BH77 backhoe on L2501 - with one operator in each seat

joeds

Equipment
L2501, BX25D, Grapple, Box Scraper, finish mower, bush hog, Grading Scraper
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
I understand it can be done but I've read there might be issues. I don't have the BH77 yet. But I'm wanting to be able to dig a trench and have my wife in the tractor seat to move the tractor forward in increments. IE I dig as much as possible, then have my wife reposition then dig etc. Is that workable or are their issues I'm not aware of.

Same idea on removing small tree stumps. I dig, then wife moves to another little tree.

Currently I have a BX25 and it requires turning the seat around. A real hassle when wanting to trench. Just wondering if the BH77/L2501 with 2 seats will make this easier.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
An idea given to me from another member on here for trenching was to use the boom to push the tractor along when you need to move it.

Can not answer your other question, currently waiting for my bh77 to arrive, but no way I could have my wife drive the tractor, my tractor is gear drive and she can’t drive it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"I'm wanting to be able to dig a trench and have my wife in the tractor seat to move the tractor forward in increments. IE I dig as much as possible, then have my wife reposition then dig etc. Is that workable or are their issues I'm not aware of."

Your competency level will be quickly discovered by your wife. If it's not up to her expectations her patience may be tested and displayed in area not preferred by you. Or if your highly competent on the machine, and her ability is too low to meet your expectations, you have another set of problems!!

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
HA! I get your points. But my wife and I at plus 47 of marriage +13 years as good friends (and still good friends) have finally learned to work as a team. Not necessarly a well oiled machine but we do have fun together still. She finally has me figured out warts and all:):):):):):)

Im just really curious if the idea is really practical. Short of me buying it and actually trying it just wondering if its dooable from someone who has tried it.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
If you are digging a trench you can just lift the stabilizers and push yourself ahead....not really a two person job. If you just want her close to you...that's great. I would be more concerned with a bad move on your part throwing her off the seat. Backhoes aren't the most stable machines in the world especially on a light tractor. Invest in a lawn chair with an umbrella and have her watch from a safe distance. The tractor / backhoe is a one operator machine.

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
If you are digging a trench you can just lift the stabilizers and push yourself ahead....not really a two person job. If you just want her close to you...that's great. I would be more concerned with a bad move on your part throwing her off the seat. Backhoes aren't the most stable machines in the world especially on a light tractor. Invest in a lawn chair with an umbrella and have her watch from a safe distance. The tractor / backhoe is a one operator machine.
Thanks for some good advice. Things can get pretty rough sometimes.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
+1. Remember to leave the tractor in neutral when digging the trench. Then as Missouri posted, just lift the bucket slightly, raise the stabilizers just a bit, and use the hoe to move you along. You'll find that the hoe can easily re-position the tractor to keep you digging in a straight line. Give it a try and you'll get it figured out quickly.

One word of caution...if you are trenching on a slope, remember that the tractor is in neutral, so the hoe becomes the propulsion mechanism and the BRAKE too!

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
OK. thanks for the tip and safety advice.

I thank all of you guys helping me as well.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I don't know about the L2501 specifically, but for my 2650 the BH77 did not come with it's own seat. It came with a replacement subframe for the tractor seat to allow it to spin around. Only the cabbed tractor version of the BH77 came with it's own seat. I was told that getting the seat for the backhoe wasn't an option anymore, only comes with the cabbed version subframe. I ended up buying a used seat and installing it on the backhoe because I did not want the turn around seat installed on mine.

Either way, it's still pretty much a one person job. By the time you tell her where/how to re position for the next dig, you could have done it yourself.

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
Freeheeler,
Interesting. Ill have to check with my dealer on this. Thanks for the input

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I just ordered on for my L series and it had the extra seat for the back hoe,they also showed me the hoe on a brand new L3901 they were delivering and it had the extra seat too.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Sounds like good news. My dealer told me it was no longer an option, but sounds like it still is for the L series, just not the bigger B, maybe because of the cab option. Either way you go, make sure you get the right length stick controls. Mine came with both sets but I had to ask for them.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The second seat for the BH77 is used on all L'01 series and the cabbed version of the B2650. Only the ROPS version of the B2650 series uses a flip seat mounted on the tractor.

Regarding the hoe sticks...the short straight sticks are for the BH77 with attached seat (L'01 and B2650 cabbed). The long bent sticks are for the ROPS B2650.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know this thread is a week old, but on my L2501, I'm pretty sure only one seat can be upright at one time. The other has to be folded to allow the other to be upright since they are positioned so close.

I see some saying the tractor can be left in neutral and the backhoe can push the tractor to reposition. I have also seen others using the cruise control to reposition the tractor from the backhoe seat. I had the cruise control installed on my tractor as it is not standard on the L2501.

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
I know this thread is a week old, but on my L2501, I'm pretty sure only one seat can be upright at one time. The other has to be folded to allow the other to be upright since they are positioned so close.

I see some saying the tractor can be left in neutral and the backhoe can push the tractor to reposition. I have also seen others using the cruise control to reposition the tractor from the backhoe seat. I had the cruise control installed on my tractor as it is not standard on the L2501.
Nicfin, I sat on one at the dealer and the seats are very close but both can be used at the same time but you would be bumping heads if not careful.

Ref cruise control. How does that work. I have it on my BX25 but I've only used it to maintain a speed on long stretches on the highway or grass cutting.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'll have to check my seats. I was not 100% sure, but it seemed only one could be upright at a time. I know they are close.

The cruise control on my tractor is just a lever near the fender that, as far as I can tell, allows the HST pedal to be depressed when the lever is pushed forward. So, you can pretty much use it to creep forward as if you were using the actual pedal and then you can pull back on it, which brings the HST pedal back to the neutral pisition.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I have the L2501 with Ansung BK976 backhoe. Both seats can be down at same time...backs rub a little but no problem.
When digging a ditch on fairly level ground, I can shove the tractor easily with the backhoe...never get out of backhoe seat. Just reach forward to bucket control to shove the blade of bucket down to get a grip. Set the outriggers and go to digging. Works like a charm
Just got thru digging a ditch in record time.
Good luck
Pete
PS: Gear Tractor

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I just checked mine. I pushed the driver's seat as far forward as I could. Both seats still hit each other in the upright position.