B50 updates

quackaddict

Jun 22, 2019
Little Falls
First time poster, long time lurker.

My wife and I are closing on a 20 acre property with 700' of asphalt driveway, a couple of outbuildings, and a home. I also have a small lawn care/snow removal company where I could keep a small tractor busy year round. I would expect 60-100 hours a year blowing snow, loader work moving soil, turning compost, using a set of forks, and eventually a grapple for brush. I would also like to get a flail for some rough area mowing.

I have been looking at Kubota and John Deere and the B2650 and 3350 cab tractors have really peaked my interest. When I really think about what I want to do I would really like to get a 3350 for the extra power (especially for snow removal) and for flail/tiller usage. Obviously the issues with regen are well known and none of the local dealers will even sell me one.

Im wondering if anyone knows if an update to the B50 series is in the near future? I have heard a new B3350 motor is in the works and I see the 2601 has an updated loader and tire selections. If an update is close at hand I would probably wait for it, if not it seems like the 2650 is the way to go.

Its amazing to me that JD has not come out with a Cabbed 2032/2038 to compete with the B50 series, but that is another thread in itself.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How large is the price gap to a small Grand L? Sounds like your property is big enough to justify it, and that'd give you the HP you're looking for.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT BUY the current B3350 or you'll regret it. :eek:

They have had a multitude of issues with the engine and emissions, and don't let a fast talking salesman tell you they are all fixed, as they are not! :(

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
DO NOT BUY the current B3350 or you'll regret it. :eek:

They have had a multitude of issues with the engine and emissions, and don't let a fast talking salesman tell you they are all fixed, as they are not! :(
If you “need” the power of the B3350, just get an L3301. I really “wanted” a B3350SU but ended up going with the B2650 because of the emissions issues. I would have gone with an L3301 but it weighs a lot more and it would be right at the limits of my car hauler trailer. After thinking about it over a few beers, I came to the conclusion that I was experiencing “tractor size creep” and that the B2650 would be more than I would ever actually “need”.

I put my new 60” brush hog on the back of the B2650 yesterday and mowed down some chin-high grass and small trees and it was fantastic. Some people say that a B2650 would need to pull a 60” brush hog at slow speeds due to the lack of power. However, I was going as fast as I felt comfortable yesterday and the machine wasn’t bogging down at all. Going any faster would have been abusive to the machine and unsafe.

quackaddict

Jun 22, 2019
Little Falls
If you “need” the power of the B3350, just get an L3301.

I put my new 60” brush hog on the back of the B2650 yesterday and mowed down some chin-high grass and small trees and it was fantastic. Some people say that a B2650 would need to pull a 60” brush hog at slow speeds due to the lack of power. However, I was going as fast as I felt comfortable yesterday and the machine wasn’t bogging down at all. Going any faster would have been abusive to the machine and unsafe.
L3301 is not available with a cab, and that is a must have for this tractor.

Everyone who has a 2650 says they have plenty of power, but I cant help but want more for PTO powered implements. It is good to hear it handles your 5' hog with ease. I would likely pair a 62" flail to a tractor of this size and I would expect it would handle it based on what people say.

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
L3301 is not available with a cab, and that is a must have for this tractor.

Everyone who has a 2650 says they have plenty of power, but I cant help but want more for PTO powered implements. It is good to hear it handles your 5' hog with ease. I would likely pair a 62" flail to a tractor of this size and I would expect it would handle it based on what people say.
Ah, I totally missed the cab part. Doing that much snow-blowing without a cab would be terrible! I would imagine that you would notice the difference between the 2650 and the 3350 if you were tilling or something.

Could your situation and budget accommodate one of the Ls with a cab?

quackaddict

Jun 22, 2019
Little Falls
Ah, I totally missed the cab part. Doing that much snow-blowing without a cab would be terrible! I would imagine that you would notice the difference between the 2650 and the 3350 if you were tilling or something.

Could your situation and budget accommodate one of the Ls with a cab?
Honestly yes, but If I were to want a larger tractor I would probably opt for a 3039r or something similar. I have a JD dealer five minutes from home and they have been excellent to work with. The only thing that has me looking at a Kubota is the lack of a factory cab on a large frame 2r JD.

While a larger tractor is theoretically possible, most of my business work would benefit from a light, capable tractor like the b2650 over something that weighs around 3500lbs like the L3560 or the 3039r.

I just need Kubota to get a working 33hp option in the B50 series and I will be in hog heaven!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I suspect the B2650 will be all you need, snow blower is probably the one implement that you'd need for horsepower on. Then again, lots of people using them with snow blowers, so it may be a case of sizing it right.

