feedback from all of them, so I'm just as in the dark now as I was when I started.

I have right at 5.5 acres. Most of that is timber & river bottom ground. As it stands, I'm absolutely destroying my 42" Cub Cadet that I've had since our last house. These numbers are rough estimates...

• 2/3 Acre Residential Lawn
  • 1/4 Acre "Rough Cut" Clover Plot
  • 200' Gravel Drive & 14'x31' RV Pad
  • ATV Trails in Timber & Bottom Ground

Initially I was looking at the 2380 with mower, loader, 48" box blade, and 48" rotary cutter. Figure if I'm going to run a rotary, the 1880 might be under powered. One of the dealers instantly thought I should jump to the B series, but I really think that's above and beyond my needs. I don't have any intentions on adding a snow blower, plow, disc, etc. I have an ATV with a blade that handles my snow fine. It will primarily be used for mowing and loader work.

Another dealer recommends the 2680, but I'm sure the fact he has a couple on the lot (and no 2380's) doesn't hurt. He also recommends going with a 60" grading scraper instead of a box blade, and a 60" heavier duty rotary cutter. I believe him on the grading scraper now that I've looked at them, I do believe they would be better suited for maintaining my drive and other mild ground leveling duties. I don't plan to move a ton of material with a box blade, I was simply familiar with those and never heard of a grading scraper. I feel like a 48" rotary & scraper would be more than wide enough for my needs (I'm not maintaining a 1/4 mile lane or 20 acres of pasture), but he doesn't feel like the 12-series rotary cutters are made to last and that I'd be much happier with the heavier duty one.

Oh my god am I still completely lost...

His price for the BX2680 with QA-Loader, 60" Mower, 48" Grading Scraper, 60" Rotary - KTAC, tax and all, is around $23,500. That actually doesn't seem bad considering another dealer was at $21000 for the 2380 similarly equipped, but with a 48" cutter & box blade. They were both pretty much equal on tractor cost - the implements are making the biggest difference, at least between these two dealers.

So if you're still with me after this complete brain dump, my primary questions are:

1) Would you recommend the BX2380 or BX2680 (or dare I ask about the BX1880)?

2) Would you stick with the 48" cutter & scraper or bump to the 60"?

Again, I don't plan to build a house, plant a field, plow parking lots, etc. I just want to maintain what I have effectively! Thanks in advance for any input.

- Justin

Last edited:

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I would think about this if it were me. My zero turn has a 52 inch deck and I mow 3.5 Acrea every week in about 2 hours time. I wish I had the 60 inch but that is another story. If I were looking to run a brush hog in your shoes I surely would want one bigger than my Zero Turn! I would go to the bigger size and run a 60 inch mower, blade, and brush hog in my opinion.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I think a BX would do you fine...either in 23 or 26 hp.

I'd go for the box blade...somewhere around 48-52". There's just no way the BX will handle a 60" brush hog. Too heavy and sticks out too far to manage in the woods. Stick with a 48" or get yourself a flail mower instead. Easier to maneuver and you could run it without the loader attached.

I think you'll want some skid plates for your tractor too if you're in the woods. BXpanded or Bro-tek. There's an ongoing thread on them right now. The Achilles heel on the BX machines is the hydro fan. They are magnets for sticks.

see this thread...http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42173

Best of luck in your decision...we can certainly help ya along the way.

Cerviperus

Jul 12, 2019
Oreana, IL
I think a BX would do you fine...either in 23 or 26 hp.

I'd go for the box blade...somewhere around 48-52". There's just no way the BX will handle a 60" brush hog. Too heavy and sticks out too far to manage in the woods. Stick with a 48" or get yourself a flail mower instead. Easier to maneuver and you could run it without the loader attached.
I hadn't considered a flail mower. I actually wouldn't be opposed to one of those at all. Anything larger than a small sapling, and it's going to get a chainsaw anyway. I think the assumption from these dealers is that I'm going to be making trails in rugged jungle. I currently mow my ATV trails with my Cub Cadet (which is also why I'm getting good at changing belts). Horsepower aside, another thing that gives me pause with the larger implements is simply having to be very aware of them being so much wider than the tractor itself.

I'm planning to visit one of the dealerships tomorrow, and I know he doesn't have a 23 in stock, but I'm going to have him get me a price on it for comparison. I still want to sit on one, and I know the 26 & 23 are identical otherwise.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
B series has more ground clearance if you are looking at going into the woods.

I cut grass last night that is really green and thick. I have 60" mmm the 26hp mowed like cutting butter. The 25 hp cub cadet I have would have needed to mow a week ago.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The price difference to a B2601 isn't that much. They're a better machine if you're in the woods, even if they're well maintained trails (I assume they are if you've been cutting them with the cub cadet). http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37655

For what you describe I would have thought the B2601 is the right size machine or you, more so than the BX. They lift a lot more on the 3ph, quite a bit more ground clearance, more traction I think due to bigger tires, 3 speed tranny gives quite a bit more speed in high, quite a bit more pull in low. But the BX will easily do all you describe, I don't think you'd be disappointed in buying it.

On the 2680 v's 2380, other than driving PTO implements (maybe the rotary cutter) the BX is traction limited - you won't really be able to pull a bigger blade or lift more. If there's not much difference in price I'd get the 26 just because it's more power - so if the guy with two on his lot is giving you a deal, I'd take it. But I wouldn't pay a lot more for a 26 unless you have a specific PTO need - running a chipper perhaps, or driving a rotary hoe.

On implement size, I always figure when you're doing a driveway you've gotta go down and then come back - you're not going to park the machine at the end of the driveway till next time, and usually you're putting a crown on anyway. So your implement needs to be half your driveway width plus a bit. 60 inch / 5 foot is a good size though, and there's definitely some truth that the implements one up from the smallest are quite a bit more rugged. Again, the B2601 would be better able to manage the 5 foot implements, a lot of BX sized gear is built more lightly because the machine can't lift as much.

I have a BX at the moment, and am moving to a B2601 soon, and I have a lot less land than you do. Of course, some of that isn't need, it's want, but if the pricing isn't a lot different I'd make the decision to take the bigger machine now.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I would consider a B01 with the woods and such.

I imagine theyd be priced similarly too.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK I will pop in here since I have a BX.
1 a BX 23xx series will handle everything you listed, I have a 60 inch deck on the beasty and Im cutting over 5 acres 300 foot long gravel driveway, for snow I have a 60 inch push blade. And a bud gave me a LP 60 inch rear blade.

2 Do not be worries like some have implied about it not being large enough to do what you have. Yes the BX has limited ground clearance compared to the B. That is remedied by a shield that covers the hydro fan and filter.

3 The mower deck,, dude when I moved in here the place was covered with wild roses grape vines, and multiflora roses, black berries,, bad JUJU for anything.
Sharp blades and going low and easy, that stuff is gone. The grass in the lower field is orchard grass wire grass and whatever kind of weeds that pop up,no problem. Around the house grass is somewhat more civiized and the same deck cuts it well, not putting green clean, but still clean.

4 I run through my small wood lot with the deck up and it cleans out everything in its path, I am not saying that it is unbreakable, but damn near bulletproof.

5 the PTO rating on the B and BX of the same HP rating is the same, so no worries there. And in all the time I have had the litle beasty I never needed a brush hog

The BX is a SUB COMPACT tractor it is a bit smaller to fit a homeowner niche and will anything you have planed, I also haul firewood with mine, just take your time and think about what you are doing. Fill your tires and a set of wheel weights your good to go, and the resale on a BX in most cases is higher then the B at least around here,,, if you can find one that is.
It is your money, so I would say go to your dealer and drive both around maybe he will bring one out and let you use it for a day to see if it will work for you. The BX is not a toy or just a lawn mowed it is a real tractor just a bit smaller

Cerviperus

Jul 12, 2019
Oreana, IL
OK I will pop in here since I have a BX.
1 a BX 23xx series will handle everything you listed, I have a 60 inch deck on the beasty and Im cutting over 5 acres 300 foot long gravel driveway, for snow I have a 60 inch push blade. And a bud gave me a LP 60 inch rear blade.

2 Do not be worries like some have implied about it not being large enough to do what you have. Yes the BX has limited ground clearance compared to the B. That is remedied by a shield that covers the hydro fan and filter.

