B3350 Update

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How are you deciding that the 2650 doesn't have enough horsepower? As I mentioned in another thread, and I don't remember your rationale, I apologize, the two tractors have basically the same equipment limitations according to Kubota. Keep in mind a lot of us ask questions in the hopes of havinginformation appear that is useful to others too.
Experience, lots of it, and the PTO HP of the tractor that I replaced with the 3350.

You're just going to have to trust me here.

SDT

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Experience, lots of it, and the PTO HP of the tractor that I replaced with the 3350.

You're just going to have to trust me here.

SDT
Hard to trust you when you don’t want to share or answer Sheepfarmers excellent question. If you needed the power, why didn’t you buy a L series that were known not to have issues? As far as power, there isn’t that much difference between a B2650 and B3350 that just driving a little slower won’t compensate for. What is the implement you are running that needs the extra power?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hard to trust you when you don***8217;t want to share or answer Sheepfarmers excellent question. If you needed the power, why didn***8217;t you buy a L series that were known not to have issues? As far as power, there isn***8217;t that much difference between a B2650 and B3350 that just driving a little slower won***8217;t compensate for. What is the implement you are running that needs the extra power?
Regarding L series: Too big and no MMM. Besides I already have an L6060 used for other purposes. (I also like armrests.)

Regarding HP: B2650 is 19.5 PTO HP while B3350 is 27 PTO HP. This is a 38%+ increase, which is HUGE.

If you must know, I sometimes operate a 5' rotary cutter with the 3350 in areas where my larger mowers do not produce acceptable results. Sometimes the cover is heavy and sometimes the ground is steep. The 19.5 PTO HP of the 2650 is not enough power to do this acceptably based upon the performance of the 3350 and the 27+ PTO HP of the tractor that it replaced.

SDT

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok so you've tried the 3350 with the mower in question and it just barely powered it? Is this a mmm or a single blade rotary mower? If the latter it is oversize for both the 2650 and the 3350. So the compromise to get a useable small tractor might be a different mower?

I agree that at least in the Kubota line the ideal tractor may not presently exist, but we are only trying to get at things to help you and other folks get out of your present predicament. Several people have traded 3350s for 2650s with dealer cooperation when a working 3350 couldn't be had, but here's hoping yours can be made to work. Good that you also have a bigger tractor.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ok so you've tried the 3350 with the mower in question and it just barely powered it? Is this a mmm or a single blade rotary mower? If the latter it is oversize for both the 2650 and the 3350. So the compromise to get a useable small tractor might be a different mower?

I agree that at least in the Kubota line the ideal tractor may not presently exist, but we are only trying to get at things to help you and other folks get out of your present predicament. Several people have traded 3350s for 2650s with dealer cooperation when a working 3350 couldn't be had, but here's hoping yours can be made to work. Good that you also have a bigger tractor.
Three point mounted rough cut (bush hog type) mower. The 72" MMM is a back up for my absolutely wonderful 1994 B1750HST with 60" MMM, and has not been used.

Yes, I am well aware that Kubota recommends nothing larger than a 48" mounted rough cut rotary mower (500 lbs. max) for either the 2650 or the 3350, but 27 PTO HP is adequate for a 60". Kubota's 48" limit for the 3350 is, no doubt, based upon mower weight (I have a full set of front weights) and capacity of the three point mechanism rather than HP.

The 3350 is just about perfect for my purposes, while the 2650 has inadequate power and the 3301 is a bit too large, has no mid PTO and is not available with armrests, which I like.

I DID research this thoroughly before buying but did not consider that the 3350 engine is mechanically injected rather than common rail and, as a result, the DPF/regen system is TOTALLY different than all other Kubota tractors.

You may now be beginning to understand why I try to avoid disclosing unneeded/irrelevant information. Doing so is an invitation for nit-picking (not directed at you), which is often off topic of the original thread.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Kubota's latest plan to replace (just about) everything in the DPF system will render my 3350 useable. There are, after all, 3350s out there that have never been back to the dealer for regen issues.

I will keep members informed as things develop.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks SDT. If only you had asked me/us about regen in the 3350... if you will indulge me in some ancient history, when I got my 3560 in 2013, I didn't know nothing from nothing about regeneration or dpf filters, but I had my wsm and learned. It was hard given my background or lack thereof. However people that were having difficulties with the 3350s mentioned reformers, and so one of my early questions to NIW was what the heck is a reformer, my tractor does not appear to have one? When I got the 2650 two years ago, the wsm has a diagram of regeneration in the 3350, and my reaction was omg no wonder it is hard to get it to work properly. It is hairy awful complicated! It isn't just the direct injection engine per se, it is all the extra stuff they go through to heat the exhaust in the absence of being able to control fuel injection into the engine like the common rail engines.

