What kind of chainsaw you have?

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I have two husqvarna 445's with 18" bars. First one I had for three years. Loaned it out :rolleyes: got it back with no compression, bent chain adjuster, bent bar, and a chain that looked like they tried cutting a bundle of rebar with it :mad: they ran it for a week on straight gas. Not sure about the rest. ended up replacing it and keeping the junk one for parts if needed. Have had this one for two years now. Had a small stihl years ago that probably was a lemon. Won't buy another one personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daren, can I borrow saw? :D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
ORANGE CHAINSAWS of course!

Three Huskies, a 16" trimmer, and 18" cutter and a 12' telescopic pole saw, plus an old mint CRAFTSMAN electric I bought at a thrift store for $10.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thats kinda funny, Sawmill doesent have a saw....
My preference to husky is the weight and they dont feel mushy.
Sharpening a saw is all technique. Practice.
Good files,proper angles using the guide and only push file on one direction. Cutting edge inwards leaves the best edge.

I sharpen a couple times a day, 3 passes with the file will keep a good edge.

Chainsaw is just like the ford chevy dodge thing- its all a matter of preference.

Hope you all have the proper protection- stick a saw in your leg , chances are you wont make it to hospital. A pair of 100 pants is money well spent.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
All Stihl, 017, older saw and one of the handiest , 2-026's & a 361, two weed eaters, one weed eater is over 10yrs old, and they get lots of use, I also heat with a wood boiler, that heats the house and the water, along with a 40x60 shop. And the only mix I use is the Stihl.
No gas issues here. Allot of times, The weed eater will have last years gas in it. Never a start issue.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tooljunkie, you mention a $100 pair of britches and that's a good point to make.

Something else that my save some grief. When using a chain saw always have fingers on top on the handle bar and your thumb underneath. Then if your hand slips, or you loose your grip, your hand isn't going towards the bar/chain.

You can have the nicest, newest, fastest, prettiest saw in the neighborhood, but if you're not safe with it.....who cares?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
all my saws are old but still work great. Stihl 042, and a pair of really old mini macs for limbing and trimming. just got to play with them yesterday again too.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yepper on the chaps,,, My bud the sheep farmer,, no not our sheep farmer,, Has an old pair of chaps that have a couple NASTY gouges out of them,,, Really makes me think about buying a pair, and the face shield wouldn't hurt none either, and safety glasses are a must along with a good pair of gloves.. AND HEARING PROTECTION !!!!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yepper on the chaps,,, My bud the sheep farmer,, no not our sheep farmer,, Has an old pair of chaps that have a couple NASTY gouges out of them,,, Really makes me think about buying a pair, and the face shield wouldn't hurt none either, and safety glasses are a must along with a good pair of gloves.. AND HEARING PROTECTION !!!!
This sheepfarmer has a small Stihl from about 30 years ago when I still thought I could learn to do anything if I worked at it. :D Only wanted to prune stuff back. But soon learned I don't have enough forearm strength to control saw if it kicked. Gave up on using it :( too scary.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hope you all have the proper protection- stick a saw in your leg , chances are you wont make it to hospital. A pair of 100 pants is money well spent.
So true.

Also hard hat. True story, and got lucky:

I was cutting firewood from tops after logging job. Widow maker in a maple that had several tops tight around its base.

Got so intent on the tension in the stuff at the bottom, forgot about that thing up above. Tops were bangin' around as I picked away. Widow maker came loose - hit me clean right on top of the ol' noggin'!!:eek:

Nice hard hat, with muffs and face screen, was hanging off mirror of the Jeep 100 feet way!!:eek:

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!:mad::mad:

Thankfully not hurt too bad.

My father said "Good thing it hit you in the head, 'cuz otherwise you mighta gotten hurt!!:confused:

I was young and lucky, won't tempt fate again. :cool:

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Here's my other Stihls. Left is a 25 year old FS86, right is a much newer FS130 4 cycle.

For you guys not paying attention to ethanol gas - the FS86 got bit by it. Thought it was done for, and bought the new one. After a carb rebuild, and using StarTron, have been able to keep it going.

It still runs OK, but not as good as it used to. I like it much better than the new one.

I only use ethanol-free now for small engines. Several stations locally carry it now.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wolfman, awesome saw :p:D:cool: we've owned a couple of those over the years

That's so true about safety. Had 12 leaner's on the property after the tornado 4 years ago. One was a definite for the tree service. 70ft tall and going straight for the power lines. The rest were just the pita factor. Had two stuck on the same tree. Got one down, and the other rolled and snapped in half. Was watching the lower section and didn't see the top break. Didn't hear it do to hearing protection. Flipped straight back and came down on top of my head. Piece that caught me was 4" thick. Came too with my wife and father in law standing over me. Wife was in nurse mode :) asking all these questions and checking me out. Father in law decided to lean over after every thing seemed good and state the obvious "you got knocked the &@$& out" :rolleyes: I always wear a hard hat now if they aren't on the ground.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
No ethanol-free gas around me at gas stations. I get Mogas at an airport about 10 miles away.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
No ethanol-free gas around me at gas stations. I get Mogas at an airport about 10 miles away.
My local ECHO dealer sells by the can, I think it's brigs and Stratton brand name if my memory serves me right. I think it was pricy though....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I saw some in gallon cans at Lowe's by the mowers and trimmers. Selling premixed gas by the can too