Trailer Advice!!

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
Beaverton, Ontario, Canada
Hello all, this is my first thread on this forum. I just picked up my bx23s a few days ago, and put 6 fun hours on the clock. Looking to purchase a trailer to haul the bx and only the bx. I have a dump trailer (that I picked it up in) and a car hauler, but I want something just big enough to put the bx on when I loan it out or move it around.

I came across this Canada Trailers CE414-6k. Its built locally (in Ontario) and basically built specifically for the bx with loader and bh. I was never even considering a single axle trailer until I stumbled upon this trailer. Here is a link to the same trailer for reference:

Edit: cannot post link or pictures until I reach the post threshold, however if you Google Canada Trailers CE414-6k you will see it!

What do you guys think? It has a single 6k axle with brakes and is balanced specifically for the tractor.. let me know!

Sorry I cant post a picture as I haven't made the 5 post threshold yet! I have been reading tons of great stuff though and look forward to being active on this forum!

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
If you want a trailer for your bx I don't see how you could be wrong buying one that is made specifically for it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally would never consider a single axle trailer for equipment.

Even is it sits perfectly on the trailer and is balanced, hit something in the road and blow a trailer tire and you'll quickly find out why a single axle trailer is a bad idea! :eek: :(

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I personally would never consider a single axle trailer for equipment.

Even is it sits perfectly on the trailer and is balanced, hit something in the road and blow a trailer tire and you'll quickly find out why a single axle trailer is a bad idea! :eek: :(
X2. I wouldn't consider a single axle trailer either.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
X3 on the single axle. This is not where you want to save money.

I've found the 18-20' tandem flatbed (car hauler) is the jack of all trades for light trailering.

Check out R&R for quality trailers you can buy direct.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I agree with others that a tandem trailer is 'better' but he said he already has a car hauler and wants something smaller. If I were in the market for a minimal trailer I'd probably look no further than one made for size/weight wise. It seems to meet your requirements of what you're looking for. I stick with my car hauler mostly out of future proofing myself for bringing attachments/debris/supplies/etc to and from side jobs.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well I googled it, went to mfrs site and couldn't find it !! Like others the 'single axle' aspect can be real NIGHTMARE on back roads..... I saw them for $2000 ,so it's a good price though the hoe does stick out behind NOT what I'd want.
I didn't see if there's 'feet' at the back to prevent the trailer from tilting, those would be necessary .
If ALL you need to carry is the BX23S(nothing else...) it 'should' be OK.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Tandem axle is best for this. Great for moving around. Iffen ya want to loan it out I can PM my address. I would let ya know when it needs service.

Kurtee:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Single axle or double axle notwithstanding -- I'm not a big fan of surge brakes.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
surge brakes allow ANY vehicle to pull the trailer,well within weight ability. They cost MORE than electrics though and reduce payload capacity a bit. I prefer tandem with BOTH axles having brakes.
I make trailers as a hobby(winter projects..seem to last all year long..) and next is a 5by16 for my BX23S.

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
Thank you all for the great responses! I agree with the single axle being iffy - exactly why I made this post.. The trailer does have drop down rear legs for loading, and the bh does stick out a bit behind the ramps (but less than 12"). You could curl the front bucket and move it up enough to tuck in the bh but I guess it would depend on how it sits on the truck (tongue weight).

I can get the trailer for $2300 CAN plus tax here brand new, another reason I was considering it. I plan on renting out the tractor to family and friends that do landscaping projects and want something easy for them to hook onto and go, without hauling an 18+ foot tandem car hauler around. Still, I wouldn't want to tow this behind anything smaller than a full size pickup truck so at that point a tandem trailer would be fine. I may just get a 6x14 tandem.. the only extra impliment I will have with it is the post hole auger and 9/10 times I will be switching it with the backhoe before it goes out.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I was supportive of your inclination until your last post. I myself have a BX 2660 with FEL, no backhoe but generally have a bushog or small harrows on the rear. I have hauled it quite a bit on a 6x14 single axle trailer. However the single axle does leave less margin for safety. Since it is my tractor at stake I assume the increased risk and drive accordingly, slow and careful. I also have quite a bit of experience with trailers and understand the dangers.

You noted in your post that you wanted something friends and family could just hook to and go. That's where I jumped off the bandwagon. Having potentially inexperienced operators driving means you have now lost the ability to control the risks and have placed your property in their hands.

So, with the understanding that you are not the one pulling the trailer, I certainly would stick with tandem axle.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
surge brakes allow ANY vehicle to pull the trailer,well within weight ability. They cost MORE than electrics though and reduce payload capacity a bit. I prefer tandem with BOTH axles having brakes.
Personal preference. I think electric brakes are cheaper and easier to maintain, perform better, provide manual override and break-away capabilities. Plus you don't have to lock them out when backing. But to each his own...

I plan on renting out the tractor to family and friends that do landscaping projects and want something easy for them to hook onto and go, without hauling an 18+ foot tandem car hauler around.
In the pictures I saw, the axle of that trailer is well rearward of the centre of gravity. The tongue weight is going to be considerable, especially with the tractor loaded. A full-size pickup would not be optional, it would be minumum.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I too was not overly worried about personal use of a single-axle trailer for short hauls... but I left the bandwagon when you mentioned your intention to "rent it out". That liability (by liability I mean moral liability...the legal liabilities are only money) is overwhelmingly in favor of more robust trailer equipment.
If you expect someone to pay you for using the tractor and they don't arrive with their own suitable trailer... and you are supplying them with one... you really should consider the ramifications of that liability. IMO.

There's a rental company near to me which rents out tractors (and I used them until I discovered which sized tractor I should purchase) and their policy is the renter must transport the tractor upon the renter's trailer using the renter's tow-vehicle. If a renter does not own or have a suitable set-up, the rental company requires delivery/retrieval by the rental company's own trailer and employees (for addt'l fee, of course.)

Puts an entirely different color on the transaction.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
You guys are being harsh...I ran a single-axle 6x12 PJ utility trailer for years, with a single 3500lb axle. I transported my B2920 everywhere with it. That was a great trailer, and it had no brakes at all.

A BX is a light machine and a single axle is fine, if you can get enough length. If you are worried about a blowout, make sure you have a spare tire and a jack. Many times, the tow vehicle's jack will work.

Would a tandem be better? Sure, it might be, but it isn't necessary. They cost more and are less maneuverable.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'll post this same answer as on the other existing trailer thread...

here is but one
example of a single axle trailer with tractor gone wrong...

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36195

There are so many posts on trailer sizing, especially regarding number of axles/brakes, there should be a "sticky" thread on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cody27

Equipment
Kubota bx23s
May 2, 2019
Agreed. I have proper insurances in place for the legal and financial side, I offer local delivery of the tractor for renting which I will be doing on the new trailer but when I lend it out for beer somebody may be picking it up.

My entire thing was I have other trailers for other tasks. This is specifically for moving the bx, when needed. It is a light piece of equipment compared to others (skidsteers, mini ex's etc). I'm sure it would be fine on the single axle but was hoping someone else had real world experience with it. Picking up a 6x16 tandem I have a link.on anyways! Will leave it as the bx trailer!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I think the trailer the OP was looking at is built largely for the equipment rental market. The big box stores and some other rental outfits locally seem to use these trailers due to the size and surge brakes being more suitable for pulling maybe even behind the family minivan.