Operator's age the "Feel" of the tractor

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Folks... am I imagining something that is not there or is it a real thing? I have owned my tractor for 20 years. I have 2650 hours in the seat running MMM, FEL and a front snow hydraulic dozer blade.

At almost 70 yo and still in good health the "feel" from the seat of operating the units over the same ground for all those years is changing over time... or I think so. Work on very familiar slopes and bucket operations feels more "iffy" causing an over abundance of caution.

Any of you guys experiencing similar observations?

It is a real bummer getting old... however.... better than the alternative

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
Well, I know I am more cautious and less of a risk taker the older I get. I'm sure one can equate that with how you are feeling.

One could look at it this way as well, the older we get, the more close calls we have had, the more "experienced" and cautious we become.

But, I still don't like roller coasters...:p

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Unfortunately as we age the body changes. The older you are the greater the possibility of inner ear issues which affect the balance, joints aren't as nimble as they once were, hands not as steady as when we were younger, and medication can create issues.

Adding this all up can change the 'feel' of many things, including the operation of your tractor.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm half your age but have more hours of seat time in Kubota tractors as you. What I'm saying is I've noticed as a tractor ages, the feel of *it* also changes. It may still run good and do everything OK, but maybe not as smooth and crisply and tight as it once did. Kind of like a human being, I guess.

So you may be noticing "you" and/or your aging tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well, I know I am more cautious and less of a risk taker the older I get. I'm sure one can equate that with how you are feeling.

One could look at it this way as well, the older we get, the more close calls we have had, the more "experienced" and cautious we become.

.:p
This!. I feel the same way at 53. I'm actually having a crew come in and take trees down for me...20 years ago that thought wouldn't have crossed my mind.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been farming for 20 years and I still have all my fingers. How's that.?

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
These are all good responses... I think it is more me, my age, judgement and preservation by not challenging the odds. This B2410 is consummately maintained from day one. I do not wait for something to wear, fail and replace.... this is why I am leaning towards it is the "me factor".

I think I am going with the concept.... Just getting wiser as I get older.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I'm 66+ so I feel your pain Butch. At this point I know what 15 degrees looks like, BUT - I still respect the "PUCKER FACTOR" when using my tractor and there is NOTHING UNMANLY about respecting yourself, or your machine.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm 66+ so I feel your pain Butch. At this point I know what 15 degrees looks like, BUT - I still respect the "PUCKER FACTOR" when using my tractor and there is NOTHING UNMANLY about respecting yourself, or your machine.
if I was 66 again, I'd be a well, I cannot post it but you already know....

I think the only issue I have is when my tractors get in a leaning situation. I don't like sidehilling at all. I sit up pretty high in the M's and that amplifies the lean plus I run my wheel spacing inward all the way. I have to because if the wheels are out, I track in my hay windrows.

Couple years ago I ran through a gopher hole and I thought the tractor was going arse over teakettle. That gave me a huge puckered butt hole.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Re: Operator's age the "Feel" of the tractor

This!. I feel the same way at 53. I'm actually having a crew come in and take trees down for me...20 years ago that thought wouldn't have crossed my mind.
Like all the others, deed is right.

While he's doing other excavator work, I'm going to see if my contractor can shove a maple tree over near the house.

I would have never thought to do that before, but pushing 60 changes one's perspective.

We're all getting older... Better than the alternative....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: