Coolest Sounding Motorcycle EVER

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
This is an oldie so you may have seen this but its worth another peek just to admire this guys handiwork. He made the engine and tranny as well as most of the rest of the bike. Just amazing talent... BUT THE SOUND!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyP7lCO6WBg

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
That radial installation is one of the best/cleanest to date but, you still have to carry around a few quarts of oil to keep the thing lubed, just like an aircraft engine. (Hence the cardboard..) Neat pipes but I bet they get toasty on the road. Sounds great though.

More on the Franz Flyer...

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/160183/

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Heat shields, we don't got no heat shields,,,we dont need no stinking heat shields

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Any of the Yamaha R1 engines.

At part throttle, say below 8,000 RPM, it sounds like a sprint car. Wonderful sound to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C08WE4WZWlc
A buddy had a Harley FXDI and Yamaha R1 for quite a while - - odd combination, but he was in his 60's, and rode all his life.

Got a ticket for 75mph in a 45 with the R1....pretty sure he said he was in 1st gear....:eek:

He sold the R1 shortly after that...something about severe speeding violations could lead to seizure of the bike by the State (FL?)....figured the Harley was less risk...:p

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
One of the newer BMW bikes will do 100 in first!

My bro just sold his FJ1000. What a great bike. Pulled like a freight train. A buddy got a new FJ 1300 last year and riding through New Mexico came upon a valley road, straight as an arrow for like 5 miles, he opened it up and it was still pulling at 154mph... stock. Just amazing. He said, "I now know it can do it and I never need to go back there."

LOL...

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
One of the newer BMW bikes will do 100 in first!

My bro just sold his FJ1000. What a great bike. Pulled like a freight train. A buddy got a new FJ 1300 last year and riding through New Mexico came upon a valley road, straight as an arrow for like 5 miles, he opened it up and it was still pulling at 154mph... stock. Just amazing. He said, "I now know it can do it and I never need to go back there."

LOL...
The new FJRs are electrically speed limited to 145mph...awesome ride and quiet!

Im not a fan of noisy bikes, cars and trucks. Those guys need to park em in the garage with the motor running and doors closed to get the best effect.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
TYPO: FJ1100.

Yeah, my buddy had his whole injection system modified by the dealer! They put on a new "Commander" and somehow, it does not void your warranty. (???) That speed restriction was evidently deleted as part of the engine control system. I'd be worried about the "tars" but, he was only there for a few seconds.

Then, they took it to a dyno and broke it in on the dyno, kinda like Len and his Diesel recommendation. After the wide-open dyno, which I guess only lasts a few minutes, he adhered to the suggested break-in speed and RPM limits until he got the mileage under his belt. I guess the prevailing theory is, Yamaha puts the bike on a dyno at the factory and tests it before hitting the track for a hot lap. I guess the extra heat on the dyno after purchase helps seat the rings without putting too much strain on the bearings, or at least for very long. My buddy says his machine is still incredibly willing to haul ass even on the "economy" setting.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Had a Yamaha Fazer as a kid just out of college....600cc bike.

Never found top-end, but did 130+ regularly.....did 100+ with my girlfriend on often (she still married me:)).

At middle-age, my Harley never saw 90...did 80 or so once with one of my daughters on.

My truck hasn't seen 80 in 2 years....usually 60 or less....

I'm noticing a trend....;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Dealer I work for has sold a few R1's and FJR's and that sort of thing. The break-in procedure for the R1 and R1M (aka M1) are as follows: Start engine and let it idle only until the fans come on. Shut it down, let it sit until cooled off completely. Repeat. Next cycle is the driving break-in. Run it through all 6 gears shifting at 4000 RPM maximum, do it twice, then turn it off & let it cool. Repeat the next time but at 7000 RPM.

Well...at 7,000 RPM in first gear, you're already exceeding the speed limit on most of the highways around here. Ridiculous.

At redline in first gear, the M1 runs about 93 mph. Figure it's 100 on the limiter. Ridiculous!

But that's not the fastest (although my favorite). Had to road test an H2R the other day. Supercharged 1000cc Kawasaki. Talk about stupid. NOBODY needs a bike with 300+ hp. The owner asked me to do the initial test ride. We are lucky to have an abandoned road beside work to test on but I rarely do the testing unless it's a requirement like on the R1/M1 and the H2/H2R/H2S and even then I don't like it much. There are youtube videos of people topping out speeds on the H2's. Overseas, they removed the limiters and mirrors on an H2R in 2016 and it went 230mph and the rider felt like it was RPM limited, could have used some gear changes and might have seen 235 or more. That's MILES per hour not Km/hr. It was well over 400 Km/hr. An H2R is over $50,000 and not road legal but the H2 IS road legal and a little less money. And no you can't "convert" an H2 to H2R specs; lots of differences inside the engine, and no you can't turn up the boost (yet) because noone makes drive gears for the supercharger (that I know of). Besides who would need any more power? It's stupid as it is--even the "low" powered versions.