Failing that, you could just get the 3350. Maybe get a second hand one - there were a few of them sold, and nobody wants them, so in theory you could get one cheap. Sure, it'll have issues, but if you're prepared for them, and maybe prepared to do some of the fixes yourself, then it might be manageable. People seemed to have issues in cold weather (so snow blowing not ideal), but also when not running it hot. If you're snow blowing you'll be running at full revs and it'll work hard, so I'd guess that'd keep it plenty hot.

Or you could look at a JD with after market cab. Wouldn't be as good for the cab, but if you need the horsepower then could be the right option. Or get an older Kubota second hand - pre-DPF.

Just looking around, I see https://www.machinerypete.com/details/under-40-hp/2018/kubota/b3350/19752141 $34,000 with a snow blower, and only 60 hours, probably they'd make a deal. Or https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/29950439/2009-kubota-b3030hsdc $18,900 for the B3030 with snow blower.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the Kubota Grand L3560 and really like it. So far it has completed every task we have thrown at it. My dad has an 80 acre farm, which 60 of it we share crop out, so we have about 20 acres that we are trying to maintain and get back into shape after several years of nothing being done.

(Attached a couple pictures of the tractor after we had been clearing one area. Also, a picture of tractor when I first got it and my dad resting on the deck.)

Attachments

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
Honestly yes, but If I were to want a larger tractor I would probably opt for a 3039r or something similar. I have a JD dealer five minutes from home and they have been excellent to work with. The only thing that has me looking at a Kubota is the lack of a factory cab on a large frame 2r JD.

While a larger tractor is theoretically possible, most of my business work would benefit from a light, capable tractor like the b2650 over something that weighs around 3500lbs like the L3560 or the 3039r.

I just need Kubota to get a working 33hp option in the B50 series and I will be in hog heaven!

Too bad you’re not local, I know where there is a B3350 cab for sale right now. It has all the recalls done and the owner says “no issues for the past year”. The machine was for mowing and it was run at full throttle so that it would re-gen without issue. The original owner traded up to a Grand L.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
You can forget about the L'01 series tractors for two reasons: no cab, no mid PTO. You'd need that mid PTO for a front blower.

So, I think your choices right now can be reduced to either B2650 or a small Grand L.

Forget the B3350 unless you're willing to wait for the updated version.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
First time poster, long time lurker.

My wife and I are closing on a 20 acre property with 700' of asphalt driveway, a couple of outbuildings, and a home. I also have a small lawn care/snow removal company where I could keep a small tractor busy year round. I would expect 60-100 hours a year blowing snow, loader work moving soil, turning compost, using a set of forks, and eventually a grapple for brush. I would also like to get a flail for some rough area mowing.

I have been looking at Kubota and John Deere and the B2650 and 3350 cab tractors have really peaked my interest. When I really think about what I want to do I would really like to get a 3350 for the extra power (especially for snow removal) and for flail/tiller usage. Obviously the issues with regen are well known and none of the local dealers will even sell me one.

Im wondering if anyone knows if an update to the B50 series is in the near future? I have heard a new B3350 motor is in the works and I see the 2601 has an updated loader and tire selections. If an update is close at hand I would probably wait for it, if not it seems like the 2650 is the way to go.

Its amazing to me that JD has not come out with a Cabbed 2032/2038 to compete with the B50 series, but that is another thread in itself.
I agree with earlier posters and would not buy a B3350 at this time.

Though no one knows when, a common rail engine is in the works to replace the mechanically injected engine in the current B3350. Just guessing, but I suspect that it will be announced this fall at the dealers meeting. Wait.

I disagree with earlier posters regarding 60" rough cut mower with a B2650, in anything but ideal conditions. Of course, it depends upon what you intend to cut, but I use a 6' HD cutter on my 53 PTO HP L6060 and it's often all it wants.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
According to the owner's manual for 3350 and 2650 both, Kubota recommends the same max size implements for both tractors, 72 inch mid mount, 48 inch 500 lb one blade rotary cutter, 72 inch 2 or 3 blade rear mount, 48 inch flail mower.

So you would not appear to gain much with a 3350. Except the possibility of a lot of headaches as others have mentioned. Fixing the problems that it has had is not a do it yourself proposition. Changing a part of the engine control system requires reprogramming with a dealer only piece of software.

I have both an L3560 and a B2650. They are both nice tractors but designed for different tasks. You would have to decide which size and weight will work for your application.

quackaddict

Jun 22, 2019
Little Falls
Interesting conversation, and thank you all for the replies!

To be clear, I am not interested in the current 3350 in any way shape or form. There are too many documented issues with that engine to try and use it for a business. I had heard there was a motor in the works and I was hoping someone knew a timeline. I have time, so I will be waiting to see if any news comes in the fall.