When you get yours back with all the updates, I would be curious to know if there are slightly different directions to the user. There appeared to be two subtypes of regen in the 3350, and not sure how it is currently working.

Will be grateful for all you are able to learn..

lescarpentier

Equipment
B3350
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
As far as power, there isn’t that much difference between a B2650 and B3350 that just driving a little slower won’t compensate for.
This is a ridiculous statement.Power wise the B2650 is in the BX category.The power difference between the 2650 and 3350 is nothing short of dramatic.In addition,medium and high range of the 2650 is lower geared than the 3350 which translates into decreased productivity and about a 3mph reduction in traveling speed.Low range is the same gearing which makes little sense to me.I knew about the stigma associated with the B3350 when i bought mine nearly 3 years ago but the dealer assured me that the problems were taken care of.At well over 500 hours my 3350 has never stranded me.At 290 some hours my reformer went out and wouldn't let me complete a parked regen.This was the only warranty work that I have needed so I'm not complaining.As people put more hours on their B2650 tractors I am sure we will see problems with them too.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
This is a ridiculous statement.Power wise the B2650 is in the BX category.The power difference between the 2650 and 3350 is nothing short of dramatic.In addition,medium and high range of the 2650 is lower geared than the 3350 which translates into decreased productivity and about a 3mph reduction in traveling speed.Low range is the same gearing which makes little sense to me.I knew about the stigma associated with the B3350 when i bought mine nearly 3 years ago but the dealer assured me that the problems were taken care of.At well over 500 hours my 3350 has never stranded me.At 290 some hours my reformer went out and wouldn't let me complete a parked regen.This was the only warranty work that I have needed so I'm not complaining.As people put more hours on their B2650 tractors I am sure we will see problems with them too.
Bingo, Les.

The B3350 is MUCH more powerful than the B2650.

Glad to hear that you have had little trouble with your 3350.

I'm cautiously optimistic that my problems will go away now that Kubota has approved replacement of the reformer. They try to avoid doing so because it is a very expensive component.

SDT

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
My 3350 is in the shop(again) with the OP's symptoms also. In my case, it would never give an error code and run fine at their shop(can't fix what is not broke)
It's had a history of this same issue and has really gotten bad this year. I even was gonna trade it an "L" series, but the L's are heavier duty and but not suited for me in my handicapped condition. 3350 has better amenities also.
The dealership has worked with me and asked me to continue to use it. Shop Forman and I both agreed we needed it to go into a hard failure so they had something to repair. They were also on standby to come to get it at a moments notice. I did accomplish that a week ago.
It stopped going into regen and would just light the "check engine" light. Restarting it would clear the light. After a day this it finally stayed solid with a beeping sound every 2 seconds. And finally shows Err21 (CAN communication trouble) :) Called the shop Forman the code and he read to me a service bulleton that came out last month for the B3350 that describes all my past issues to a T. Seems the ECM and cabling are to be replaced. I will do a followup post after I get it back and use it .

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My 3350 is in the shop(again) with the OP's symptoms also. In my case, it would never give an error code and run fine at their shop(can't fix what is not broke)
It's had a history of this same issue and has really gotten bad this year. I even was gonna trade it an "L" series, but the L's are heavier duty and but not suited for me in my handicapped condition. 3350 has better amenities also.
The dealership has worked with me and asked me to continue to use it. Shop Forman and I both agreed we needed it to go into a hard failure so they had something to repair. They were also on standby to come to get it at a moments notice. I did accomplish that a week ago.
It stopped going into regen and would just light the "check engine" light. Restarting it would clear the light. After a day this it finally stayed solid with a beeping sound every 2 seconds. And finally shows Err21 (CAN communication trouble) :) Called the shop Forman the code and he read to me a service bulleton that came out last month for the B3350 that describes all my past issues to a T. Seems the ECM and cabling are to be replaced. I will do a followup post after I get it back and use it .
What year is your 3350 and what is the serial number.

Your symptoms are not the same as mine.

More than likely, your 3350 is not up to date.

That said, mine is and problems persist.

SDT

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
What year is your 3350 and what is the serial number.

Your symptoms are not the same as mine.

More than likely, your 3350 is not up to date.

That said, mine is and problems persist.

