Headphones

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
The real recommendation is not. The theory being that you turn the music up to cover the noise, thereby negating the benefits of wearing hearing protection.
That said, I had a set of Peltor ones for years. I practically lived in them and I never had to turn them up loud, and you can still hear if the machine makes a funny sound

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
I use the Bose Quite Control 30 wireless sound cancelation earphones on my open cab 35 hp, riding lawnmowers, and construction job sites. Really like them. Still easy to communicate with others if needed. Ease to mute the music if needed. Phone calls work well.

My previous pair had a wire that you plugged into the phone. Worked great. Occasionally annoyed as the wire caught on something. Much prefer the Bluetooth setup.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
From an old safety guy,, NO head phones !,,
Reason 1 being as stated they are turned up to negate the noise of the tractor, and thus hearing damage.
Reason 2 while wearing normal hearing protection the outside sound is not eliminated ( as would be in head phones with WIFI or bluetooth) it is however medagated to an acceptable level to prevent hearing damage. What this means is that while the noise is reduced you can still hear things that may be a danger to you or those around you as well as to your equipment.

I could go on but I know there are some in here that think I overreact to things safety wise, you do what you think is best. Just remember the tunes aint worth getting hurt over

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting. I wear a pair of 'Worktunes' when running the zero turn lawnmower but I never play the radio in the M9 when I'm working in a field. Only time I might have the stereo on is when I'm roading between fields.

I want to listen to the machinery running and be aware of any odd sound, especially when cutting hay or round baling. Lots of mechanical stuff going on that needs constant attention. When round bailing with the computer driven baler, I need to watch the computer screen constantly to fill the bale chamber evenly and the full bale and wrap alarms are audible and visual but I'm more attentive to the audible alarm not the icons on the computer screen.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I also use (and recommend) the 3M Worktunes. These are designed primarily as hearing protection and secondarily as entertainment while you work. They offer both an AM/FM radio only model and another model with both the radio and a bluetooth connection. I have the bluetooth version.

They offer very satisfactory hearing protection. I run a flail mower or brush hog behind an open-station tractor for hours on end. Hearing protection is needed. You can still hear the engine and mower enough to detect problems.

The bluetooth connects quickly and easily to a phone; I keep a hundred songs or so on my iPhone and just listen to my playlist. The volume doesn't go quite as loud as I'd like, and this is by design. Furthermore, the longer you listen in one continuous setting, the lower the volume gets...it gradually decreases to make sure you don't get "x" number of decibels over a period of time. That part is kind of annoying, but for your own good.

The unit is comfortable, takes 2 AA batteries which last a long time, and only costs about $80. I also use it on my zero turn. If someone calls your phone while bluetooth is connected, the music automatically stops which is a hint someone is calling.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
My daughter got me a pair of ear muffs for Christmas a few years back, from Canadian tire. I think they are Stanley. They have am/fm plus a 1/8" jack for mp3. I don't turn them up too loud so I can easily hear the tractor for noises. I'm amazed at how crisp and clean they are for a budget set. Regular price is usually around $80 but on sale often for $40 bucks.

They come in very handy while running the backhoe, chipper, weed whacker, chainsaw, splitter...... The list goes on! If they ever stop working, I wouldn't hesitate to run out to get a new pair.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I've been thinking about buying some myself. Now i'm having second thoughts. Hummm

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
My experience may be a bit different from that of other folks. You see, coming from an aviation background, one is always wearing hearing protection. The modern trend is to stream audio to headphones while in flight.

Personally, I don't stream any audio to my headphones. Can't stand the risk level associated with maybe not hearing a minute change in mechanical noises.

Fast forward to the tractors. I run with the best earmuffs I can get - David Clark units, and I wear earplugs inside them. I can still hear the mechanical noises I need to hear, and at 54 I still have perfect hearing because I've gone to these extremes to protect it.

A wise man once told me that people who turn the radio up loud when working on power equipment are the people who don't have to either fix or pay to fix that equipment. Meanwhile, the guy who has to fix the stuff wants to hear what happens before it breaks, so he's the guy who doesn't have the tunes blaring away.

I like that philosophy...