When do announcements come out to dealers?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Fyi my b2650 handles my Kubota 63" front mount snow blower just fine power wise. If you want I could post a video of it in action last winter in full depth snow. The PTO also delivers without problem for my new WC68 wood chipper. The tractor is about 1 Hp below what the chipper pto minimum is (20 HP) yet the rpm barely dropped with 6" green poplar trees running through, albeit at slow feed rate setting.

Link to blower vid, hope it works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HCu9Grnc2D8ue5Pp7

Even better, the whole album. It's an 800ft driveway, took me just over an hour.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GdP89UceS8TV23Us9

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
According to the owner's manual for 3350 and 2650 both, Kubota recommends the same max size implements for both tractors, 72 inch mid mount, 48 inch 500 lb one blade rotary cutter, 72 inch 2 or 3 blade rear mount, 48 inch flail mower.

So you would not appear to gain much with a 3350. Except the possibility of a lot of headaches as others have mentioned. Fixing the problems that it has had is not a do it yourself proposition. Changing a part of the engine control system requires reprogramming with a dealer only piece of software.

I have both an L3560 and a B2650. They are both nice tractors but designed for different tasks. You would have to decide which size and weight will work for your application.
The B2650 and B3350 use the same chassis, the significant difference being the engine.

The 2650 produces 19.5 PTO HP, whereas the 3350 produces 27 PTO HP, a 38%+ increase. This is an enormous increase at this power level.

The limiting factor for three point mounted rotary cutters for these tractors is the tractor weight and three point lift mechanism. 500 Lbs. is enough for these tractors regardless of power.

That said, the 3350 has enough PTO HP to handle a (light weight) 5' rotary cutter in nearly all conditions while a 2650 will do so only in ideal conditions. Either would need front weights.

SDT

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Check out this Kubota list for the B series Performance Matched Attachments/Implements:

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/lp-pdfs/02-b-series-lp-implements.pdf

The RCR1260 Land Pride 5 ft. rotary mower is matched to the B2650. The B2650 is a very capable tractor. I got mine (2017) with the FEL so leave that attached when mowing so absolutely no balance/counterweight issues.

As far as 3-point weight limits, it all depends on the distance to the implement center of gravity from the hitch points. 500 lbs. is probably a reasonable limit with rotary mowers as they hang way back of the mounts. I put an 800 lb. WC68 chipper on it, no worries, stears and handles without a problem, just need to put in 4wd if tighter steering control is needed. And for a slightly "underpowered" tractor (19.5 pto HP vs min 20 listed for the chipper) it gobbles up 6 inch material without issue, on slower feed speed setting,and watching the PTO speed readout on the tractor it dropped to no less than 521 RPM from 540 RPM under that load.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am thinking that there must be more to the wear and tear on a tractor than just the total weight and width of the implement. The reason I ask this question is the difference in allowable width according to Kubota if the tractor is spinning up one long blade versus 2 or 3 short ones. Also a comment by a Kubota tech to me that he wasn't a big fan of the Gator blades on these little tractors (B2650). There is a big difference in the size and splines of the mid and rear pto shafts on my B2650, B3350, and the L3560 even though the horsepower is not that different. The B looks downright dainty to me. So maybe they are taking into account the engineering of the structures involved. So having more horsepower might save gearing down, but would not solve all of the issues.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Check out this Kubota list for the B series Performance Matched Attachments/Implements:

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/lp-pdfs/02-b-series-lp-implements.pdf

The RCR1260 Land Pride 5 ft. rotary mower is matched to the B2650. The B2650 is a very capable tractor. I got mine (2017) with the FEL so leave that attached when mowing so absolutely no balance/counterweight issues.

As far as 3-point weight limits, it all depends on the distance to the implement center of gravity from the hitch points. 500 lbs. is probably a reasonable limit with rotary mowers as they hang way back of the mounts. I put an 800 lb. WC68 chipper on it, no worries, stears and handles without a problem, just need to put in 4wd if tighter steering control is needed. And for a slightly "underpowered" tractor (19.5 pto HP vs min 20 listed for the chipper) it gobbles up 6 inch material without issue, on slower feed speed setting,and watching the PTO speed readout on the tractor it dropped to no less than 521 RPM from 540 RPM under that load.
This is inconsistent with the Implement Limitations chart in my B3350 (also B2650 and B3350SU) owners manual, which clearly specifies max 48" and 500 Lbs. for single spindle, three point mounted rotary cutters (bush hog type).

I sometimes use a 60" (not too heavy) cutter on my B3350 but always remove the FEL in the spring so front weights are definitely needed and used. Plenty of power, but the mower can push the relatively light weight tractor around a bit in some conditions.

I would not consider a 60" cutter for a B2650 except in absolutely ideal conditions, front weights or not.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I saw that inconsistency too, and wondered when they said "performance matched" if they had re engineered some of the implements so they would work with those tractors? E.g. could they have changed the gearing in the cutter to make it easier to spin up?