SDT
It is up to date as its ECM been factory reset and then updated. Symptoms I am referring to is the sudden shutdown and no-start for 30 minutes.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It is up to date as its ECM been factory reset and then updated. Symptoms I am referring to is the sudden shutdown and no-start for 30 minutes.
Your ECM may (or may not) be up to date but the ECM is not the only component that has changed. Among other things, the reformer changed in 2017 or 2018.

Yes, my 3350 does shut down suddenly and will not restart for 30 minutes or so, but it does not beep and there are no error codes. Diagnostics (viewable only by Kubota software) indicates T2 OT.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Today, I visited my dealership to inquire if they had heard anything yet about the cylinder head reconditioning.

The service manager told me that it was back and that the valve guides and seals had been replaced. He also told me that the seals were "shot." I consider this good news, as this is the first time that anyone has found anything wrong.

All of the parts needed for reassembly have arrived and the senior tech to whom my 3350 is assigned will return from vacation on Monday.

I expect to have it back next week and will keep members informed regarding the results.

SDT

Last edited:

lescarpentier

Equipment
B3350
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
Today, I visited my dealership to inquire if they had heard anything yet about the cylinder head reconditioning.

The service manager told me that it was back and that the valve guides and seals had been replaced. He also told me that the seals were "shot." I consider this good news, as this is the first time that anyone has found anything wrong.

All or the parts needed for reassembly have arrived and the senior tech to whom my 3350 is assigned will return from vacation on Monday.

I expect to have it back next week and will keep members informed regarding the results.

SDT
They actually disassembled your engine,and the valve guides and seals were shot? How many hours do you have on it?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
They actually disassembled your engine,and the valve guides and seals were shot? How many hours do you have on it?
Yes.

32 hours on the tractor.

I was told that the guides and seals were replaced (don't know what else) and the seals were "shot." It is unlikely that I will be able to get more information because the dealer has become rather tight lipped.

The head was sent to the Kubota approved service center for reconditioning. It was not done at the dealer.

I did not see the head after it was removed and before it was sent out but did see evidence of oil around the intake valves (especially #4) after the intake manifold was removed.

This dealer has done similar procedures on 2 or 3 other 3350s (or F series mowers with the same engine). I was told that none of these units have been back to the shop since.

SDT

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Yes.

32 hours on the tractor.

I was told that the guides and seals were replaced (don't know what else) and the seals were "shot." It is unlikely that I will be able to get more information because the dealer has become rather tight lipped.
SDT
I think I'd be a little more of an ankle biter over this. Valve guides and or seals don't get "shot" after 32 hours of use. Options are pretty limited... incompatible seal materials, incorrect final machining tolerances, missing parts, or parts damaged during assembly. I'd want an answer.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I think I'd be a little more of an ankle biter over this. Valve guides and or seals don't get "shot" after 32 hours of use. Options are pretty limited... incompatible seal materials, incorrect final machining tolerances, missing parts, or parts damaged during assembly. I'd want an answer.
It's obvious that it's a manufacturing defect of some sort (if what I was told is correct).

That said, I did not disassemble the head or see the parts after disassembly (neither did the service manager who told me that the seals were "shot"), so who knows.

The only way to be certain in such matters is to do the work oneself and this is a warranty job precluding such.

SDT

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh SDT, I know my fingers are crossed in hopes it works....

Best wishes; looking forward to a positive outcome.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

All or the parts needed for reassembly have arrived and the senior tech to whom my 3350 is assigned will return from vacation on Monday.

SDT
The saga continues.

The Sr. Tech returned from vacation 07/20 only to discover that the needed gasket set has been backordered until September. Individual gaskets were ordered this morning, 07/22, but one will not arrive at the dealer before 07/24 or 25.

As of today, my 3350 has been in the shop for ten weeks.

SDT

TimP

Equipment
B3000
Jan 16, 2012
Baltimore, MD. USA
I researched this issue before buying the 3350. The B2650 does not have the HP that I need for some of the tasks that I bought the 3350 to do.

The new version of the 3350 would be ideal, and I did not need to buy the 3350 when I did. Though I researched things thoroughly, before buying, it did not occur to me that the engine used in the 3350 is the only DPF engine sold by Kubota in tractors or mowers that is directly injected. This makes the regen system 100% different from that used on other Kubota common rail engines which are just about seamless. Had I known this, I would not have bought it. Wish I had waited.

FWIW, though a "good" customer three new tractors within the last 3 1/2 years) there is no way that my dealer would "loan" a B2650 to me to demo.

SDT
Hi SDT.

Can you please elaborate on this: "The new version of the 3350 would be ideal"?

Has Kubota released a new and improved version of the 3350 without all of the Regen problems?

Thanks !