totitan

Equipment
L2501, loader, field mower, back blade
Jul 19, 2019
Kiowa, Colorado
New member here. I bought my L2501 in March of this year just two days before the infamous bomb cyclone hit. The first chore for my new tractor was to dig through two six foot deep by ten feet wide drifts that were blocking my driveway and garage. since then Ive put 50 hours on it doing all manner of things on my 10 acre property between Elizabeth and Kiowa Colorado. I kinda wish I had bought the L3901 since the 2501 struggles a little mowing uphill but other than that its all good.

The house is new too. Just finished it, retired, and moved in a few months ago.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Welcome, the L2501 is a good machine. A good rule of thumb, once you pick the tractor you need, go one size larger.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Welcome to the forum

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Welcome.

I kinda wish I had bought the L3901 since the 2501 struggles a little mowing uphill but other than that its all good.
HST or gear drive version?

An HST transmission is a little counter-intuitive: Less pedal = more torque. We instinctively want to push harder on the pedal when the machine slows down going uphill, but in reality, this is equivalent to shifting a gear drive transmission into a higher gear and makes matters worse. What you really need to do is back off the pedal a bit to ease the load on the engine. Equivalent to downshifting a gear drive transmission.

I am assuming you have already selected a lower range with the mechanical range lever, of course.

totitan

Equipment
Jul 19, 2019
Kiowa, Colorado
Welcome.

HST or gear drive version?

An HST transmission is a little counter-intuitive: Less pedal = more torque. We instinctively want to push harder on the pedal when the machine slows down going uphill, but in reality, this is equivalent to shifting a gear drive transmission into a higher gear and makes matters worse. What you really need to do is back off the pedal a bit to ease the load on the engine. Equivalent to downshifting a gear drive transmission.

I am assuming you have already selected a lower range with the mechanical range lever, of course.
HST

Yes I have discovered the back off the pedal trick to keep the rpms up. I mostly mow in 2nd range but on parts of my property I use low.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ok, I guess you are on it then. :)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have an L2501 I just bought this year as well. I really like it. This tractor starts up quicker and smoother than any other I have ever had. I like that you can still smell diesel in the exhaust, unlike the 3301 and 3901.

I find there is adequate power. I've put 50 hours on mine in about a month. I operate quite often in low, and occasionally in medium. High for transport only.

I was concerned I wouldn't like this machine with less power, but it powers a 5-foot brush hog just fine, and a 4-foot flail mower very well. I've also used mine to spread pelletized fertilizer.

totitan

Equipment
Jul 19, 2019
Kiowa, Colorado
I have an L2501 I just bought this year as well. I really like it. This tractor starts up quicker and smoother than any other I have ever had. I like that you can still smell diesel in the exhaust, unlike the 3301 and 3901.

I find there is adequate power. I've put 50 hours on mine in about a month. I operate quite often in low, and occasionally in medium. High for transport only.

I was concerned I wouldn't like this machine with less power, but it powers a 5-foot brush hog just fine, and a 4-foot flail mower very well. I've also used mine to spread pelletized fertilizer.
This is my first tractor so I dont have much to compare it with but I did look closely at the comparable JD machines and found that Kubota is better in every way. Ive used my loader, back blade, and mower a lot and and am pleasantly surprised how well it performs for what it cost.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yeah, I agree. I was going to buy a B2601 (had a B2920) but the money was nearly the same. There are a few things about the B2601 I like better, but I felt like the L2501 is a lot of tractor for the money.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Welcome to the forums! I'm fairly new here as well. I got a L2501 a few months ago as well. I don't even have 20 hours on it yet. I have a list of jobs I want to do but am waiting more on the fall when the weather will be more favorable. Most all my hours however have been put on the machine in the woods doing land clearing, pushing piles, lifting logs, dragging with box blade, etc. For a small 25 horse machine it has surprised me at how capable it is. I use a root rake on the FEL and keep a box blade on the 3 point. You can do a lot of good woods clearing with this combo ive found. Down trees, push them with the tractor into a pile, burn the piles, drag the area with the box blade to take off the top level of leaves and matted jump to get down to the dirt. I plan to clear a good garden spot this fall with it, but its all sitting in pretty thick woods right now.

totitan

Equipment
Jul 19, 2019
Kiowa, Colorado
Welcome to the forums! I'm fairly new here as well. I got a L2501 a few months ago as well. I don't even have 20 hours on it yet. I have a list of jobs I want to do but am waiting more on the fall when the weather will be more favorable. Most all my hours however have been put on the machine in the woods doing land clearing, pushing piles, lifting logs, dragging with box blade, etc. For a small 25 horse machine it has surprised me at how capable it is. I use a root rake on the FEL and keep a box blade on the 3 point. You can do a lot of good woods clearing with this combo ive found. Down trees, push them with the tractor into a pile, burn the piles, drag the area with the box blade to take off the top level of leaves and matted jump to get down to the dirt. I plan to clear a good garden spot this fall with it, but its all sitting in pretty thick woods right now.
Very cool. Ive been busy mowing 7 acres of prairie, plowing and grading my long driveway, and excavating a site for my future shop and using the material to make a RV parking area. I had to stop for a couple of months for a heart surgery but Im good to go now.