Considering L175 with loader

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
My wife is considering buying me a old L175, with a recently re-built loader, for around $3000 to keep me from buying a L2501 The tractor and loader both look to be in good shape and had a lot of work on them. The current owner said he just needed something smaller and more nimble, and got a new BX of some sort.

Are we insane for considering a 50 year old tractor? And a front end loader on a 2WD tractor? And what about the mix of a FEL with manual steering?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like she's onto a winner. :)

People used 2WD tractors with FELs and manual steering for decades. They work, it depends whether you mainly need it for occasional jobs, or whether you're worried about productivity and ease of use. An L2501 would obviously be much better, but also much more expensive.

On the FEL and steering - older FELs lift less, even so you need strong arms to turn the wheels when there's load on the loader. But like any vehicle, you learn to turn the wheels once you're already moving, and you get used to it.

On the age, it won't be a new tractor so things will break. But if you don't have things you do that have to be done today, so if it breaks you fix it then do the job, then that's fine. Probably more importantly, you need to like fixing and tinkering, otherwise it will probably frustrate you.

I will say that I suspect an L2501 would make you happy every day you drive it. Depending on your personality and what gives you enjoyment, an L175 may or may not.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll add, my father has an old TEA Fergie (1950s tractor), as well as a much newer M7950 (20 years old). He loves driving the Fergie, it makes him happy. He's got it all painted up nicely, did an engine recondition. It's finicky to drive, the brakes hardly work. I drove it one time and I was stopped at a gate pulling a trailer, put it in gear to go through the gate, turns out it wasn't in gear and we started running backward down the hill. I was right out of the seat stomping on the brakes and pulling up on the steering wheel to get leverage, and starting to think about jumping off and abandoning it. It's not a new machine and doesn't work like one. But he enjoys it.

My brother in law uses his tractor to earn a living. When he gets on it to do a paid job, it needs to work. If it breaks, that's a day he's not earning money. He also has a TEA that he drives on the weekend.

They're very different situations.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The L175 is a good little tractor. If it is a L175DT (4WD) with a Kubota FEL and is in overall good shape it is worth the money. They are fairly simple machines so if you are somewhat handy you can handle 95% of the potential issues.

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
The L175 is a good little tractor. If it is a L175DT (4WD) with a Kubota FEL and is in overall good shape it is worth the money. They are fairly simple machines so if you are somewhat handy you can handle 95% of the potential issues.
It is not a DT but just a typical L175. It also does not have a differential lock, making me fear to use it on half of our property as it can be damp at times. We have pretty much decided to not get it. Plan to save up and get a brand new B2601, B2650 or L2501 next year.

While I am handy, the last thing is another thing needing my time. My task list, managed in Trello, for the farmstead only seems to grow and I do not need a tractor which may become a huge time sink.

Some photos of it. In central VA if you are interested I can pass you info on.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
FYI: They never made a L175DT model only F's. ;)
The grey L1500 had a DT model

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is not a DT but just a typical L175. It also does not have a differential lock, making me fear to use it on half of our property as it can be damp at times. We have pretty much decided to not get it.
Really wise choice to pass on that one!
There are some things with it, that to me are not acceptable!

Last edited:

alfamia

Equipment
R520, L185 (sold), B7200 (sold), and an Economy!
Oct 3, 2017
Norfolk, CT
I just sold mine after 25 years of faithful, pretty much trouble free service. I can't say enough good about that little machine. You would never know it was not 4WD.
I miss her already!