Lighting Revisited

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Past Problems:
* ROPS mounted work lights attracted bugs in warm weather and probably because I wear glasses, provided glare year-round. This was true with halogens and LED's.
* LED's mounted on the ROPS and cab roof made it difficult to see where the cut / uncut grass met. I'm guessing it has to do with the angle of the light hitting the ground and the LED color temperature?
Rear-facing lights aren't as important in this case. They are just there to see trees and other things I don't want to back into.

What works now:
* Forward-facing lights are mounted in the grille guard. Being mounted much lower makes the light hit the ground at a sharper angle and makes it easy to see cut / uncut. Kind of like seeing how wavy vinyl siding can look when the sun hits it at a certain angle.
* Side lights mounted low make it a lot easier to see exactly where I need to turn. I just added these after a 10:00PM finish earlier this week. There were a number of times I needed to back up so the front lights could light up where needed.

Had it out for a trial run last night and am very happy with the results. Depending on schedules and weather, night mowing is fairly common for me.

Attachments

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Really bright setup.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Curious, does the cab tractors come with the wires already ran to the blank spot next to the switch for the rear lights?

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Curious, does the cab tractors come with the wires already ran to the blank spot next to the switch for the rear lights?
Mine did and I believe that's common. I used the Kubota switch (plug n play) but used LED lights.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Just for general discussion, on the first gen L series, there are three wires to the left fender - yellow for position lights, one with a white stripe for the flashers and a red for the work light. There is a pre-drilled hole for toggle switch too if you don't want the light controlled just by the ignition key to come on with the headlights.

I don't know if this was continued on the later L generations.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Mowed tonight and snapped a picture looking through the right door. With the revised lighting it is easy to see all around the tractor. Before adding the side lights (mounted in the tube of the FEL frame) it was difficult to see where where I need to swing the tractor to line up on the uncut grass when making a turn.

Attachments

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm thinking about adding rear work lights, I'm assuming that the wiring is already ran and if I buy Kubota switch and lights, it is just a matter of plug and play, yet I could be wrong.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Mine had the wiring all ready to go. There's a connector that simply plugs into the switch. At the rear of the roof the work light wires were wrapped in black tape with the wires going to the rear flashers. They have small connectors on the ends that plug into the factory lights. I snipped them off and spliced them to the tails on the Maxximas.

The roof didn't need to be removed for the installation. It was possible to work through the switch hole after popping the blank (rubber plug). There are other connectors in there for defrosters, etc. I tested continuity between the wires at the back of the cab roof and the connector to find the right one.

I used Maxxima MWL-42 LED floods instead of the factory lights. I've been using these for years and love them. They throw much more light and without the light/dark spots the factory lights do. As I noted before, the real ticket for front lights for mowing is the pair mounted low on the brush guard. For me the light needs to hit the grass at a low angle to get a good definition and see cut vs. uncut.

I finished mowing last night around 9:30 and it was a real joy to be in the cab and see what I was doing with A/C on and have all the bugs outside:)

Since the first post the front factory lights at the roof have also been replaced with Maxximas. I needed to make a small extension tab to mount them due to the roof overhang in the front.

https://www.thetrailershoppe.com/product/maxxima-rectangular-work-light-1-200-lumen-clone

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure why anyone would mow at night but whatever blows your dress up I guess.

I run 2 forward facing high intensity LED's on the upper mounts on the cab and 2 'side shootrers' in the back because I need to see where my implements are when roading. I also have camera's on the back and sides so I can watch without looking over my shoulder.