Hello & L4760- Got starting issues

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Fireman, I'd ask the dealer where you have your tractor what the cost is to have him program the ECU if you have your serviced. Don't need to tell him you're purchasing a different one, you just need to know if he's willing to program a ECU for your tractor.

With his answer either purchase the one on ebay and have him install and program, OR take your tractor to a different dealer who will program the ECU after you install it. But I'd be buying the one listed, one way or the other.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lots of jack either way for a boosted battery.... Talk about having you by the short hair... there it is.:D

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Maybe a long shot, but I'd inquire if the ECU is considered part of the emissions system and covered under the longer term emissions equipment warranty.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ugghhh...where to start.....?? Going to be some rambling in my post so you are warned....

P0605 is a communication error between ECU and BATTERY. Kubota words their stuff differently than auto manufacturers so in my opinion, forget what the ISO description is and use Kubota's description. It is more accurate. ISO descriptions are meant to be used in the automotive world and a lot of them don't apply 100% to Kubota's terminology--thus ends up with mass confusion. P0605 is "usually" a voltage issue. I forget what pin, but several of the pins in the harness supply +12v and "earth" (ground) to the ECU. If one of the pins in the harness end, ECU end are damaged/corroded/broken, it'll throw that code. Additionally if there is ANY damage along the harness somewhere that would kill the +12v supply (and/or earth), you will also get that code-and possibly others.

The only way to diagnose a Kubota system is with their diagnostic software. Nobody else's communicates properly. Kubota calls it "diag-master". It works well but like all software, isn't perfect.

Yes reverse polarity can kill the ECU. Yes the ECU is expensive. Yes the ECU is plug-and-play, so long as it is the exact part number for YOUR tractor. Some tractors have multiple different part numbers depending on the serial number and model. For instance the ECU is different between an L3901HST and an L3901DT, just used as an example. The "box" that the ECU is contained within is the same metal box, however the programming is different. The program has a part number if one were to reprogram the ECU (which was done way back in 2014/15 as I recall).

If for example one were to use a DT ECU with an HST tractor, some stuff won't work properly and then you'd have a massive waste of money/time. Similar for wiring harnesses, they are different between HST and DT (and GST or whatever).

Be really careful when ordering.....that is my only advice and that comes from experience. The part number that you are buying MUST 100% accurately match the one you removed. Dealer parts guys & gals are imperfect too, and that's where my experience came into play.

Kubota "might" assist with the repair....but don't get your hopes up. But it don't hurt to ask.

One final rambling. On all of the common rail engine tractors (basically everything +25hp), if you have to replace the battery, turn the key off an wait about 30 minutes before removing the battery cables. The reason being, one a lot of the smaller tractors, the ECU's capacitors will hold juice in them for a while after the power's cut. The ECU is still working when you turn the key off. Also you'll hear the electric lift pump still pumping for a minute or two after you turn the key off. It's pumping fuel through the supply pump and some of the lines and cooler, for lubrication and cooling purposes. Wait a while. On the bigger M series tractors, you have DEF in the equation. When you turn the key off on a hot engine, DEF continues to circulate through the injector which cools it off. If one were to disconnect the battery immediately after shutting the engine down, it's possible that the DEF injector could be damaged due to excessive heating because it's coolant was cut off. Just let it sit about 30 minutes before removing the battery cable; problem averted. Same principles with trucks & cars and they tell you in the owners manuals what and what not to do, and sometimes they even tell you why. I am not sure Kubota says anything about it.

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Lugbolt, Thanks for the write up on the ECU issue.

This is exactly why I take my Volkswagen diesel to the dealer only for service, because of what I don't know.

Apparently tractors are the same way now.

To the OP I know what I would do now.
Good Luck.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All I can say is WOW. A simple dead battery can be very costly I guess. I guess I'd be in trouble with one (if I had one) in as much as I run battery disconnects on mine and take the battery out of the circuit when the units are idle. I do that more for a theft issue (because I leave the tractor sit near my remote fields when haying) rather than bring them home.

I disconnect the batteries when parked so no 'vandals' can start them.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
KTAC would probably cover it. That's reason # 1,000,019 to have KTAC as opposed to homeowners or farm insurance. It's dirt cheap too.

(just an informational message for those that might be on the fence with insurance)

Warranty might actually help. Ask the dealer to request assistance from Kubota. Worst they'll say is "no" and you already know what that means.