M6060 loses power working

Keith Molden

Equipment
M6060
Oct 6, 2018
Pomeroy, Ohio
My M6060 has 278 hours on it and I haven't owned it 2 years yet. It's about 5 miles one way by road to the fields I've been making hay in. Pulled the baler over to the field and after 7 or 8 bales (4x4 bales) it started loosing rpms. It finally was down in the 300s when we took the baler off and finished with the Massey 255. I drained the fuel tank, blew out the hoses and changed the fuel filter. Checked the air cleaner, clean, changed the hydraulic-trans fluid. Nothing helped so Monday I took it to the dealer. They had it all week, pulled the fuel tank, blew out the lines and put it on a dyno for 2 hours and can't find anything wrong with it. I'm going after it tomorrow morning and will see what happens. My thought is, the tractor was sitting in the shop running while on the Dyno and will probably do the rpm drop again when it goes in the field running on rough ground. Anybody have an idea what I should check when it does it again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Anybody have an idea what I should check when it does it again.
How fresh was your fuel?
How long is is sitting between running and not?
Do you treat your fuel with a biocide?

Besides making sure the fuel is good, and the filters are clean, there really isn't a lot you can do with a common rail engine.
Do not get into any of the pumps, as they are extremely precise and extremely expensive pieces. ;)

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Every time I see a post like this it reminds me of my experience with my M6800 so I share what I found. My tractor would bog down when I started my disc mower and sometimes die but always started back up. Finally decided to follow the fuel line which first took me to my water separator bowl where I found the clog at the bowl separator shutoff. Tore into the shutoff and there it was, grass. Problem solved. I know this is not the answer every time but my M6800 runs great ever since. Watch fuel level in separator bowl, if it fluctuates there is your blockage. It should remain constant.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I also owned a M4900 that acted similar to ZD326S tractor that had blockage in a tiny screen in fuel shut off valve. My M7040 fuel shut off valve doesn't have that same type tiny screen.