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Might be different in aviation, but regarding mowing with a tractor...I don't think I need to be on my toes for 5 hours expecting to hear something funny. I'd much prefer to listen to some great music. I can still hear if something major goes amiss, my dashboard will warn me of any critical failures, and with all four wheels on the ground and little to go wrong...I'll take my chances

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Also from aviation, I think you should use good ear protection to save your ears. Turning up the sound is not the answer. Great protection does not mean expensive. I used wired headphones with AM/FM for years. Then, I found these 3M wifi headphones...

https://amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Pro...fi+headphones&qid=1562872507&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I went back and bought four more pairs. (Home Depot has 'em at Christmas for $26!) I use them in my shop when running tools. I wear them on my tractor. I wear them running my blower or chainsaw. They have a high db rating so you do not have to turn up the tunes/talk radio. Doing so only damages your hearing! I can hear my machine and I can hear people near by, if my tractor is not wailing.

These headsets pair well with Droid phones and the internal battery lasts about eight hours. Comes with a charging wire for USB charging. Well made. Only one button operation (ON-OFF). Volume controlled by your phone. Very good sound quality.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yep, I have the 3M Workstunes like you listed except with AM/FM/Aux/Bluetooth. These have a volume control, a jog dial, and a couple of buttons...all easily felt and positions memorized. It allows you to change tracks forward or back, even FF/RW, change volume, and change mode all without taking your phone out. Works great with Android and Apple, I use it with my iPhone. About $80 for mine, and they don't let you play music too loud.

wwiifan

Equipment
2017 BX23S
Jul 13, 2017
Salina, Kansas
Well....thanks to you guys...I just bought a new pair of Bose QC 35 II in black from Target. About $350.00 but OMG...!!! They are amazing to say the least.:D

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I bet those are nice. I just couldn't stomach all the abuse they'd be subject to for such an expensive set. Mine get sweat on them, occasionally get rained on, are in the hot sun (on my head), and get stored in my job trailer.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks for the heads up Ray, I've been planning to get a set for a while now and since we had to go out anyway I pick up a set and they're charging right now.

Also from aviation, I think you should use good ear protection to save your ears. Turning up the sound is not the answer. Great protection does not mean expensive. I used wired headphones with AM/FM for years. Then, I found these 3M wifi headphones...

https://amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Pro...fi+headphones&qid=1562872507&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I went back and bought four more pairs. (Home Depot has 'em at Christmas for $26!) I use them in my shop when running tools. I wear them on my tractor. I wear them running my blower or chainsaw. They have a high db rating so you do not have to turn up the tunes/talk radio. Doing so only damages your hearing! I can hear my machine and I can hear people near by, if my tractor is not wailing.

These headsets pair well with Droid phones and the internal battery lasts about eight hours. Comes with a charging wire for USB charging. Well made. Only one button operation (ON-OFF). Volume controlled by your phone. Very good sound quality.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
For "Techno Cavemen" like me, I took my first set back because I couldn't get them paired. It was all my fault.

The instructions identify a special button push (two quicks while it's ON?) to get the headphones in the "bind" mode so your phone will pick 'em up. It only had ONE BUTTON ON IT and I couldn't figger it out! Never was good with buttons. :)

I love the dang things. The sound quality is amazing for the $$. Give us your opinion...

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
For "Techno Cavemen" like me, I took my first set back because I couldn't get them paired. It was all my fault.

The instructions identify a special button push (two quicks while it's ON?) to get the headphones in the "bind" mode so your phone will pick 'em up. It only had ONE BUTTON ON IT and I couldn't figger it out! Never was good with buttons. :)

I love the dang things. The sound quality is amazing for the $$. Give us your opinion...
These are just what I was looking for. If your looking for loud they're not for you however if your running machinery these are perfect. Thanks again for the heads up. First tune I played sounds great.;):D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-su1lWUxIMY

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The cool thing about Bluetooth is, it's the best place to go when you are awaiting a phone call while working on your tractor, or doing something that is noisy: The music automatically interrupts and the phone ring is heard. Answer it on your phone and keep the headset on. The audio will still play through your headphones but the mic on your phone is hot. Just talk into there.

Now that you have Bluetooth, a handy thing to have is IHeart Radio. It's free (avoid the sign-up windows) an you can hear podcasts streaming live that auto-pause when you get a call and resume when you hang up. I highly recommend Dan Bongino's link that you enter in the iHeart search window. iHeart is a little wanky and it occasionally drops out but when it works good, it's awesome. Tip: Turn off wifi as iHeart tries to go there first and will pause for a minute or so when you go out of wifi range, then it downloads via your data plan and resumes. If you have a 4gb data plan, you can listen to streaming stuff fo four hours a day and never break your limit.