3 The mower deck,, dude when I moved in here the place was covered with wild roses grape vines, and multiflora roses, black berries,, bad JUJU for anything.
Sharp blades and going low and easy, that stuff is gone. The grass in the lower field is orchard grass wire grass and whatever kind of weeds that pop up,no problem. Around the house grass is somewhat more civiized and the same deck cuts it well, not putting green clean, but still clean.

4 I run through my small wood lot with the deck up and it cleans out everything in its path, I am not saying that it is unbreakable, but damn near bulletproof.

5 the PTO rating on the B and BX of the same HP rating is the same, so no worries there. And in all the time I have had the litle beasty I never needed a brush hog

The BX is a SUB COMPACT tractor it is a bit smaller to fit a homeowner niche and will anything you have planed, I also haul firewood with mine, just take your time and think about what you are doing. Fill your tires and a set of wheel weights your good to go, and the resale on a BX in most cases is higher then the B at least around here,,, if you can find one that is.
It is your money, so I would say go to your dealer and drive both around maybe he will bring one out and let you use it for a day to see if it will work for you. The BX is not a toy or just a lawn mowed it is a real tractor just a bit smaller
Most helpful. Thank you, sir. That's what I was hoping to find, some real life experience with one.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I ended up getting a BX25D because it was a smaller unit. I have
1 1/2 acres of just fairly flat lawn.( that need mowing) the rest of the woods stays in a natural state, except where I cleared 3 walking/ quad trails.
425’ gravel driveway plus 1200’ gravel feeder road that I land plane
1/2 mile of trails thru the heavy woods that I maintain.
The wife runs the 25 HP ride mower on down the trails once there maintained by the Kubota.
A smaller tractor is a little slower, but it also gets into more places, and closer than a bigger one. That’s why I prefer the BX.
A bigger tractor may do the road faster, but I couldn’t get it thru the trees here. That and $2. Will get you a cup of coffee

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
I have a bx23s and wish I had gone bigger. I didn’t think the FEL capacity would be an issue but it is. I am a first time tractor owner and am amazed at what you can do with these. So I’m always finding something else. I just purchased pallet forks wish I would have got a grapple. The thumb is something I thought I’d use but haven’t used it once.

I would go bigger than you think you need.

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
I bought my first tractor 2 years ago, a BX 2670 that sole purpose was to be for snow blowing my driveway. This machine is far more capable than I realized. I have bought several implements since to get more out of it.
LP GS1548 Grader scraper maintains my gravel driveway
subsoiler to help drain driveway
Carry All to carry all my yard tools around with me
Quick hitch to make changing implements easier
Added rear remotes and top-n-tilt to adjust implement angle.
FEL & Pirahna Toothbar to dig
AI2 Pallet Forks and quick attach (very useful)
LP 60in Rear Blade - mainly use for snow
Front Snowblower - use for snow

5:1 pulley system to pull stumps out my tractor can't by itself.
BXpanded skid plate to protect that pesky fan
Bro-Tek wheel spacers for stability ( I have a cab so felt tippy before adding these)

I think the B would have been a good choice as well but really not a necessary one, the BX has done everything I have asked of it and to be honest as a new tractor owner, probably better to stay on the smaller side while learning. I had the right rear wheel raise right up off the ground while pulling something backwards once, probably lucky I didn't tip it. also the BX can get into tighter places that a bigger tractor can not.

Capabilty wise I can tell you
I have had the subsoiler about 18in. into the ground
I've dug up and moved Very Large Rocks with the toothbar and FEL.
I can lift my grader scraper (500lbs) 54in x 50in - 3 1/2 feet off the ground wit pallet forks
Lifted a 4x6 wood shed (no idea on weight) about 6 - 7 inches off the ground and moved it a couple hundred feet with pallet forks.

as far as I know the only advantage you might see from a 26hp vs. 23hp is PTO HP, when I bought mine there was only about a 500 - 1000 difference in price so i went bigger.

