3 point hitch string trimmer, Mark II

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I posted a topic on the original version here. The right angle drive I used was VERY used when I got it and didn't like being run upside down, probably due to lube issues. In any event, it failed catastrophically.

I decided to resurrect the project this Spring and got a 30 hp-rated brush hog gearbox from Surplus Center and redesigned the mount and drive belt arrangement.

With a heavier gearbox, mounted as designed and a better PTO shaft with a slip clutch, I think this version should work quite well. String head speed seems a little slow but it works okay. I may mess with pulley sizes a little down the road. I left the intermediate shaft long until I was sure I had the pulley alignment right. I'll trim that to length.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Nice job PHPaul. I love what people are able to come up with on this site. Now to work in an actuator to be able to drop that arm down in to a ditch or up a slope while keeping the tractor on level ground

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nice job PHPaul. I love what people are able to come up with on this site. Now to work in an actuator to be able to drop that arm down in to a ditch or up a slope while keeping the tractor on level ground
Easily done with a top and tilt hydraulic setup. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Easily done with a top and tilt hydraulic setup. ;)
Saaaaaaayyyyyy...:p

I have a hydraulic top link that works great with my box blade, but I still have to adjust the tilt manually to crown the drive.

I've been thinking a tilt kit would be awful handy, but didn't want to spend the money to have a second rear remote plumbed in.

How hard would that be to do with one remote already installed?

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Would it need some kind of deflector plate to protect all that shiny glass from flying stones?
Or does it spin the other way?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

I have a hydraulic top link that works great with my box blade, but I still have to adjust the tilt manually to crown the drive.

I've been thinking a tilt kit would be awful handy, but didn't want to spend the money to have a second rear remote plumbed in.

Easy to double your hydraulic circuits from a single remote.

I used a 12 volt selector valve like this one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-...468320?hash=item3f8c38bd20:g:ke8AAOSwTmtaMV06

Think of it like an A or B switch. In one position circuit A works, flip a switch and circuit B works while circuit A is locked in place.

I used the selector valve on my snow blower. You feed the switch from the single remote and it sends the fluid where you want.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

There are splitter kits to split on rear remote into two rear remotes and they are fairly cheap if I remember right. ;)