Recommendations for Push Mower

whec33

Equipment
BX23s
Apr 9, 2018
Raymond NH
Any recommendations for a self-propelled push mower? Mowing about 1/2 acre of lawn - want to be able to mulch & bag.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Consider the battery powered ones. I got an EGO, non self propelled, last year for parts of my property that can't conveniently be mowed with any of the tractors, and it is highly satisfactory. Cuts nice, has a bagger that I don't use, and is easy to push. Quiet and battery recharges fast.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
3 or 4 sheep will take care of it,, dont have to worry about bagging, mulching , or disposal,, and the yard gets a fertilizer boost too :D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes the sheep will take care of it all right, along with any flowers and toxic and non toxic plantings you might have :D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
We have a Honda self propelled push mower for trimming the areas to narrow to get the tractor down. It’s more expensive than cheap brands but it always starts on the first or second pull. Runs great and is fairly quiet.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
We have a Honda self propelled push mower for trimming the areas to narrow to get the tractor down. It’s more expensive than cheap brands but it always starts on the first or second pull. Runs great and is fairly quiet.
i will second on the Honda. I have had mine for 5 years and it has never taken more than 1 pull to start. It cuts nice and it's pretty quiet.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If i had a small property, i would look at the battery powered mowers. Mom mentioned that she saw a roomba style lawn mower running around a property in the town she lived in. That would be the cats a@@ to sit out on the deck with a cold one and watch the mower take care of the yard for ya :D:D

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I have had 2 toro pace maker pushmowers and they are easy to start, one handed to push, and have been very reliable. They can be purchased almost at any hardware store. They keep up with your pace whether fast or slow. Highly recommend it.

whec33

Equipment
BX23s
Apr 9, 2018
Raymond NH
Thanks for the recommendations - In regards to the battery operated mowers I have a really thick new lawn thanks to my BX23S and I don't think the battery operated mowers would be able to handle it. So I'm looking at gas powered for now.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Not to dissuade whec from his preference for a gas powered mower, but what happens with mine when it hits heavy thick tall grass is it seems to automatically power up the rpm to cut it. But this power up does seem to make the battery run down faster. So for anyone considering this for a thick lawn that they don't mow often, a second battery would be a worthwhile investment. Otherwise it is a surprisingly useful little mower. A great accessory for steep barn banks and other places not conveniently accessed with the B2650 or the Ingersoll.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
What about a deck for the BX?
Cutting 1/2 acre with a walk-behind is gonna get pretty dull pretty quick

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Better still, a 3pth-mounted mower that mounts/dismounts quickly, then a small push mower to cut the places inaccessible to the tractor.

I have MMM's on two of my B-series tractors. They do a fantastic job of cutting, but are true PITA to mount/dismount. So much so that I mount them in the spring and take them off in the fall, and live with the reduced ground clearance all summer long.

Still, once you've mowed with diesel power/hydrostatic drive/power steering you won't want to give it up!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Check your local Craig's List adds under "farm and garden", looking for a Kubota TG1860. They came in gas engine, 17 HP Kawaski water cooled, and Kubota diesel. They will be about 18-20 years old, but for a mower they will last nearly for ever. Either one would be fine, but I'd MUCH rather have the diesel one. They are HST with power steering. Have a 54" deck and can trim around a 12" tree like a zero turn. Pretty much eliminates the need for a push mower.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
IF you can find a nice used JD JX75, grab it up. Best walk-behind mower ever made. I found one the other day on CL for $50, looked brand new, VERY low hours, with all maintenance records from the day they bought it in 1999.

JX75 and 14SB are mostly the same with the JX75 being the "newer" (green deck) version. Little more horsepower, not that it needs it. The 14SC is the commercial version that has a liner under the deck and metal wheels instead of plastic. JX85 is the same but green & more power. They are self-propelled hence the S after 14. The "B" designates blade-brake clutch. "C" designates commercial duty. There was a 14PB (push with blade clutch), a 12PB (same but with a little 2 cycle engine) and a bunch of others including some briggs & scrapiron powered ones which I ain't a fan of. Most were Kawasaki powered and those are the ones you want.

