Filthy tractors versus clean ones

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I keep my equipment clean all the time. Every time I come out of the field, first thing I do is blow out the radiators and look everything over to see if there are any issues that might arise, the I fuel them.

Before I go out, I check the fluids and at least weekly check the air pressure in the tires.

I rarely wash my hay tools, just blow them off.

One thing I do do weekly is I wash down the tractors and clean the interiors. I don't like filth on anything, especially tractors that seem to accumulate filth, old grease and crud pretty quickly.

How often do you really wash yours. By really wash I don't mean the hood and fenders, I mean the underside as well as the topside to get the crud off. One thing I've found is, it's much easier working on something that is relatively clean versus something greasy and nasty...

Clean tractors run cooler too.:)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
How often do you really wash yours. By really wash I don't mean the hood and fenders, I mean the underside as well as the topside to get the crud off. One thing I've found is, it's much easier working on something that is relatively clean versus something greasy and nasty...

Clean tractors run cooler too.:)
Hi Flip,

You are to be commended!

My guess is that I probably really wash my tractors about once every twenty years. Just an guess as they are about 15 or 16 years old now....:D

garryr

Equipment
Bobcat S185, L48TLB, L3010HST, Ford 5000
Oct 11, 2016
South Texas
I pressure wash them when I have to work on them. I wash out the radiator and oil cooler fairly frequently due to the fact it gets very hot in South Texas. Other than that maybe every 2 or 3 years.

tmstractor

Equipment
MX5200HST ,6FT Til,,6ft Rake, 6ft BB, 6ft Flail Mow,PH Dig, Brush HOG,PForks
Aug 3, 2015
North Alabama
I'm just the same with keeping mine clean. It was one of the major factors that got me such a great trade in value

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
A good thick multi layer coating of field dust, chaff, and associated grit, when combined with leaking or spilled petroleum fluids provides an effective protective barrier from minor nicks and scratches as well as useful corrosion protection. This is in addition to the benefits of a Ultra Violet degradation inhibitor.

I forgo all these very useful benefits on one aspect only, The seat and steering wheel. I am willing to put up with a lot as long as I don't need to sit in it. ;-)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I like my tractors like I like my women a little dirty, but clean up nice when they need to! :D

Like taking them to town or trading them in on another model! :p

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Mine are fairly clean most of the time. They get washed more in Winter because of the road salt used here. I plow at our church and it's about 1-1/2 miles each way on the road. It gets washed every time I get back home.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
The Leaf Blower is one of my most used power tools. The Sthil Blower is used to clean off the dust & dirt, inside & out, especially the radiator screen and under the hood. Heavier mud and dirt are washed off regularly.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Mine stays out in the rain sometimes, does that count?

IMO, A clean tractor is like a clean Jeep. I really get a kick out of all the Jeeps I see running around with lifts, rims and oversized tires but cleaner underneath than mine is inside!! Then there are those really over the top with highlift jacks mojnted on their bumper and deep water snorkel air intakes. Really?!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine stays out in the rain sometimes, does that count?

IMO, A clean tractor is like a clean Jeep. I really get a kick out of all the Jeeps I see running around with lifts, rims and oversized tires but cleaner underneath than mine is inside!! Then there are those really over the top with highlift jacks mojnted on their bumper and deep water snorkel air intakes. Really?!
95% posers, but you already know that. Those posers probably don't know how to use a Hi-Lift jack anyway, let alone proper placement.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm not sure I've ever washed mine, except to work on specific areas. (FEL cylinders, front axle, backhoe)
But I have no grass or chaff to deal with, virtually no mud, almost no snow, no weather, (it stores indoors) only lots of dust, so the leaf blower & air hose are my friends.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've been doing trade evaluation lately at work. So, I get to watch & learn what trade values are on different equipment.

What I've seen....those who clean their equipment after use are getting MUCH better trade values. Those are also the same people who will fix a hose that lost it's tie point or wire harness that was pulled away. The equipment that never gets a cleaning? You know....the ones whose cabs are completely full of spit cups and cig butts and old bottles? Never seen a wipe down? All I'm gonna say is you can sure tell who takes care of their stuff.

I understand that sometimes there's not enough time for a wash/wipe. But there's always time, well usually, at some point. It might not be the same day but sometime in the next week there's that time when the owner's sitting on his backside in front of the TV griping about the democrats proposals, that time could be better utilized to go out & wash the tractor off.

