What made you happy you got the backhoe today?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Wife wants to have some electrical run around the yard for outlets and lighting etc. Looks like some more trenching in my future - my BH will make that easy. She's gotten used to having the equipment and operator on hand!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Was stumped for a minute. Where the tree was cut was about 3 1/2-4 foot across,base that I dug out was about 8 foot, the L need a little extra horsepower to get it out the hole tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Was stumped for a minute. Where the tree was cut was about 3 1/2-4 foot across,base that I dug out was about 8 foot, the L need a little extra horsepower to get it out the hole tho

Dang! That stump makes your L look tiny!

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I dont regret getting the back-hoe with my tractor. It paid for itself the first year i bought it. Nothing but free labor going forward now.

If i had paid to get everything that i needed done by a contractor, when i can surely do it myself... $$$$$ saved! And i still have a TLB when i`m done with every project/job.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
It's been a month ago now, my well cover is too heavy for me to scoot in and out by myself any longer. It's made of some kind of plastic siding stuff with a little wood framing. So I used the backhoe to lift it and put it in place. Once in place, I used it to push it in a little to meet the shed.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Backhoe makes a hell of a useful counterweight also.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Ive planted 13 Norway Spruces, 2 Locust and 25 Thujas. 100 feet of drainage trench. 2 retaining walls. Dug up my septic tank for a pumpout. Above ground pool.

Ballast for snowplowing, loader work and pulling a 350 sbc.

My 10 year old Son runs it better than me...lol

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
the back hoe on the BX has been my go to tool for the last six years, between it and the FEL they are about 50/50 do all.:)

Jmfc606

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 23, 2019
Jeffersonville,NY,USA
Today? Well yesterday I was plowing snow and wound up buried in a ditch at the end of my driveway. A couple of guys stopped when they saw me trying to unstick myself. after about 10 minutes "we" but mostly "they" got the tractor back in the driveway using the backhoe. I'm in my 50's but the older gentleman said to me "son you are rarely stuck when you have a backhoe". I was really buried too. I had all but given up and was about to start walking back to the house to get my truck and a chain. As far as other things that I've done they are too numerous to list; from a septic system to digging drains, etc. I wouldn't be without one and I only own a B603.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Today? Well yesterday I was plowing snow and wound up buried in a ditch at the end of my driveway. A couple of guys stopped when they saw me trying to unstick myself. after about 10 minutes "we" but mostly "they" got the tractor back in the driveway using the backhoe. I'm in my 50's but the older gentleman said to me "son you are rarely stuck when you have a backhoe". I was really buried too. I had all but given up and was about to start walking back to the house to get my truck and a chain. As far as other things that I've done they are too numerous to list; from a septic system to digging drains, etc. I wouldn't be without one and I only own a B603.

Very true about the backhoe getting you out of trouble! Got me out of a pretty good bind recently... I had the tractor in neutral (with the FEL bucket down) while trenching for a french drain so that I could just reach behind me, lift the FEL bucket, and push myself backwards with the hoe to avoid spinning the seat around. Well... didn’t account for the slope and ended up rolling backwards into this pretty good “hole” our skid steer/groundwork contractor had left behind (basically a 4’ deep x 5’ circumference hole). BH was the only way I got out of that one. Scariest thing I’ve had happen on the tractor so far when I started rolling backwards (well, forwards, but I was sitting backwards). I’m decent on the controls and should have just slammed the BH bucket into the ground but my brain just completely froze. Thought for sure my underwear would need replacing!

I was too embarrassed to take pics!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My first Kubota was a B7100 with BH and I used it a lot but it was never taken off the tractor. After getting a bigger tractor I found myself avoiding jobs because I didn't want to put the backhoe on just to have to take it right back off.

If I had a tractor I could just leave it on I might be a little happier but the best thing I did was sell the backhoe and buy a trackhoe.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
My first Kubota was a B7100 with BH and I used it a lot but it was never taken off the tractor. After getting a bigger tractor I found myself avoiding jobs because I didn't want to put the backhoe on just to have to take it right back off.

If I had a tractor I could just leave it on I might be a little happier but the best thing I did was sell the backhoe and buy a trackhoe.

The BX system is not that bad. I can do it pretty quickly unless I let it sit too long and it droops. I’ll be unpacking and assembling my BXPanded dolly this weenie dog, which I hope will help tremendously.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Before I built the dolly for the backhoe I felt the same way, but the dolly really makes it a lot easier to put it on and take it off.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I never use my backhoe during winter, at least so far, after 15 years.

What makes me happy is looking down at my shed and knowing it is there when I need it.

Today, tomorrow and yesterday, same story! :)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The BX system is not that bad. I can do it pretty quickly unless I let it sit too long and it droops. I’ll be unpacking and assembling my BXPanded dolly this weenie dog, which I hope will help tremendously.

I think if I had a BX I would have been happier with a backhoe just because of the size. Tractor is to small for most of what I use my L for so leaving the backhoe on wouldn't be a big deal.

Before I built the dolly for the backhoe I felt the same way, but the dolly really makes it a lot easier to put it on and take it off.
The problem for me wasn't how difficult it was it was simply the time. Just say I had a 20 minute job for the hoe but in all it would take a hour to put it on and take it back off. Now factor in I stored the hoe on the other side of my farm so I would either have to drive or haul the tractor there which made it seem worse than it was I guess. Leaving it on just wasn't a option because I use my L for so much other stuff.

It's just so much easier and efficient to have a trackhoe. Other than travel time it digs so much faster than a backhoe. Plus when I need to move dirt I can have my tractor free to do that. In my case it's better to have 2 machines.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
Not today, but one really great use I've found for my BH is removal of blackberry bushes. Grab a bucketfull of vines and rip em out of the way, then scoop out the base and roots, move them into a pile. Lather, rinse repeat. Smash them down, roll them into a ball, smash it down. Time consuming, but effective and damned gratifying. Hell of a lot quicker than loppers and gloves. Only improvement would be when I finally get my grapple so I can move the piles after ripping them out so I don't have to chain the pile to my bucket anymore... Didn't think to take a before picture, but here's the result:

Irritating. Sorry, can't seem to figure out how to rotate that last one...

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not today, but one really great use I've found for my BH is removal of blackberry bushes. Grab a bucketfull of vines and rip em out of the way, then scoop out the base and roots, move them into a pile. Lather, rinse repeat. Smash them down, roll them into a ball, smash it down. Time consuming, but effective and damned gratifying. Hell of a lot quicker than loppers and gloves. Only improvement would be when I finally get my grapple so I can move the piles after ripping them out so I don't have to chain the pile to my bucket anymore... Didn't think to take a before picture, but here's the result:

Irritating. Sorry, can't seem to figure out how to rotate that last one...
You sure look tired after all that!!! (2nd pic);)