L295DT clutch wont disengage

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow
We bought a 70' L295DT last week. It all looked 'good but not too good', had meticulous records from the previous owners who sold it to a guy we bought it from (8 months ago) who said he used it maybe 6 hours. He thought he would use it more but didn't so he sold it. The guy we bought it from didn't know much about it (he had an old Ford he used often) but it looks good to our somewhat novice selves.

So, we get her home and run it, works awesome for about two hours (no heavy work, just trying to get a feel for it). Then, we greased everything (which I doubt had been greased in a while, but it sat a long while too). Changed the fluids (which were pretty dirty). Do a little digging work mostly just trying to get a handle on the controls. Works wonderfully for about 6 hours until I'm backing down the hill to head in for lunch. The clutch seemed to just stop working. No issues at all with it in the previous hours of work. It went from seemingly normal operation to totally not functioning.

Specifically, I slid it into reverse, let off the clutch and it eased into reverse like normal. About halfway released on the clutch it jolted me down the hill. Since then, I can't get the clutch to disengage so I can put it in gear or change gears.

What we have done, from googling troubleshooting:
•Blocking the clutch down - hope whatever is stuck, unsticks (we did that over the fourth for a few days)
•Stomp the clutch in and out.
•Turn the tractor off, put the PTO in gear, start it up and try to disengage the clutch.
•Turn it off, put the tractor in gear, stomp break and start it in gear, try to disengage the clutch...

We took off the clutch realease bearing side cover made sure to grease the bearing. We can see the clutch system which all seems to be working normally - from the outside view - but obviously it's not disengaging correctly.

What are we missing? Anyone have this issue or know of an idea about a fix?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Did you try driving it into a tree? Used to work for my Iseki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Did you try driving it into a tree? Used to work for my Iseki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worked for a big (120 pto) TO Massey I had years ago but it was a big tree....:D

I don't believe it's a frozen clutch however, I believe the release forks have broken and the only way to access them is split the tractor.

Moscow huh? Didn't know Kubota was sold in Russia.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hope you didn't pay too much for it. At current average shop rates, you'll be into a couple hundred just in labor, not parts unless you do it yourself, then it's just parts and your time.

You may get lucky and have it be something external like a broken linkage. You look over the linkage from the pedal to the bellhousing?

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow
Worked for a big (120 pto) TO Massey I had years ago but it was a big tree....:D

I don't believe it's a frozen clutch however, I believe the release forks have broken and the only way to access them is split the tractor.

It's Moscow, Idaho. Thanks for the input, well read up more on this. I think weve tried everything we can before the whole scary split the tractor thing... that's going to get expensive for sure, we dont even have a way to get the tractor to a shop, wed ha e to tow, so its expensive before we even get to the shop... :(

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Macy, welcome to the forum. If it comes to it, splitting a tractor is not major task if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. A few basic tools, some space, a little coaching and you can do it.

Now, if you don't like to mess with mechanical things there is a guy who lives up North of you that knows these tractors inside and out! He's busy building a house now, but you might approach him when he's got time, or trade him some labor. He goes by "North Idaho Wolfman" on this forum.

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow
Macy, welcome to the forum. If it comes to it, splitting a tractor is not major task if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. A few basic tools, some space, a little coaching and you can do it.

Now, if you don't like to mess with mechanical things there is a guy who lives up North of you that knows these tractors inside and out! He's busy building a house now, but you might approach him when he's got time, or trade him some labor. He goes by "North Idaho Wolfman" on this forum.
Thank you! And thank you for the encouragement. We are both pretty mechanically inclined BUT were actually trying to build a house too, we bought this to cut in a road to the top of our property to get started. At the moment its stalled out on the side of a hill and we have limited tools and no level place to roll to in order to split. It makes it even more daunting a task! :D

Well do what we have to. Ut it's very handy to know there is an expert nearby too! Thank you!

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow

I opened up the side panel to see if I could at least see the forks. Seems fine, I cant move them with my hand like something sheared off (there are benefits to small hands!). I poked my phone in there and managed to take a picture. It looked to be in working order. Both tines are fine and it seems to be attached at the top just like our diagram shows it should be... can I cross off the broken fork idea or are there different forks to be concerned about?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Clutch fork looks fine, from what you describing it sound like it either tossed the clutch disk or broke the pressure plate.

Set the brakes and block the wheels and you should be able to get it out of reverse and start it to get the implements off the ground then using a bigger truck tow it up or down the hill.

If you run into a roadblock getting it off the hill or fixed send me a message, a Sandpoint to Moscow road trip wouldn't be too bad. ;)

If your building a tiny house it shouldn't take you long to get it done! HEHEHE...

And you need 5 posts to add pictures on here, you should be able to now.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I think you need several posts before you can post a picture, something about preventing spam. Your problem is most likely a broken cushion spring. It has wedged itself in between the pressure plate and clutch. It will have to come out;; split the tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Clutch fork looks fine, from what you describing it sound like it either tossed the clutch disk or broke the pressure plate.

Set the brakes and block the wheels and you should be able to get it out of reverse and start it to get the implements off the ground then using a bigger truck tow it up or down the hill.

If you run into a roadblock getting it off the hill or fixed send me a message, a Sandpoint to Moscow road trip wouldn't be too bad. ;)

If your building a tiny house it shouldn't take you long to get it done! HEHEHE...

Sounds to me like Wolfman is about to get his hands dirty.....lol

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Macy, that grease fitting only requires one pump of a grease gun about once every 5 years! It only lubricates the throw out bearing holder. Too much and it gets all over the clutch surface...which is bad.

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow
Macy, that grease fitting only requires one pump of a grease gun about once every 5 years! It only lubricates the throw out bearing holder. Too much and it gets all over the clutch surface...which is bad.
Now you tell me! :D I'm 7 pumps in!

I think were pretty committed to having to split the darn tractor. Unless something magic happens in the next couple weeks...

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow
I think you need several posts before you can post a picture, something about preventing spam. Your problem is most likely a broken cushion spring. It has wedged itself in between the pressure plate and clutch. It will have to come out;; split the tractor.
Let's test this picture thing:

Is the cushion spring the same thing as the return spring?

Macy

Equipment
L295DT
Jul 10, 2019
Moscow

I can't tell you how reassuring it is to just have someone nearby who knows what they are doing!

We can definitely get it down the hill - though now were debating it. Our plan was to get a road cut in, a well dug and then build a shop on the lower ground. Now it sounds like we need to split the baby (I mean tractor). So maybe we'll just let it sit on the hillside, build the shop, where well have a level and clean work area to then fix Daisy (I may have named our tractor Daisy...)

Everything we've researched sounds like you're right on point, we were just hoping it was easier than that!

The tiny house is already built but we are planning on moving it up (from Boise). James (my better half) was born in Sandpoint, we were just there for the 4th of July. After literally traveling the entire United States on a National park tour (we visited 45!) I can assure you, there is no prettier drive in the US than the one between Moscow and Sandpoint!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need a shop to split it, you can do it on a wood deck I've done it like that for years.

Some 2x4's or 2x6's and 3 sheets of 1/2 plywood or OSB makes a nice deck to work on it.
Put that somewhere that it's flat, take the tractor to a spot where you can remove the loader, then put the tractor on the deck, that gives you the ability to roll the front away from the rear when you split it.

It can be split in an easy day, and another to put it back together.

Here is mine split on a old barn beam deck.

Attachments