I know (personally) guys who wash and WAX their tractors. Sounds funny doesn't it? Wax your tractor...LOL. But they're the ones who will get top dollar on trade or sale. Just recently one of my friends traded his L2900 (which looked brand new at 1560 hours) in on a L2501HST with FEL and 5' shredder, and after trade value he owed about $4800. That should give you a halfway idea.

My Massey has no value...model 1140 (with 1145 engine)...I got it rough, it is still rough, and will always be rough. But for $600 I am not complaining.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I'm one of the wash and wax guys, but I do not hesitate to get my machines working hard and dirty. Over the years I have found plenty of small problems while cleaning my tractors, which is part of my inspection maintenance.
My 400h L4060 looks better than new after 3 years, except for some dents in the hood caused by a large baby carriage falling on it. I was helping my father empty out the loft of a small barn with the loader, and the top of the stroller slid off the carriage and ended up on the hood. I have considered getting it fixed, but now that my Dad has recently passed, I think I'll leave the dents alone and smile every time I run the tractor! (He kept his tractor clean also).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wait,, I change oil, filter the fuel, change filters, grease all the grease points, blow out the radiator fluid and stuff,,, And now you want me to wash and wax it too,,, this is getting way out of hand :rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The cleanliness of a machine reflects the personality of the owner. One extreme is someone who never/seldom gets the tractor clean and then the other is one who is OCD about it, and puts others down because they don't meet their standards.

The one doing, or not doing, the cleaning is the owner, so the results are a reflection of that persons personality. The ones who do not clean/wash their machine is not concerned about trade in value, or they'd be doing something different.

It is interesting that one who is obsessive about cleaning their machine brings up the discussion. Never someone who does not clean their machine. Perhaps the obsessive one wants to find others with like habits? It's apparently very important to them, and they often come off with an elitist attitude.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The cleanliness of a machine reflects the personality of the owner. One extreme is someone who never/seldom gets the tractor clean and then the other is one who is OCD about it, and puts others down because they don't meet their standards.

The one doing, or not doing, the cleaning is the owner, so the results are a reflection of that persons personality. The ones who do not clean/wash their machine is not concerned about trade in value, or they'd be doing something different.

It is interesting that one who is obsessive about cleaning their machine brings up the discussion. Never someone who does not clean their machine. Perhaps the obsessive one wants to find others with like habits? It's apparently very important to them, and they often come off with an elitist attitude.
Not eltist at all. Just maintenance friendly.

I keep mine clean and radiators free from chaff because when doing hay, they would overheat pretty quickly. With the M''s changing the oil and filters causes it to run down the side of the engine, along the oil pan and that collects crud. Same thing on the axle pivot and outboard planetaries, excessive grease causes crud collection. Also have that issue out back when disconnecting hydraulic lines ti implements. Every disconnection cases some fluid to escape and it runs down over the case and collects chaff which in turn collects crud.

I don't care about trade in value at all, I plan on keeping mine until I cease farming. I do care about coming away from the units covered with crud when I service them which is often. I tend to at least grease them weekly. Grease is much cheaper than replacing bushings.

Same way with my cars and trucks. Open the hoods on any of my vehicles and you'll find a clean motor. Easier to service, no crud ti take in the house and have the wife bellyache. Just as clean underneath as in the engine compartment too. Maybe that is why they don't rust out here in Michigan, cleaning the underside keeps the dirt at bay and provides no safe harbor for corrosion.

I do use Fluid Film too.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Wait,, I change oil, filter the fuel, change filters, grease all the grease points, blow out the radiator fluid and stuff,,, And now you want me to wash and wax it too,,, this is getting way out of hand :rolleyes:
Have to say I've never waxed my tractors. Clean the cabs inside sure and the windows, but wax, never. Don't even wax the cars, that is what clear coat is for.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm one of the wash and wax guys, but I do not hesitate to get my machines working hard and dirty. Over the years I have found plenty of small problems while cleaning my tractors, which is part of my inspection maintenance.
My 400h L4060 looks better than new after 3 years, except for some dents in the hood caused by a large baby carriage falling on it. I was helping my father empty out the loft of a small barn with the loader, and the top of the stroller slid off the carriage and ended up on the hood. I have considered getting it fixed, but now that my Dad has recently passed, I think I'll leave the dents alone and smile every time I run the tractor! (He kept his tractor clean also).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have a dented hood on my open station M9 as well. The retail price for the upper hood (bonnet) is $750 bucks from Coleman. My hoods are 4 piece, the 2 sides, the top part and the grill.

I'm going to take the hood apart this winter and have the local body shop remove the dents and repaint it. Has to be cheaper than a new one.