Good luck with your choices.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I think that any "rough" area would be better served with a B series tractor....even a B2301.
And consider a FEL. You can do a lot with it and it will serve you well with fallen trees, moving objects that are just too heavy and some grading.
A box blade is fine but consider a rear blade for your driveway, It can also take care of snow.
The rotary cutter.....will you get the use out of it? You said 1/4 acre.
And as far as your lawn goes....2/3 acre can be easily cut with an inexpensive lawn tractor....and that may work for the clover as well.

I have 5 acres and I mow about 2.5 of it with a rear discharge 3 point mower.
I have a FEL to take care of clearing areas and moving dirt and heavy things.
A box blade is what I use for my driveway and often the gravel road in my subdivision. And I have a small Cub Cadet mower for trimming and some of the areas that the tractor just doesn't easily get into.
Give it some thought before you hand out $23K.
The dealer is there to spend your money. If you tell him you want it he will be glad to sell it to you whether you need it or not.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I run a BX2680 w/60” deck to mow 5 acres and keep the trails in the woods clean. Plenty of power to do everything asked of it. The FEL capacity is more than enough to do what I need to get done. If I could do it over again I would buy the same machine. Interestingly enough I went to the local dealer thinking B model and after talking with him left with the BX.

Cerviperus

Jul 12, 2019
Oreana, IL
Disregard my previous comments, said sale is on hold until I get some confusion cleared up between the dealer and me.

Last edited:

Cerviperus

Jul 12, 2019
Oreana, IL
OK. So here's where I'm at, and need some additional feedback.

Wife & I met with the dealer this weekend and tentatively agreed on the BX2680 with 60" mid-mount, and 60" rotary cutter. The larger rotary cutter (I initially inquired about the 48") was recommended by the dealer, who swore up and down the 26hp would run it without issue. That was the driving force behind going with the 26 over the 23... I really didn't care for the look of the LP 1248 cutter, and hey, if I can run a 60" why not?

Well the dealership contacted me earlier to say that the LP rep requests they drop down to a 48" cutter in place of the 60". I'm having him get their feedback on the RCR1548 in place of the 12-series.

So my question to you all now is, do you see any issues running the heavier duty cutter on the BX2380? I really don't have an issue with more horespower, but $1500-2000 for that little jump is a lot. Can we do it financially? Sure. Do I have to for my intended usage? I'm not so sure.

I like the salesman, and he's been very forthcoming (even when he's been in the wrong). I just feel like all of them I've talked to have instantly jumped to the 26hp with little to no exploration into my intended usage. Perhaps I underestimate...

Thanks again for any thoughts.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I thought 60 inch bush hog on a bx was pretty big my self, I got 60 inch on my L and it is about all it can take when cutting brush with it (I’ve probably abused it more then I should). But in regards to the 23 vs the 26, like others have said I don’t recall anyone on here saying I got too much power. I know it’s easy for us to sit here and spend others money but if the 26 is in the budget I would go with that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was thinking about the 60 inch brush hog, and while I dont see where you really need it cause the MMM will do everything you need,, that aside someplace in my age addled brain the 5 HP rule of thumb kept popping up. Some place and Lord help me I dont remember where, maybe it was in here, it was pointed out you should think like 5hp at the PTO per foot of implement.

SO with either the 23 or 26 hp tractor you are still going to work out to about 48 inches. Now the question, just because it fit, should it be used. In MHO the answer is no! Why well, and I know a lot of people think it fits it will work,, maybe yes maybe no, the point is this. The machine is designed for a maximum of torque to the PTO, will it turn a 60 inch sitting on the side walk it sure will,,,, Remember there is no load on the drive line, now hit high grass, branches and dirt mounds lots of stress and shock to the drive line that it was not designed to take. You might run it for years without a problem, then again you might run into problems if things go sideways and you want to get it fixed under warranty when it turns up you exceeded the max of the driveline. People use stuff bigger than what should be used every day , like I said just MHO

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok,

Seriously, you would not want a 60" rotary hanging off the back of any BX. They are too heavy and too long to fool with in the woods.

Check out a properly sized flail mower. You could do up to a 54" flail (I say this because you're not cutting waist high weeds). They are much shorter in length and lighter weight than a rotary cutter. You could likely handle a flail without the loader attached either. The best part is that they also cut grass, therefore, you could eliminate the MMM all together.

I have one and they are pretty slick. https://betstco.com/flail-mowers/