It's a shame JD quit making them. Great mowers but they were expensive. The last JX75 I sold in 2003 was over $1000 new with the 85's being a little more yet. 2003 was the last full year I sold JD stuff and we sold 233 JX75's that year. The next year we had 8 left over and sold those off quickly, then dumped deere altogether in March.

whec33

Equipment
BX23s
Apr 9, 2018
Raymond NH
Thanks again for the recommendations - For those suggesting a ride on I'm fighting the battle of the bulge and need my exercise. I ended up with a Husqvarana 21 inch AWD push mower, mostly because that was in stock at the local Lowes and I needed to get the damn grass cut. I've lived at this house for over 30 years and have had 2 mowers (both used) - this new one better last just as long.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I admire you for addressing the "problem" by buying equipment that requires movement to solve it! Many in our society choose to ignore their health, for many reasons.

That is one reason I do not use a quick hitch. It forces me to get up and down off the tractor, use my hands and fingers. I do a lot of physical things just for the exercise, but I do ride around on my Ranger more lately!

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I see you already made your choice, but I would "third" the Honda push mower. I have a 2006 Honda 217VKA self-propelled 21" mower I bought new for $600-700. It has a 6.5HP Honda overhead cam engine, and compared to other brands seems to be a tad quieter and more fuel efficient. I will say this engine is not a Honda "GX" engine which is commercial rated and cream of the crop, but rather a "GC" engine which is a consumer engine and not quite as nice or long-lived. I've used mine extensively. It starts easily, I've never had the carb off or cleaned ever. I leave gas in it every year. The self-propel is variable speed, rear-drive, via paddles on the handle which you operate with your thumbs. Very easy and comfortable.

Part of the excessive cost is that the deck is made of a composite material (plastic) called Nexite. It never rusts, is extremely durable, and scratches don't show because there is no paint. The entire plastic is the gray color. Honda demonstrated it's strength by parking a Honda Pilot SUV on top of the deck.

The wheels are also all 9" tall with ball bearings in them for smooth rolling.

Bagger is standard, with the option to mulch or discharge. Discharge is out the rear, there is no side outlet. Discharged grass does not hit you. There is this lever Honda calls the "Clip Director" which you just slight left to right...one side is bag/discharge, the other side is mulch. You can have any variation of bagging / mulching or mulching / discharging at the same time which is cool too. However, the Clip Director mechanism often gets clogged up underneath (I never clean my deck since it won't rust) and doesn't work that well sometimes. I leave mine on mulch.

Finally, the blades...there are actually two blades, stacked on top of each other, slightly offset. This is for a nicer cut and finer mulching or bag clippings.

It's been a great mower and I'd recommend it. Honda actually goes a step further and you can option for battery electric start and hydrostatic drive with cruise control, but the price goes even higher. Alternately, you can buy a steel deck Honda mower with a slightly smaller engine for around $400 that has less features but is still a great machine.

I own a side landscaping business, so I'm kind of a geek on mowers.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm not much into battery powered anything except cordless tools. Battery powered mowers are expensive for one, the batteries poop out after a period of time and have to be replaced at a high cost and the grid is already taxed so why add to it.

I have a Cub Cadet self propelled push mower for the tight spots. One pull start you can get them with electric start if you are a real woosey and they are not that expensive compared to say a Honda.

Not that I have anything against Honda power products, just the price of admission.

besides, gas is not that expensive and my other 2 zero turns are gas powered so just a matter of filling the gas tank once in a while.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks again for the recommendations - For those suggesting a ride on I'm fighting the battle of the bulge and need my exercise.
If you're looking for exercise this is wayyy better than a AWD gas mower!

One summer running this and you'll be in great shape...or Pushing up daisies. :p :D

Attachments